Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

A little over 2 years ago I decided that I wanted to put some drawers in the bed of my truck to store my gear. I knew I wanted something watertight and I also wanted to still be able to load the back of the truck if need be. After doing a lot of research on what was available and what I wanted I came to the realization that I only had a couple of options. I could go with something like weather guards bed drawers or I could go with this brand new product from a company called Decked.

Since you are ready this post about Decked drawers obviously I choose Decked, but before I made the purchase I made sure to talk to them on what I wanted and what I expected.
I was re assured that the Decked drawers would fit my needs. The Decked drawers are completely watertight, can withstand a 2000 pound payload and is exclusively made in the USA.

A few days after I made the purchase the large bo
x on a pallet arrived at my house. I was able to convince a couple of friends of mine to come over and help me assemble it. After going over the instructions and laying out the parts we got to work. The drawers are assembled in two half's.
Once both half's are assembled they are moved into the truck and bolted together. The neat thing about these drawers is that you use the factory tow hook locations to tie it down so there is no need to drill into your bed. Total install took us about an hour.

At this point in my trucks build I still had a camper shell and was using the Decked drawers as a sleeping platform. After a night in the high
sierras in the low 40's I decided to add a 1/2" heavy floor mat (like used in gyms) for insulation and a 3" foam mattress for comfort. This setup was used for about a year until I decided to upgrade to a RTT and get rid of the camper shell. With the camper shell gone it was time to see how watertight the system was going to be.

After running the system for over 2 years I do have some complaints. My first gripe is that the drawers do not fully extend open. I would say they
only open about 75% which makes the last foot very hard to get too. The second gripe is that the dividers that you get do not work very well off road. In my experience they would wiggle out of place and if you had loose items in the different sections it would become one big jumbled mess (though I have heard this has been fixed in the newer generations). Until very recently my drawers were not very organized and I had considered getting rid of them.

This all changed when I saw Decked post about some new Drawer boxes they were developing and would soon be offering.
I waited it out and I am very happy that I did. The new Decked D boxes are amazing. The construction and finish is second to none. I was lucky enough to have partner up with Decked on reviewing their new Decked D boxes and after organizing all my gear in the 4 boxes I can now say that I once again love my Decked drawers. The gear stays put and it is now completely organized.
My only issue is that all 4 of the boxes look the same so I need to find a way to neatly Mark them so i know what is in what.

If you own a Full size Truck and need a way to store all your gear then the Decked system is a must especially when its paired with their D boxes. You can find more specific details about them here: Decked Drawers

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Great system & I've seen it in person. They don't make it for Tacoma so low score from me! Seems it would be a perfect market for them. [emoji53]

Reactions: Raul B

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

I looked into these when I was looking to build my platform. They seem great if your truck bed is being exposed to the elements, and the price is pretty reasonable. I spent close to $500 just in materials for my build. Nice review. They need to make them for Tacoma's and other mid sized, man they a missing a huge market.

Reactions: Raul B

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I looked into these when I was looking to build my platform. They seem great if your truck bed is being exposed to the elements, and the price is pretty reasonable. I spent close to $500 just in materials for my build. Nice review. They need to make them for Tacoma's and other mid sized, man they a missing a huge market.
That's the key. It's pretty much the only bed drawer setup that can be exposed or the elements.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

The gear stays put and it is now completely organized.
My only issue is that all 4 of the boxes look the same so I need to find a way to neatly Mark them so i know what is in what.
I feel like the need for the boxes defeats the purposes of the drawers, plus losing a little more space. my hesitation with putting in a drawer system has always been the lost space, which looks significant when looking at the gaps around the drawers.
As for marking, I would put a strip of duct tape on the boxes and write on it with a sharpie. so if you change contents, you just pull off the tape and replace it.

Reactions: chuckles89

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I see your point about the boxes but trust me it's way more organize like this. Without the boxes everything would be everywhere after a day on the trail. I do agree that there is alot of dead space but until someone can create a drawer setup that is not only weatherproof but also support the 2k lbs on top of it I'm afraid this is all you get. Don't get me wrong I like the system.. But I also don't love it.

Reactions: Vyscera

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Thanks for the write up. I am seriously thinking about buying this system. I understand that it may not be perfect, but way better then what I have now.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
This system was in a used truck I purchased and I went from excited the guy left it in for my purchase to frustrated and ready to put it at the end of the driveway for free.

-Felt cheap
- draws do not have a lot of room
-The draws do not glide well
-The lock out sometimes clicked but did not lock
-Draws did not open all the way.
-Took up to much room

Gave the thing away to a buddy.. He gave it back in a few months.

I ended trading it to a local electrician who took it out of his truck and its sitting at his shop.

Total garbage.

—————————

Hey Now!

Thanks for the response.

This is not good! Was really hoping that this would be the solution to my problems.
How long ago did you have these? Is there a chance that yours were an early version?
I Don't mind it reducing the depth of the bed, But it NEEDS to function properly.

Last edited:

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
For all the Tacoma and other mid-sized people out there, take a look at TruckVault (http://www.truckvault.com/index.php). They offer a weatherproof storage solution that looks very good. I don't have one yet for my Taco, but it is on my list. I would love to hear from anyone with experience using one.

Reactions: TWT

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
For all the Tacoma and other mid-sized people out there, take a look at TruckVault (http://www.truckvault.com/index.php). They offer a weatherproof storage solution that looks very good. I don't have one yet for my Taco, but it is on my list. I would love to hear from anyone with experience using one.
Just looked at those. Really nice, tons of options. Why are these systems so expensive though?

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
That's the key. It's pretty much the only bed drawer setup that can be exposed or the elements.

Truckvault makes one that's very secure and weatherproof - and not cheap. I've been looking at both for a little while, both have their good points and things I'm not thrilled with. - But those d-boxes look great. That makes for a very nice system.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I have a question.. Once this system is installed, how easy is it to remove? Say I need to move a fridge,washer and dryer and don't want them sitting up so high in the bed..Can the Decked system be taken out relatively quick and simple?

adaman7

Rank I

Contributor III

Do you have a picture of your bed on top of the decked system? I am considering this myself but I am concerned about head room. My wife and I sleep in the back and I am worried we won't have enough room to sit up in a regular sized camper top. Thanks for the help in advance.