Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Xiong
Member #

Well lots and lots of SUV overlanders...  I have 96 Tacoma I seem to like the truck vibe more... I can store more and sometimes... haul  more arse :wink:  So my question is are trucks welcome? lol

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Some of the slickest overland / expedition vehicle build are pick-ups.  DefconBrix's Tacoma comes to mind, as well as some on those overland video series on YouTube.

I think the security and utility of the SUV platform has a lot going for it, but I like to see the trucks, too.  Whatever works best for your needs, or whatever you have in the driveway is all you need to get out and enjoy the scenery.   I'd not hesitate to build your Tacoma for a second.

Reactions: SLO Rob

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
First post, new member. Own both a 2012 Xterra and a 2012 Frontier.

After wheeling both I've decided the pickup gets the build and the X stays stock. Helps that the Frontier has Pro-4X package (diff lock, some creature comforts) but I just think the openness of the bed makes it more desirable in the middle of nowhere for some reason. Almost like a mobile shelf lol
A couple very cool rigs! I'm going to pop these over into the Member Rides section. Cool?!

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

It isnt the Rig, but what you doing with it. So, show us what you got and more, what you doing with it. I would love to have a truck, but Taxes just dont let me have one here in Holland.
So bring it on.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: SLO Rob

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
"It isnt the Rig, but what you doing with it."

Absolutely.

I lived in San Diego county through the nineties and into the millennium. I saw the rise of the Diesel Powered Pavement Princess movement. Three quarter and one ton trucks, four to ten inch lifts, chrome and gloss to the gills. And not a one of them even remotely used for the purpose or to the limits of their specifications.

An image I enjoy seeing is a unobtrusive four wheel drive, outbound, no matter what it is.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Well lots and lots of SUV overlanders... I have 96 Tacoma I seem to like the truck vibe more... I can store more and sometimes... haul more arse :wink: So my question is are trucks welcome? lol
Man, Tacomas are one of the most sought after platforms for all this! I had a 2010 with a topper, bed and drawer system...that thing was amazing... Build that 96 up!

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Everyone is welcome here as everyone has something to add to the conversations and community. I have a half ton american pickup and they still let me hang out. :0)P

Reactions: Michael and deeker

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
My first years of off roading were in a '78 F-150. That truck held it's own among Broncos, Jeeps, and Toyota's.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Well lots and lots of SUV overlanders... I have 96 Tacoma I seem to like the truck vibe more... I can store more and sometimes... haul more arse :wink: So my question is are trucks welcome? lol
Hey @xiongmustang You should check out the pictures from the Off The Grid Rally at Bald Mountain. There was a group of Tacoma's, an F150, and an extended cab Ford 2500 diesel that somehow got to the top too.

Reactions: Michael