• HTML tutorial

SLO_Goat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

Howdy ya'll!

In late May, I'll be taking my '97 TJ from the Bay to Augusta, GA. The only two hard objectives of this trip are to visit CU Boulder and get to Augusta by June 12.

I am under no illusion that my route will stay as planned (linked Excel sheet) and I'll post updates as it's refined, but as it stands I intend on travelling through the PNW, spending a few days in Canada, dropping down through MT/WY, swing by Ft. Hood, TX then enjoy the swamps of the South for a couple days and rest up in Charleston before reporting to Ft. Gordon.

Due to logistics, I have a max of 23 days for the expedition and will be forgoing GPS for the good ol' maps and asking the locals. Plan is to stay at as many National Parks/Forests as practical.

Has anyone dealt with fishing permits while on an expedition crossing multiple states/provinces? It seems inefficient and quite expensive to be buying them every day or two if I'm only spending that long in an area.

I'd love to hear any rig and route suggestions you have!

Rig: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/toby-the-tj.6171/

Route:
Instagram: #expedition_CAtoGA

Full tanks and tight lines!
-Noah

Last edited:

SLO_Goat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

My goodness, I didn't realize it's been this long since the expedition! Yes, I went and ended up taking about 3 and a half weeks to complete the route. I'll be uploading the story now!

PS @Just_us ya'll are really as nice as you're made out to be! But I will say the km/hr vs. miles/hr signs took some getting used too haha

Last edited:
Reactions: canadianoverlanders

SLO_Goat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

I began with the idea of starting with all my grains and pasta for the trip, and buying fresh produce and meat along the way. The Yeti Hopper was definitely worth the investment - while in Montana with 7 lbs of block ice it held below 40 F for 3 days!

I'd removed the rear seats and stacked the two Husky boxes of supplies behind the driver/passenger seat, then stored the Yeti on top of the wood box that held my stove, propane and cooking supplies.

Reactions: Jimmy P

SLO_Goat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

There's the platform in the sleeping configuration, which entails taking the top Husky box out of the rig and sliding the passenger seat forward.

Reactions: Jimmy P

SLO_Goat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

PS let me know if the picture links aren't working; I've been trying a Google Photos workaround. What do ya'll usually use for hosting the images you post?

SLO_Goat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

On my way out the next morning, my starter motor decided to stop cooperating. I had aired down so there was no push starting Toby but fortunately I wasn't too far out of the way and a tow truck was able to push start me. Looking back on it, I definitely could've just popped the clutch on the way down the hill to turn over the motor, but hey, hindsite eh?

I then proceeded to make it to northern Washington with a non functioning starter motor thanks to wonders of push starting a manual, where I swapped out the remanned NAPA starter motor and we were back to rolling:

Relatively cheap and pretty handy, tarps are a great thing to have overlanding! They can make a dirt driveway a halfway decent garage, or provide shelter for a leaking Jeep in a Texas storm (later in the trip)!

SLO_Goat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

Also, goats:

Next up was Vancouver for a few days with an old buddy from the college dorms, then off across BC and Alberta through Banff over a couple days:

Then down through Montana:

Montana traffic:

Hunting trout on the Madison River: