Rank II

Enthusiast III

clayton north carolina
First Name
Ash
Last Name
Menges
... Drooool
After a couple of years of checking out other "builds" and other assorted methods to try to haul gear on, we pulled the trigger on a 490 from Dave Bates conqueror USA. In hindsight it was the best decision we ever made with regards to camping and our love for heading out at a moment's notice. Best of all my wife loves it! The only drawback is every time I go out back of our house and open the side door the dogs get excited because they love it too! There's a million opinions about trailers things online but at the end of the day you want something that is going to last, fit your outdoor lifestyle, and go anywhere that you want to go. I'm a firm believer in buy once cry once... it's difficult to wade through all of the options and opinions and there seems to be a whole lot of each on the web. We settled for the proven one that does what we want it to do. Cant imagine anything else really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike W

amenges45

Rank II

Enthusiast III

clayton north carolina
First Name
Ash
Last Name
Menges
The only thing I can think of that we don't like about the trailer is the total water volume could go up another 10 or 15 gallons. We take care of that by having a spare water tank on our 4Runner. The tents and sides are outstanding and very easy to set up. The bundutec awning is just absolutely fantastic. The heat and AC are super super effective. The electronics setup is very easy to adjust and seamless when connecting solar we're transitioning to the truck or generator. After years of fuddling about off road and sleeping in tents, we're very happy with our decision. There's really no compromise with this thing

Reactions: Peadog

amenges45

Rank II

Enthusiast III

clayton north carolina
First Name
Ash
Last Name
Menges
The only thing I can think of that we don't like about the trailer is the total water volume could go up another 10 or 15 gallons. We take care of that by having a spare water tank on our 4Runner. The tents and sides are outstanding and very easy to set up. The Bundutec awning is just absolutely fantastic. The heat and AC are super super effective. The electronics setup is very easy to adjust and seamless when connecting solar we're transitioning to the truck or generator. After years of fuddling about off road and sleeping in tents, we're very happy with our decision. There's really no compromise with this thing
... one last thing....its pricey. We felt it was worth it tho

Last edited:

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

IMG_1012.JPG IMG_7610_tao.jpg IMG_1419_tao.jpg

I've had my 440 for a few years now, it's been all over South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Mozambique and I'm really happy with it. Only thing I might still change is a bat-wing awning instead of the standard L-shape canvas.

Last edited:
Reactions: amenges45

amenges45

Rank II

Enthusiast III

clayton north carolina
First Name
Ash
Last Name
Menges
Fell in love with the idea of a Conqueror when I was in Gauteng Prov for a long work trip. Was spending a lot of time at a test track facility west of Pretoria. That was where I first laid eyes on the Conqueror type trailer. Got my custom GP plate during that time and put it on my 490. I think I may just be the only resident of North Carolina USA with an authentic, personalized licence plate from GP....will get back there some day again soon!

I've had my 440 for a few years now, it's been all over South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Mozambique and I'm really happy with it. Only thing I might still change is a bat-wing awning instead of the standard L-shape canvas.[/QUOTE]