Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
A standard frs handheld would work though at least close range.
Cool, that’s what we’ve used so far.
Cool yeah I can run on certain frs channels. Don’t think I can act as a repeater (it’s been a while since using it) but I think we’ll get about a mile or two out of it.

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Here is a drone shot of a clearing where we set up camp. It was perfect. It was a clearing for a power line where there was a maintenance box of some kind. It was mowed for access. Overall, it was just a great trail.

Here are a couple drone shots of an overlook over the Red River Gorge. Beautiful country down there! Well worth the trip!

I really wish I could go with you guys!
That’s awesome. We can just plan another one right after the first of the year. I already drive down there a few times a year and hike RRG so it’s no biggie to me. I just like to get out.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
That’s awesome. We can just plan another one right after the first of the year. I already drive down there a few times a year and hike RRG so it’s no biggie to me. I just like to get out.
Alright I'm good to go for 12-18/12-20. Waiting to hear from my buddy if he'll go. But I'll go regardless.

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Okay I'll dig through some notes and get them up on Gaia.
Awesome, thanks man. I have a tow strap, 12k winch (and tree strap of course), and maxtrax. Should be enough to get us out of trouble. I also have on board air to air us back up.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Awesome, thanks man. I have a tow strap, 12k winch (and tree strap of course), and maxtrax. Should be enough to get us out of trouble. I also have on board air to air us back up.
Awesome. Yeah i have a kinetic rope, compressor, and hitch mounted recovery point if needed as well. Same as my buddy too so between the 3 (possibly 4 of us if he can make it we should be good).

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Awesome. Yeah i have a kinetic rope, compressor, and hitch mounted recovery point if needed as well. Same as my buddy too so between the 3 (possibly 4 of us if he can make it we should be good).
Perfect. What does he drive?

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Hey @DanW these look like they match your description of the rock obstacle. Do you mind taking a look?

View attachment 179167
I'd bet that's it! We went north, so the narrows hazard is a consistent description of what I remember going through before we got to the rocks. And it was pretty straight, too. It was also downhill with occiasional ruts, but I still think a full size would handle that part of it, albiet with a few pin stripes from brush. But as more people run the trail, it might beat back some of the brush. I was there in July, I believe.

Also, I found a GPX file on a motorcycle site of the whole map. I uploaded it to my Garmin Overlander and the map was spot-on. I'm sure it can be uploaded into Gaia, too. I'll try to remember where I got it. Everyone in our Jeep club, plus the DNR, cautioned me that it probably would not be accurate, but it was. Like I said, spot-on. Every turn.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Hey @DanW these look like they match your description of the rock obstacle. Do you mind taking a look?

View attachment 179167
I'd bet that's it! We went north, so the narrows hazard is a consistent description of what I remember going through before we got to the rocks. And it was pretty straight, too. It was also downhill with occiasional ruts, but I still think a full size would handle that part of it, albiet with a few pin stripes from brush. But as more people run the trail, it might beat back some of the brush. I was there in July, I believe.

Also, I found a GPX file on a motorcycle site of the whole map. I uploaded it to my Garmin Overlander and the map was spot-on. I'm sure it can be uploaded into Gaia, too. I'll try to remember where I got it. Everyone in our Jeep club, plus the DNR, cautioned me that it probably would not be accurate, but it was. Like I said, spot-on. Every turn.
Thanks for the info! Out of curiosity. How do you like the Garmin Overlander? I really like Gaia but I’ve been wanting a dedicated GPS unit for sometime now to run along with Gaia.

Last edited:

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Thanks for the info! Out of curiosity. How do you like the Garmin Overlander? I really like Gaia but I’ve been wanting a dedicated GPS unit for sometime now to run along with Gaia.
I love it. I particularly love the 3D view of the terrain. I'll throw a pic up later of what that looks like right on the DBBB. I also love that it interfaces with my Inreach and it has wireless camera capability. I had one on the bottom of my Jeep looking forward so I could spot wheel placement and avoid rocks with the diff. It even came in handy to tell how deep I was getting into water or mud. I had it mounted on a cross member in a place I've not hit in a Jeep in 30 years of off-roading. Then on about the 2nd trip out, I nailed the thing, cutting the power cable and beating the hell out of the camera itself. Lol. So I bought another camera and have mounted it to the front bumper. I can now at least see better when cresting a steep hill. But you can add up to 4 cameras and reverse the image for forward view. Garmin made that software change about a week after I suggested it to them, so they are a super responsive company. It also uploads GPX files easily and I've used its campground finder to good effect on the Appalachian Byway. The price is steep, but I lucked into one for $400 bucks, brand new and unopened, on Ebay. I like it enough that I'd pay a sale price for one if I didn't have it. That'd be $499 or so, I think.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I love it. I particularly love the 3D view of the terrain. I'll throw a pic up later of what that looks like right on the DBBB. I also love that it interfaces with my Inreach and it has wireless camera capability. I had one on the bottom of my Jeep looking forward so I could spot wheel placement and avoid rocks with the diff. It even came in handy to tell how deep I was getting into water or mud. I had it mounted on a cross member in a place I've not hit in a Jeep in 30 years of off-roading. Then on about the 2nd trip out, I nailed the thing, cutting the power cable and beating the hell out of the camera itself. Lol. So I bought another camera and have mounted it to the front bumper. I can now at least see better when cresting a steep hill. But you can add up to 4 cameras and reverse the image for forward view. Garmin made that software change about a week after I suggested it to them, so they are a super responsive company. It also uploads GPX files easily and I've used its campground finder to good effect on the Appalachian Byway. The price is steep, but I lucked into one for $400 bucks, brand new and unopened, on Ebay. I like it enough that I'd pay a sale price for one if I didn't have it. That'd be $499 or so, I think.
Awesome thanks for the review! That sold me as it was on sale today. Normally $699 but got it for $599 plus traffic attachment.

Reactions: DanW