Rank IV

Explorer I

Vestavia Hills, Jefferson County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Holton
Last Name
Bell
Member #

I’m new to overlanding and only have a little off road experience. While I learn the ropes, I’d like to do some day trips in my new 2022 4Runner TRD off road. I have not made any mods yet aside from some new BFG K02 tires. Preferably, I’d wait to make mods after I get to know the vehicle a little better.

My question is, what are the critical pieces of gear I should have with me while driving? What tools do I need to travel with? I have an air compressor and tire repair kit already. Thanks for your help!

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Healthy snacks, water, comfy polarized sunglasses, sensible driving skills. Figuring out how far you like to drive in a day makes trips much more fun.

Jump starter, wrench+socket+screw driver set that fits any hardware you find on your vehicle, pliers, long pry bar, appropriate sized bottle jack.

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

Some of my staples are:
- first aid kit
- hydration and snacks in a cooler/fridge
- basic recovery gear and anything needed to change a tire on or off road or get unstuck from basic situations
- communications, I have a ZOLEO, but Garmin and others are as good or better, especially if solo. GMRS for groups.
- camping gear as required for overnights, Sleep, eat/cook, shelter, etc…
- extra fuel if going more remote
- tool bag with socket set, box end wrenches, pliers, zip ties, hammer, ratchet straps, and other basic tools
- a jump starter power pack
- basic knowledge of the area, the weather, my vehicle, and how to handle a “worst case”

Happy wheeling!

Greeneggssam

Rank III

Advocate I

Houston, Texas, United States
First Name
Sam
Last Name
McGlone
Member #

It think it matters what you want to do…I’m in similar position as you are, just starting out. You will read a million different ways to “get started.” The strategy that worked for me was to get a few things that I thought I needed and a few that would make my wife happy when we travel. We took a test trip to a local state park prior to a bigger trip we have planned. Take a piece of paper/notebook/journal and write down what you used or didn’t and go from there. There is no wrong or right way. Plan for what you want to do and leap!

Best,

SM

Disco Patrol

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oneida, NY
First Name
David
Last Name
Cruz
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
I’m new to overlanding and only have a little off road experience. While I learn the ropes, I’d like to do some day trips in my new 2022 4Runner TRD off road. I have not made any mods yet aside from some new BFG K02 tires. Preferably, I’d wait to make mods after I get to know the vehicle a little better.

My question is, what are the critical pieces of gear I should have with me while driving? What tools do I need to travel with? I have an air compressor and tire repair kit already. Thanks for your help!
Equipment needed depends on what you're doing. What are ypur goals? Hardcore offroadong to get to a location or basic forest roads to get to sites? You've got a brand new vehicle so you would just need basic tools for low level trips (IMO). If you think you're just going to do some long distance driving to get to a campsite, then pack your normal everyday travel items.

Don't get caught up in buying everything. Pack your tent, hammock, or whatever you plan on sleeping in. Get food and a simple cooler for an overnight. Use what you have now until you have a grasp on what would make your trip more pleasant.
Outside of your tire repair kit and a full size spare you really don't need much to get started. It's easy to get caught up in the overlanding gear world, don't overthink it.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

You have a great rig, that doesn't need anything for 99% of "Overlanding". My thoughts would be:
  • Sat-based communication device, I use a Garmin inReach but there are many out there. IMHO it's a "must have" to be sure you can keep people informed of your status and location, and if it comes down to it use it for SOS and never be without a way to get help
  • First aid kit - pretty self explanatory
  • Some basic recovery stuff - kinetic tow rope... must be a kinetic, soft-shackles, etc. If you go out solo, I do think a winch is a worthwhile mod (along with winch-related gear like a tree saver)
  • Water, food and "gear" for a few extra unplanned days - gear would mostly be things to stay warm and/or make fire. Sunblock and bug spray are nice in an emergency too. Just make a basic kit with a few gallons of drinking water, some long-life emergency sustenance, etc. Consider this as additional to what you need for the planned trip, not part of it
  • Enough tools to change a wheel/tire on uneven ground
That's really it. The rest is just dependent on your trip. You have a brand new Toyota, so I don't honestly think you need any tools beyond what it takes to change a flat. Others might disagree, and there's no "harm" in having a basic toolkit... but really what are you going to work on? I run either a 11 year old pickup 19 year old Jeep so I bring a lot more tools, and some spare parts. Obviously things like tent, sleeping gear, cooking gear etc. are all going to be "needed" but really depend on where/how you want to camp. Do 4Runner seats fold flat and make enough space to sleep in it? If so, all you might need is a decent sleeping pad and a basic bag. If you're not trying to go "fancy" for meals, maybe you just want a little single-burner basic camp stove, a pot, and some Mountain House meals. Or, you could do a full kitchen build-out and cook 5-start, multi-course meals. That all depends on what you want to do.

