Compressor Recommendation for under $100?

• HTML tutorial

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

There are so many portable compressors out there, and until I have real money to buy a proper one, Im looking for something under $100. Any suggestions? I will not be using it a lot but the few times I do, I want it to at least work.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

You get what you pay for... sounds like you know that though.

Just grab one that you can afford... a $50 one should work for a bit. I melted mine down but it lasted a few months (almost a year), then I got an ARB one.

Good luck.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

You get what you pay for... sounds like you know that though.

Just grab one that you can afford... a $50 one should work for a bit. I melted mine down but it lasted a few months (almost a year), then I got an ARB one.

Good luck.
ya I want an ARB one but have other larger projects on the list first! ha

Reactions: Winterpeg

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I guess it depends on what you're going to use it for. If airing down "big tires" and then using it to air back up, you'll be hard pressed to find a sub-$100 compressor that won't take all day and suffer failure due to overheating. I bit the bullet and bought a Viair 440P 10 years ago and it's still going strong. It's had so much use I had to replace the rubber gasket in the chuck due to wearing it out. As with everything, especially with gear, you really do get what you pay for.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I guess it depends on what you're going to use it for. If airing down "big tires" and then using it to air back up, you'll be hard pressed to find a sub-$100 compressor that won't take all day and suffer failure due to overheating. I bit the bullet and bought a Viair 440P 10 years ago and it's still going strong. It's had so much use I had to replace the rubber gasket in the chuck due to wearing it out. As with everything, especially with gear, you really do get what you pay for.
I've got 285/75/16's and have never been the last person to air back up with my MF-1050, so, YMMV...

Reactions: kickkem

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Good to know. I might have to go with the viair 400p or something close to that. more than $100 but sounds like it can do the job. (ill use it maybe once a month)

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I saw someone use one of the harbor freight ones a couple days ago and it seemed to get the job done. Probably won't last long but if it's for very occasional use, it's good enough for now. I had a Costco compressor that worked ok for $50 the name started with a Q? Spending a little more for a Viair would probably be better though if it's going to get used too much without spending the big $

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Delux2769

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, CO, USA
Member #

I have both the cheapest $9.99 Harbor Freight compressor and a VIAR 88P I got on Amazon for $46.

I've used the HF one about 20 times over the year I had it. Worked great, super cheap, super slow, needed to cool down between tires. It never failed me, yes the internal heat switch on and keep it off for several minutes. Always came back on when cooled down. Has a handy carry bag. Packs small. Plugs into 12V port in the rear trunk area or front seats for simple airing of front or rear tires.

The VIAR 88P can air up 3 tires to the HF 1 tire. Takes up more space. Runs cooler. Only runs off the battery clamps. Vehicle has to be running.

Granted, I'm much happier with the VIAR now... still keep the HF in my spare tire compartment as a spare or to pay it forward someday.

Pic shows HF freight on back tire and VIAR on front tire of my lifted '05 Forester on 30"s.

Sent using telepathically controlled dolphin fingers.

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I have both the cheapest $9.99 Harbor Freight compressor and a VIAR 88P I got on Amazon for $46.

I've used the HF one about 20 times over the year I had it. Worked great, super cheap, super slow, needed to cool down between tires. It never failed me, yes the internal heat switch on and keep it off for several minutes. Always came back on when cooled down. Has a handy carry bag. Packs small. Plugs into 12V port in the rear trunk area or front seats for simple airing of front or rear tires.

The VIAR 88P can air up 3 tires to the HF 1 tire. Takes up more space. Runs cooler. Only runs off the battery clamps. Vehicle has to be running.

Granted, I'm much happier with the VIAR now... still keep the HF in my spare tire compartment as a spare or to pay it forward someday.

Pic shows HF freight on back tire and VIAR on front tire of my lifted '05 Forester on 30"s.

Sent using telepathically controlled dolphin fingers.
Great info! I guess if they're lower powered, it's nice to have 2 rather than 1! ;)

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I also have the Viair 88P (since January) and am happy with it so far. Granted, I have only used it to air up twice, but had no issue getting all 4 tires from ~17 psi to ~35 psi in just a few minutes each (35/12.50/17).

ntgbrl

Rank II

Advocate II

I was actually thinking about giving this HarborFreight one a try...
https://m.harborfreight.com/12volt-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-69285.html
It's $60 but with a 20% coupon it'd be about $50.
Don't do it. I got one as a gift several years back for airing up the tiny tires on my Miata race car, and the thing would overheat often when bringing the pressures from 25 to 35 psi. With the 31" tires on one of my Jeeps, it'll bring one tire from 20 to 45psi before having to stop and wait for it to cool down. Airing up all 4 31"s would take an hour or more with the cooldown times. On top of that, the switches would constantly burn out, so I had to repair it often.

I replaced the Harbor Freight compressor with a Viair 88p and have had no problems since. Ive aired up the 35" tires on one of my Jeeps from 20 to 35 psi several times, and it has performed well.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Thanks all for the help, I ended up going for something slightly more than $100. Vair 300p. Got good reviews and right about the amount I was willing to spend. Knock on wood I got a good one. It is nice that it is still small enough to fit under my back seat, barely.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Just ordered the Vair 88P from Amazon for $49.91

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app
I almost went for that but the valve on the 300p is the standard quick release one you see on big air compressors. I thought I might be able to attach some nicer hoses to it one day or figure out a small nail gun possibly? Idk

Reactions: Mike G

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I almost went for that but the valve on the 300p is the standard quick release one you see on big air compressors. I thought I might be able to attach some nicer hoses to it one day or figure out a small nail gun possibly? Idk
I was thinking about the 300p but it was only rated up to a 31" tire and the 88p was rated up to a 33" tire. Which is odd since the 300p looks like a better built compressor. What size tires are you running on your rig?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

Juggernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Ca
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Hart
Member #

There are so many portable compressors out there, and until I have real money to buy a proper one, Im looking for something under $100. Any suggestions? I will not be using it a lot but the few times I do, I want it to at least work.
100% guaranteed best investment for up to 33" tires, Viair 88P. $50! 15 lbs - 44 lbs in 3 minutes (265/75 16 = 31.5") with a 25 minute run time. I spent weeks comparing them all. I could not be happier.

Last edited:
Reactions: 805RADO