Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
@DK4Runner my buddy has a full-size pickup. Ram 1500. Do you think it would be able to handle it? It’s pretty much stock but at least has KO2s on it.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

@DK4Runner my buddy has a full-size pickup. Ram 1500. Do you think it would be able to handle it? It’s pretty much stock but at least has KO2s on it.
It would do everything except probably one spot, which was TOUGH. We had a group of about 20 Jeeps, all lifted with at least 35's on them. Everyone was on the skid plates hard. My JL Rubicon has a 3" lift and 35's and was on the cross members on the rock in a pretty good way. I had lockers locked at both ends and the sway bar disconnected and really struggled to get over it. It was the hardest obstacle I've done in my Jeep and I've been through some pretty hairy ones from Moab to Windrock. But this one was the toughest I've tried. I think with an expert driver my 08 Rubicon with 33's and a 2" lift might be able to make it, but it would be a stretch. It isn't just the big rocks, but also VERY tight turns. Several Jeeps hit their differentials pretty good, too, which made me buy a front Rancho differential slider and an ARB nodular iron diff cover for the rear. The guy hitting his the hardest had the Rancho and it handled the hit. Not sure how the stock cover would have done with that one. Fortunately, I didn't hit my diff covers. But it was close, according to spotters.

Unfortunately, with all the pics/video, not a single person photographed or filmed my Jeep going over it! Lol. I wasn't thrilled about that.

Anyway, the DBBB is great and I think that truck would make it over 99% of it. I wish I'd marked exactly where that obstacle was.

The Gladiator had about a 3" lift and 35's on it and pretty beefy differential skids, which he hit, too. wheelbase actually played somewhat to his favor because when one end was hung up, the other had solid traction to push/pull it over. He did bend a rear sway bar link pretty badly, though. He drove home with no problem but did have to replace it.

What is not visible here is the tight turns just after the big rock. Even lifted with big tires, a full size truck would have struggled there. The Gladiator certainly did, but its turning radius is much tighter than expected, and it isn't a wide truck.

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

It would do everything except probably one spot, which was TOUGH. We had a group of about 20 Jeeps, all lifted with at least 35's on them. Everyone was on the skid plates hard. My JL Rubicon has a 3" lift and 35's and was on the cross members on the rock in a pretty good way. I had lockers locked at both ends and the sway bar disconnected and really struggled to get over it. It was the hardest obstacle I've done in my Jeep and I've been through some pretty hairy ones from Moab to Windrock. But this one was the toughest I've tried. I think with an expert driver my 08 Rubicon with 33's and a 2" lift might be able to make it, but it would be a stretch. It isn't just the big rocks, but also VERY tight turns. Several Jeeps hit their differentials pretty good, too, which made me buy a front Rancho differential slider and an ARB nodular iron diff cover for the rear. The guy hitting his the hardest had the Rancho and it handled the hit. Not sure how the stock cover would have done with that one. Fortunately, I didn't hit my diff covers. But it was close, according to spotters.

Unfortunately, with all the pics/video, not a single person photographed or filmed my Jeep going over it! Lol. I wasn't thrilled about that.

Anyway, the DBBB is great and I think that truck would make it over 99% of it. I wish I'd marked exactly where that obstacle was.

The Gladiator had about a 3" lift and 35's on it and pretty beefy differential skids, which he hit, too. wheelbase actually played somewhat to his favor because when one end was hung up, the other had solid traction to push/pull it over. He did bend a rear sway bar link pretty badly, though. He drove home with no problem but did have to replace it.

What is not visible here is the tight turns just after the big rock. Even lifted with big tires, a full size truck would have struggled there. The Gladiator certainly did, but its turning radius is much tighter than expected, and it isn't a wide truck.

Does the section in question have a bypass?

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I don't think so. It ran along a big rock cliff to the right and a cliff-dropoff on the left. What I do remember was that it was after a very muddy and slick section of trail that went through some guy's property. The KY DNR told our group leader that the guy thinks its his private road and it is public and they've warned him about harassing people. He didn't bother us. Probably because we were a large group. But I just can't remember exactly where it was on the trail. I will ask our Jeep club members that were there and see if someone can pinpoint it. There were also some narrow spots, but I still think a full size could navigate them. You might get some pin stripes from the vegetation, though.