Oh, I guess one thing in addition is a way to handle things when nature calls, but there are plenty of threads on that already (Camp Poop (sorry for the bluntness but I want to know))

-TJ

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Assuming your Tacoma is well maintained you should not need many tools and the factory jack works well. I'd recommend doing a couple of tire removal/remount in the driveway so you aren't groping around on a dark rainy night. Once you get a plug in fridge you might want a small jump pak. Beyond that, a Visa Card and AAA Membership.

Doing the mods as you find the need is the wisest plan. The Tacoma is incredibly capable fully stock. I'd be looking for the camping luxuries to make life on the road more comfortable. A dry place to sleep. Something for shelter from the rain... and sun. And a way to keep food cold. Those are my top three priorities.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Assuming your Tacoma is well maintained you should not need many tools and the factory jack works well. I'd recommend doing a couple of tire removal/remount in the driveway so you aren't groping around on a dark rainy night. Once you get a plug in fridge you might want a small jump pak. Beyond that, a Visa Card and AAA Membership.

Doing the mods as you find the need is the wisest plan. The Tacoma is incredibly capable fully stock. I'd be looking for the camping luxuries to make life on the road more comfortable. A dry place to sleep. Something for shelter from the rain... and sun. And a way to keep food cold. Those are my top three priorities.
His post your quoted says he has a '22 4Runner. I suspect it's pretty well maintained. :p

-TJ

Reactions: KAIONE and Padams7

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)

Critical gear in my opinion is gear that may save your life or keep you from being stranded. The best way to prevent that would be buddy up with another family and vehicle.
I know that may sound silly, but even with a full tool box, I don't know many that can arrange to have a tie rod delivered and remove/install it. LOL (start small)
Water, food, first aid, communications, navigation are important. The types and styles of these are many but this site will guide you through that.
I think the most important thing is do the research, plan ahead, and let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back.
You have a very capable vehicle for bouncing around the beautiful Country we have. You are already ahead of the game. Just be wise.
Zim

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

A lot of great posts above with recommendations.

The main thing is to just get out and use what you have.

Grab a cooler, a folding chair, you’re just doing day trips? Pack a picnic and go! Make sure you let someone know where you’re going. Once you do it a few times you’ll start to see what you’re missing.

Must haves - phone, keys, first aid, and fun!!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
On the eastern seaboard you can walk in just about any direction and get to a road with traffic in a day or less. This does not include Maine. Since in the worst case scenario you may have to do a bit of walking, bring at least a well supplied day pack and good hiking boots. When we are out west, where the nearest road might be a couple of days walk, we always carry our completely outfitted back packs. We carry three safety kits, one for vehicle repair , one in the vehicle for humans and another in our back packs. A third bag includes vehicle extraction tools. In the very best case of worst case scenarios it can be argued to stay with your vehicle, someone will eventually come along, which is the very best thing to do in most cases. However, in the very worst case scenario your vehicle is gone then what? Time to start walking.

Sat phone? Myself and millions of others have been doing this for multiple decades without a sat phone here in the lower 48. We always have a relative expecting our phone call at a specified time. If we are 24 hours late, they know to call the local rangers so a search can begin. If you begin to venture way deep into the back country outside of the lower 48 then ya, a Sat phone may come in handy if you have the need to communicate with loved ones when off grid for weeks at a time. In reality, using one here in the lower 48 is a very expensive luxury. As a much less expensive alternative we carry a PLB in case of dire emergency.

You have started with a great vehicle and great tires, so no need to upgrade anything on it for quite some time, however, a good set of rock sliders would be a first thing to do. My son in law has a 2018 Trail edition of the 4Runner. With sliders and with a minimal 2" suspension lift that vehicle can traverse 99% of all trails in North America and probably 99% of the world. It is a Toyota, there is no need to go crazy with aftermarket modifications. Later on, you may want to begin with a rack up top, then get that spare tire out from below with a rear bumper and tire carrier. Then a front bumper. But that is years away as those simple modifications quickly add up to right around 10 thousand dollars. My brother in law spent more than that on a build for his chevy pick up truck in less than 4 months. He has reconsidering much of what he has done and starting over again. The poor guy watched too many you tube videos.

