Enthusiast II

Walnut Creek, CA, EUA
First Name
Rodrigo
Last Name
Domingues
Member #

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to Death Valley in the last week of November, anyone has any tips? Places I can't miss?

Does anyone want to join? I'm open to any trip size for that week :)

rodrigosd88

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Walnut Creek, CA, EUA
First Name
Rodrigo
Last Name
Domingues
Member #

Hey @Mike G ,
I'm still planning the route, I'll take any suggestions since you already been there. What do you think is a good trip? I'm game for anything...

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Hey @Mike G ,
I'm still planning the route, I'll take any suggestions since you already been there. What do you think is a good trip? I'm game for anything...
What days are you planning on being at DV. Would it be, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday?

Off the top of my head, I recommend going to the Racetrack, town of Rhyolite then Titus canyon road, Cotton wood canyon then to Marble canyon for a short hike to the narrows ( if you like hiking)

Reactions: rodrigosd88

rodrigosd88

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Walnut Creek, CA, EUA
First Name
Rodrigo
Last Name
Domingues
Member #

I was planning to go on the weekend before and stay from saturday/sunday to wed.... I'm going to make a route on gaia and share it here :)

Chadd J

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lake Hughes, CA, USA
Member #

I did Death Valley Back in May. For a 2wd easy run, here are the destinations in order. Saline Valley Road>Teakettle junction>Racetrack>Ubehebe. After this you end up on the road. From there, you can check out Titus and Marble Canyon. For a 4wd run, I recommend checking out the salt tram and cerro gordo which drops you into saline valley. I did that run on my dual sport. Definitely a bit more difficult and adds quite a bit of time to your run but its doable with 4wd. It was 30 degrees at the salt tram last weekend so beware of snow if you intend on taking that run. Barker Ranch is also another good one for those with 4wd.

JeffMerlet

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Merlet
I did Death Valley Back in May. For a 2wd easy run, here are the destinations in order. Saline Valley Road>Teakettle junction>Racetrack>Ubehebe. After this you end up on the road. From there, you can check out Titus and Marble Canyon. For a 4wd run, I recommend checking out the salt tram and cerro gordo which drops you into saline valley. I did that run on my dual sport. Definitely a bit more difficult and adds quite a bit of time to your run but its doable with 4wd. It was 30 degrees at the salt tram last weekend so beware of snow if you intend on taking that run. Barker Ranch is also another good one for those with 4wd.
Yes last weekend was nuts with over 80 in Mazourka on Saturday, and then freezing by the tram with insane wind. Where you also doing the Lone Pine 300?

Chadd J

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lake Hughes, CA, USA
Member #

Yes last weekend was nuts with over 80 in Mazourka on Saturday, and then freezing by the tram with insane wind. Where you also doing the Lone Pine 300?
Yes Sir!! I was riding with @dualsportadvocate. First day was AMAZING. Second day was absolutley miserable. You already know hahaha. We only did the run to the salt tram>cerro gordo>back to lone pine. My camelbak sprung a leak and was dripping on my pants. By the time I got to the tram, they were frozen solid hahaha. Definitely wanna do that run in my 4runner. There was a little camping spot off the trail about 15 miles up.

JeffMerlet

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Merlet
Yes Sir!! I was riding with @dualsportadvocate. First day was AMAZING. Second day was absolutley miserable. You already know hahaha. We only did the run to the salt tram>cerro gordo>back to lone pine. My camelbak sprung a leak and was dripping on my pants. By the time I got to the tram, they were frozen solid hahaha. Definitely wanna do that run in my 4runner. There was a little camping spot off the trail about 15 miles up.
Yes that first day was amazing! Your camelbak experience sounds miserable
We did a little bit more by going down from Cerro Gordo on the east side, then around the back of boxcar and straight to the plateau by Darwin and then back by Olancha. Then road direct to Lone Pine mid afternoon with a head on sand storm!!

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to Death Valley in the last week of November, anyone has any tips? Places I can't miss?

Does anyone want to join? I'm open to any trip size for that week :)
How many people with you? I'm super interested - I was gonna go with these crew but they sounded serious and needed a few things in order to go on a trail with them LOL

I was a bit intimated so Im planning on going with my wife this ThanksGiving.

Let me know what your plan - I'm in San Jose.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Plans have changed for me so I’ll have to pass on this trip. Have fun everyone.

Here’s a tip for everyone. Buy gas at Stove Pip Wells, it’s cheaper then Furnace Creek and Panamint Spring.

Adjustments.JPG

Blue Falcon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

To clarify this would be SVR to Hunter Mountain to Hidden Valley to Teakettle. From Teakettle a right turn (Northeast) will take you to Ubehebe Crater and pavement. A left turn (Southwest) will take you to The Racetrack. The road from Teakettle to Ubehebe is usually the worst washboard in the park. If you have off-road experience you could access The Racetrack via Lippincott then to Ubehebe.

The White Mountain Talc Road from the backside of Cerro Gordo is fairly rough.

My suggestion if this is your first trip is to use the NatGeo map. I like it better than the Harrison map. Hit the tourist sites. Going to Ubehebe then The Racetrack is also a good first trip spot or Eureka Dunes. As noted previously it depends on which part of the park you are entering from. It is the largest national park in the lower 48.

Reactions: AL.WVSN

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Have you figured out your itinerary yet? I'm off on those dates and depending on your start and finish, I may be able to tag along if your still allowing people in.

rodrigosd88

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Walnut Creek, CA, EUA
First Name
Rodrigo
Last Name
Domingues
Member #

Hey guys,

sorry, it took me a while to see all the posts... I had some crazy weeks at work.

I'm finishing my route plans... for now, I've just tried to put together places I want to visit, not the order, so the map has some points and some routes, but I did not define the order yet. Also, I will add Titus Canyon. I'll update the folder directly, but for now, they look like this: GaiaGPS - Death Valley

For dates, my plan is to be at the park on Saturday (11/23) and stay until Wed (11/27), I'm in Walnut Creek so I have to add the travel time.

@smritte , this is my plan so far. I did not have time to organize everyone, so far is just me.

@AL.WVSN , come aboard :) It is just me for now. I open to itinerary suggestions... we can plan all this together. Here is where I stand so far.

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

Hey guys,

sorry, it took me a while to see all the posts... I had some crazy weeks at work.

I'm finishing my route plans... for now, I've just tried to put together places I want to visit, not the order, so the map has some points and some routes, but I did not define the order yet. Also, I will add Titus Canyon. I'll update the folder directly, but for now, they look like this: GaiaGPS - Death Valley

For dates, my plan is to be at the park on Saturday (11/23) and stay until Wed (11/27), I'm in Walnut Creek so I have to add the travel time.

@smritte , this is my plan so far. I did not have time to organize everyone, so far is just me.

@AL.WVSN , come aboard :) It is just me for now. I open to itinerary suggestions... we can plan all this together. Here is where I stand so far.
I can only go during the week of thanksgiving - 11/26 - 11/30. If this doesn't work out - I will prolly go to Portland / Seattle.

Reactions: rodrigosd88