Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I will provide some info regarding central Pennsylvania. If anyone is traveling through Tuscarora State Forest, watch out for traffic. A pipeline is being built through the forest. It's crossing several mountains through the region and you'll find a LOT of truck traffic. I'm used to seeing maybe 2 or 3 vehicles in this area. But Sunday I saw probably 30 vehicles on the forest roads. Lots of blind turns and narrow roads makes this a lot more dangerous than it used to be.

I was actually told to turn around and go back the way I came at one point because a large piece of machinery had broken down on the road.
DSC_3852 by Jonathan Smith, on Flickr

But it was still a beautiful drive through Tuscarora.

DSC_3841 by Jonathan Smith, on Flickr

DSC_3847 by Jonathan Smith, on Flickr

AppalachianToy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bedford County Virginia
Member #

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

You could also reach out to @outboundoverland or go to their website. They've mapped most of the off highway routes in GWNF up to the Cumberland gap and greenridge state forest. They planned on doing PA as well. All of the files are download able on GAIA maps and are free on their site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

tntc

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Peabody
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Cobb
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1-TTC
Service Branch
Navy
Took a motorcycle trip from Boston to Smokey Mountains national park.
no Highway all secondary roads with all of Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway.
I think if you worked off these great road systems you could work off roading off of these.
We stuck mostly to pavement but once outside of Skyline a lot more woods opens up

Reactions: 88 yj

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Nope. It's taken on a slightly different form and I'm anticipating a 2019 departure. Will likely be a 2-3 week trip.

Awwwe man..I'll have to use my vaca for something else then??!! Haha.. I guess I'll wait to see what happens with it next year then..

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Awwwe man..I'll have to use my vaca for something else then??!! Haha.. I guess I'll wait to see what happens with it next year then..
lol. There are plenty of things going on this year to use some vaca on. I didn't want to rush this trip. I want to be able to stop in some areas to meetup with folks and explore cool areas.

Reactions: Road

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
and.... Subscribed.

I am very interested in this one!

I have been wishing for something like this since back in the day when I had a dual sport.

Reactions: dziner

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Welp, I think I have a route planned, a preliminary one anyway. But having a newborn and toddler right now, I'm thinking 2019 isn't my year for this. We will see. I may do a section of it in New England over the summer.
We understand. My little ones pretty much killed my dual-sport back country exploring.

Now that they are starting to get older... I have gotten a 4wd truck to explore the world with them now. I can't wait!

Reactions: DirtPoorOverland

St8ton

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salisbury, NC
Member #

Anyhow, those of you who live or have a good deal of experience with the trails in the Appalachian vicinity, I want you folks to get in touch with me or make yourselves know.
I know a fair amount of this area. Southwest VA, Grayson Highlands area south towards Asheville. Would love to get in on this.

Reactions: DirtPoorOverland