IIRC, there was room to turn around and go back. The trip back would be mostly uphill and would be much easier if dry. But I think it'd be do-able. I also run KO2s and they did handle the mud. They do better in mud than I ever expected and than anyone with mud tires expects out of them. I've not had to winch out of mud with my Jeep yet. Close, but not yet, and that includes some deep Kentucky gumbo, too! Lol! You just need a bit more tire spin than the mud tire guys have to get.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I don't think so. It ran along a big rock cliff to the right and a cliff-dropoff on the left. What I do remember was that it was after a very muddy and slick section of trail that went through some guy's property. The KY DNR told our group leader that the guy thinks its his private road and it is public and they've warned him about harassing people. He didn't bother us. Probably because we were a large group. But I just can't remember exactly where it was on the trail. I will ask our Jeep club members that were there and see if someone can pinpoint it. There were also some narrow spots, but I still think a full size could navigate them. You might get some pin stripes from the vegetation, though.
Funny you bring up a local claiming the road is his. I have this very thing in my notes from when I was researching this about a year ago

Reactions: DanW

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

....One more thing...you can see the area benind the Gladiator. It is easily big enough to turn around.

I'd ask the DNR in the area where that spot is. I'd bet they can tell you and they could show you if there is a way around it. I think if you find that section of trail you can find a way to avoid it.

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

IIRC, there was room to turn around and go back. The trip back would be mostly uphill and would be much easier if dry. But I think it'd be do-able. I also run KO2s and they did handle the mud. They do better in mud than I ever expected and than anyone with mud tires expects out of them. I've not had to winch out of mud with my Jeep yet. Close, but not yet, and that includes some deep Kentucky gumbo, too! Lol! You just need a bit more tire spin than the mud tire guys have to get.
Thanks a lot for the info. If you could find a pin for that spot that’d be awesome.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
....One more thing...you can see the area benind the Gladiator. It is easily big enough to turn around.

I'd ask the DNR in the area where that spot is. I'd bet they can tell you and they could show you if there is a way around it. I think if you find that section of trail you can find a way to avoid it.
That makes me feel better about it then. Thank you for all the good intel!

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

My buddy is good with 18-20 if you’re sure that weekend is good for you. Let me know and we can lock it in. Nice little pre-Christmas run.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Funny you bring up a local claiming the road is his. I have this very thing in my notes from when I was researching this about a year ago
We didn't want any grief from him, Lol, but I had a big can of bear spray and a little something else for 4 legged threats that would work exceptionally well on a 2 legged threat. But honestly I've not heard of him getting violent. I did hear that he may have brandished a shotgun at someone at some point, but that's just rumor. We only saw his dogs. They had their chests puffed out, though, acting tough and all. :sweatsmile:

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
My buddy is good with 18-20 if you’re sure that weekend is good for you. Let me know and we can lock it in. Nice little pre-Christmas run.
Okay let me see what’s going on for sure. I will confirm by this Saturday. As for my buddy I’m not sure. One last question what are you using for Comms? I’m running a GMRS unit.

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Okay let me see what’s going on for sure. I will confirm by this Saturday. As for my buddy I’m not sure. One last question what are you using for Comms? I’m running a GMRS unit.
I actually don’t have any comms set up yet. I’ve been planning to grab a handheld CB with a magnetic antenna and would do so for this trip but it sounds like that wouldn’t be useful anyways.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Here is a drone shot of a clearing where we set up camp. It was perfect. It was a clearing for a power line where there was a maintenance box of some kind. It was mowed for access. Overall, it was just a great trail.

Here are a couple drone shots of an overlook over the Red River Gorge. Beautiful country down there! Well worth the trip!

I really wish I could go with you guys!

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I actually don’t have any comms set up yet. I’ve been planning to grab a handheld CB with a magnetic antenna and would do so for this trip but it sounds like that wouldn’t be useful anyways.
Yeah that likely won’t help. I’ve been meaning to get a CB as well for other groups. HAM is on the list too but I kinda pinned that since COVID hit.