Compressor Recommendation for under $100?

• HTML tutorial

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

I was thinking about the 300p but it was only rated up to a 31" tire and the 88p was rated up to a 33" tire. Which is odd since the 300p looks like a better built compressor. What size tires are you running on your rig?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app
I have 31” right now but hoping to get 33” in future. On the Vair website it looks like they both say 33”. But the 300p is good up to 150psi and CFM of 2.3.

88p is 120psi and 1.47 CFM.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Mike G

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I have 31” right now but hoping to get 33” in future. On the Vair website it looks like they both say 33”. But the 300p is good up to 150psi and CFM of 2.3.

88p is 120psi and 1.47 CFM.

Amazon listed the 300p at 31". I should have done more research. Thanks @805z71overland

Reactions: 805RADO

r1ckm1

Rank 0

Traveler I

Reno NV
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Malone
Member #

I used this Smittybilt for a few years and have had good luck with it. Used to fill up my 315/70r17s. Takes about 2min to go from 20psi to 35psi. I know it's a little more than a $100 but I got mine on sale for right around $100 back in 2014.

Smittybilt 5.65 CFM Air Compressor - 2781

That is the one I have been looking at. It looks good on the videos I've watched. Glad it's worked out for you.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Just ordered the Vair 88P from Amazon for $49.91

I also have bought this model (88 P). Did my research, and it received good reviews for price and function. Found this thread only recently, and glad others here have seemed to like it. I put mine in a 400 round Military steel ammo can, Being sealed (rubber gasket/waterproof), and protected in transit, it keeps it safely stored and has room for the optional extension hose and accessories, so it can reach my trailers tires. Makes for a more robust storage option over a bag. I have 285x75x16 tires (33 Inch), so it is nice that this compressor is adequate for my tires, without spending a fortune on a ARB Single or Dual.1566325456492.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike G

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

For what it's worth, I've had the VIAIR 90P Portable Compressor $77.00, for 9 years for my E-rated (80lb max) tires on my van and have used it regularly when airing back up without problem. I now have an ARB CKMA 12 in my trailer's nose box I use, but keep the VIAIR 90P as well, for others, for my front tires if I'm still hooked up (as my big-assed van is too long for the ARB hose to reach) and for when I'm away from the trailer.

I may eventually install the ARB in the rear of my van instead of the nose box so it will reach everything, but will definitely keep the VIAIR 90P. It's been a great little workhorse of a compressor.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The VIAIR 400P Portable Compressor looks like the minimum model that will support 35" tires. I may go this route. The NoOne Digital Tire Inflator I have not started to smoke when doing the 3rd tire during at the last trip.