To sum up, always be prepared for the worst case scenario. Then, practice a drill for it. As an example, in the case of a vehicle fire, I practice removing our two backpacks from a compartment in our trailer here at home and I've got it down to less than 20 seconds from a sitting position in the drivers seat. Once they are thrown clear, I unhook the trailer and give it a shove. Good luck with your new hobby..

Here is a video from a guy down in Australia doing a very mild build on a very similar vehicle.
enjoy !

Reactions: RN J

Elementairtv

Rank I

Contributor III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Bailey
I'm just starting out as well, one thing I have learned from hours of research. No two vehicles mod the same and need the same setups. I like your idea about just getting to know the setup stock before modifying. I sat down and made a list of key features I want to add. But before sinking the money into it I'm going to take a month or so of weekend trips to see if I still need some of them. ALSO, and this is a big one if you have people around you that already go out on trails see if you can join them to learn the ropes.

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
I think you do your research and make purchases based on how you want to explore. Buy used if you can, upgrade, safety and security items. I think it’s easy to get overwhelmed by all the gear, make a list of wants vs. need, then start to assemble your kit. Go easy, find locals in your area, most;y have fun and learn.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

some basic recovery, a shovel, rope, some spare fuses, a jump starter., jack .. I assume the Tacoma comes with a full size spare as stock.
Food, water, some kind of shelter - what ever else you think will make you comfortable and fits without going to heavy over GVM..

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
some basic recovery, a shovel, rope, some spare fuses, a jump starter., jack .. I assume the Tacoma comes with a full size spare as stock.
Food, water, some kind of shelter - what ever else you think will make you comfortable and fits without going to heavy over GVM..
Yep....

JakeHalloran

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger II

Chehalis, WA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Halloran
Member #

Whenever I get a new vehicle to off road in (a few Jeeps in the past and now a used Tacoma) I've always started with what I got and modify from there, just like you said.

My basic kit is a first aid bag, toilet paper, sunglasses, water and snacks, a warm jacket, and gloves. If I know I'll be way out in the boonies, I'll bring some fire starting supplies and a Jerry can of gasoline. If you don't have recovery equipment yet, drive cautiously until you do. I've seen a lot of cool stuff in a old CJ on 31s with no recovery gear. Just know when to admit you've run out of skill or ground clearance and turn around / go around. A short day going back home is better than a cold long night stuck somewhere.

After a while, figure out what bolts are on your 4Runner and bring a general tool kit with you. Bailing wire is a must. A big ratchet strap and a pry bar will work as a winch in a pinch (trust me). The biggest thing is to write down when you say "Man I really wish I had _______ right now" because I never remember.

Reactions: RN J and Explorador

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran

My two cents and apologize for the rambling

As others have stated it depends on what you're intending to do. If only a little off-road experience I would first seek out others to go on outings. The rally point section on here is a great tool for meeting up with others. You can see first hand what people are using for your area and get an idea what trails you can and can't do with what you have. If there isn't a rally point on their for your area create one. Start a rigs and coffee or a gear and beer. One thing is certain we all love to talk about our vehicle and see what others are doing so people will show up.

As for your vehicle you got good tires, means to air up, and repair them so that's good. I would also include a recovery strap and soft shackles for assisted recovery and at minimum a shovel for self recovery. I would then add traction boards. Some people may say traction boards first and I don't think they're wrong but a shovel works, most people have one, they're cheap, and can serve for multiple uses.

You have a new vehicle so tools shouldn't be needed but you can go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap all in one to keep in your vehicle and add to it as needed.

For camping make sure you have shelter, food/water, and bedding. I would recommend going to a state park or forest with camping grounds to test out your gear. Overtime you'll learn what works and what doesn't. YouTube is a great tool but there is a lot of campers on there that is going a little overboard. You would think that you have to have a rooftop tent, skottle grill, and two battery solar system to go camping if you rely only on YouTube but you don't. Think of your truck like a backpack with a little more room and add comforts as you go. For simplicity I always have the Scouting 10 Essentials in my truck no matter how long or short the trip is.

Reactions: LR Defender