Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
I purchased and have used on 3 occasions the Costway 54 Quart Refrigerator/Freezer and have found it quite competent. Today I received my order for the SAUOKI G500 Power bank/Inverter from amazon and am testing it with the Fridge.

The Fundamentals of the test:

The G500 was charged fully before the test.
The Fridge was loaded with 40+ cold beers, a 4-pack of meal replacement shakes and a carton of egg substitute.
The air temp at the beginning of the test was 76f and will not drop below 70f.

The Test:

The full Fridge was plugged into the G500 at 5:48pm on Thursday, November 15th 2018.

The set temp of the Fridge is 35f

At power up the interior temp of the Fridge was 64f

The compressor kicked on at 5:54pm

The interior temp of the Fridge reached the set temp at 6:04pm - 10 minute cool down

During initial cool-down the G500 indicated a DC power draw of 50w

The lid of the Fridge will be opened 2 times per hour for 5 seconds during waking hours to simulate use.

My goal is to determine the total run time for the Fridge powered only by the G500,

Updates to come....
IrgxiZJVQD+3eniC53FBFw.jpg XxFvG50iTfWQkJ9Uog01PQ.jpg
Iyv50uG8Qc2QjZsRHP2NcQ.jpg

CJRK

Rank I

Contributor III

San Diego
Very helpful information...wish there were more tests like this conducted on a variety of common fridges utilized in overland builds.

Jean-Yves Hudon

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary
Member #

Thanks for sharing. It gave us data and experience with brand other than the usual like arb, dometic, etc. And hope you got a few beers out as well lol!

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

It worked great over 3 days. Haven’t used it longer than that.
Is that three days parked without moving? I just bought one of the Wynter fridges. I don’t think they are very efficient, paperwork says 5.5 amp draw.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Looking at the Costway website, the 54q draws 50 watts. 50/12=4.166 amps.

TheGrrrrr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
Parked with near optimal sunlight, but high temps were about 55 and lows at 30 so it wasn’t running as much.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Looks like you are taking a good scientific approach to this. I see so many people who move everyday and put their 5 watt panel out thinking it is running their fridge and not understanding that 5 minutes of a spinning alternator crates way more power than their panel. Thanks for your posting and keep us up to date on your findings.

JzzR83

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Savage, MN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0VFV
Thanks for the report on how the power bank works. I am not able to find it on amazon right now. Seems to be a good option instead of the Goal Zero.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

TheGrrrrr, great info. how did you like the frig? did it make ice without freezing the other side? looking into the frig then a power supply.

TheGrrrrr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
I have not used it to make ice. I’m not sure I would trust it not to freeze both sides.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

With one lid it looks like the cold air flowed into the other side making it colder then you want it to be . I see cooler with two lids. just wondering if that cold air flowed into the other side.

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
Simply take watt hours and divide by 12 and that will give you amp hours. ( they rate them in watt hours so you think your getting more for your money). 500whrs/12 volts = 41.66 amp hours. A cheap “deep cycle”marine battery from Walmart 135 amp hours (1620 whrs)costs $79.00.

Reactions: Graeman