Yorktown, Indiana, United States
First Name
Jasen
Last Name
Ulmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9HBC
It just takes one person to ruin it for everyone.
Yorktown huh? I lived in Muncie for 10 years, graduated from Ball State. Born and raised in New Castle (don’t hold that against me :))
Yep, Yorktown born and raised. Lived here most of my life. Wife works at Ball State. Small world...

Advocate III

First Name
Jasen
Last Name
Ulmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9HBC
Did anyone get good GPS coordinates for the rock obstacle on the DBBB? I've heard it can be tricky in mud w/open diffs. One of the vehicles that may be coming with me is completely open. Any help would be appreciated.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Did anyone get good GPS coordinates for the rock obstacle on the DBBB? I've heard it can be tricky in mud w/open diffs. One of the vehicles that may be coming with me is completely open. Any help would be appreciated.
It’s located on old fincastle road. Picture has coordinates

Attachments

Advocate III

First Name
Jasen
Last Name
Ulmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9HBC
Thank you very much!

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Thank you very much!
No problem. And it’s no joke. Not sure we could do it. even though our whole crew is lifted now (I was not at the time of the trip). I think we’ll have more traction boards next time so we will likely attempt.

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Yea I think that's one that you don't want to attempt without decent armor.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Unfortunately, I've not been able to pinpoint it and neither has anyone in the club. I thought surely we could figure it out. I only remember it being not too far after going down the road that the local guy mistakenly thinks is his private property.

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Unfortunately, I've not been able to pinpoint it and neither has anyone in the club. I thought surely we could figure it out. I only remember it being not too far after going down the road that the local guy mistakenly thinks is his private property.
Well my truck is g2g so let's go tackle the rock section and get a definitive marker for other folks moving forward. :)

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Well my truck is g2g so let's go tackle the rock section and get a definitive marker for other folks moving forward. :)
I hope to have mine ready the next time too.

Advocate III

First Name
Jasen
Last Name
Ulmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9HBC
Rock obstacle

37.6460480, -83.6471150

Reactions: DanW

Advocate III

First Name
Jasen
Last Name
Ulmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9HBC
Rock obstacle

37.6460480, -83.6471150

The deep water crossing is where Walker Creek crosses section 4.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Rock obstacle

37.6460480, -83.6471150

Any idea on how deep on average? Obviously it changes depending on rainfall/snow melt

Advocate III

First Name
Jasen
Last Name
Ulmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9HBC
Rock obstacle

37.6460480, -83.6471150

Any idea on how deep on average? Obviously it changes depending on rainfall/snow melt
It looks to me that it varies quite a bit. Deepest I've seen on video is headlights on a JK with a 4.5 inch lift on 35s

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Rock obstacle

37.6460480, -83.6471150

It looks to me that it varies quite a bit. Deepest I've seen on video is headlights on a JK with a 4.5 inch lift on 35s
Woo buddy. Can you find that particular video?

Advocate III

First Name
Jasen
Last Name
Ulmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9HBC
Rock obstacle

37.6460480, -83.6471150

Woo buddy. Can you find that particular video?
Can't find it at the moment. I've watched so many videos, doing research. I'll post it if I find it. Based on my research, bumper deep on most vehicles is the norm. I'm just gonna see when I get there...

Reactions: SJ.Overland

Liberty4Ever

Rank 0

Contributor I

Lexington, KY, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Layne
Ham/GMRS Callsign
NI4B
Thank you for the GPX track for the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway.

I certainly don't have a problem paying for the information. Curating and hosting the information isn't free, and I'm a capitalist at heart (although not a very good one in practice :cry: ). I wouldn't want to have someone else's work copied and uploaded, but it's also frustrating to pay $4 (now $13) for a PDF map with no GPX data so I can't route plan with the OSMand navigation app on my phone. Sharing route descriptions online and saving favorite trips to share with others builds community.

Despite being fairly local and having been hiking, camping, rock climbing (tons of that in my wonderfully misspent youth) and canoeing in the Red River Gorge, I was unaware of the DBBB. I'd seen caravans of jeeps in The Gorge, usually from Ohio, so I knew there were 4WD trails.

I'm not planning of taking my 4WD Tacoma on the DBBB. I recently bought a BMW G310GS adventure bike and at my age, my adventures will be relatively tame. I'd like to ride some back roads to get the the DBBB, ride some dirt roads, gravel roads, and maybe easy trails, and then find a nice spot to pull off the road or trail that's preferably on a summit, push my bike into the woods to be clear of the road or trail, put up my Hennessy hammock and camp for the night. Nothing too complicated. I'd prefer to avoid the complexity of trail permits and camping permits if possible. The cost isn't much but it's a hassle and treating public wooded land as an amusement park puts me in a bad mood and spoils the fun, somehow. It's the principle of the thing.

Here are the GPX files for both the original DBBB as I understand it, as well as a much easier version I've done. The files should work on Gaia and on pretty much any Garmin GPS.

The DBBB itself doesn't go to the Nada Tunnel, which is a crime, but you should definitely check it out.

There should be waypoints included with the main DBBB GPX. That includes the giant rock that's been discussed here, a large mud pit at the end of Spaas Creek Rd, and gas, food, camping, etc. I forget who I got this from, but the credit is not mine for the most part (I added the rock and mud pit).

The very west end of the DBBB loop is where you go through what feels like someone's property/driveway, but is in fact a public road. He's got a gate across the road that should be open. I've never been harassed by anyone there other than a dog that likes to chase.

The last part of the file is a segment labelled "Hard 11" and is part of the KY Adventure Tour and overlaps some with the DBBB. The easy route uses a few parts of the DBBB, some of the KAT, and some of my own routing. The Hard 11 alternate route avoids the giant rock by turning just beforehand onto Walker Creek Rd. Again, it's not a super easy route on it's own, but it shouldn't wreck your trucks.

I'll keep you posted on what my plans are for next weekend.

GPX viewer

GPX viewer
Da