Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

So, as I do after every summer. I'm planning on the next trip... Well, actually next three trips.
1 Ouray, CO, 2 Manchu Pichu, Peru, and 3 Labrador Hwy-New Foundland circle trip...
This thread however is about the next upcoming one. And it is an open invitation to join in if you would like.
Next year, 3rd weekend of June 2017, my friend and I will be heading out to Ouray, CO to explore the alpine loop and what ever else we find out there. The plan is to camp as much as we can but, we will have kids with us. So a night or two in a hotel will probably happen.
That's pretty much it for now as far as planning. When the dates get closer, we will get into the details.
Again, this is an open invitation to whoever would like to explore the San Juan's and be safe doing so in a somewhat family oriented group.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
We're planning on towing the jeep to Buena Vista in June, and spend a month exploring the passes in that whole area. Silverton to Montrose to Aspen to Leadville. We'll hook up with you for sure!

UPDATE (4/25/17): Decided on a Prudhoe Bay trip in July. May still be in Colorado in June for some work on the Jeep at Tomken Machine in Buena Vista.

Last edited:

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

We're planning on towing the jeep to Buena Vista in June, and spend a month exploring the passes in that whole area. Silverton to Montrose to Aspen to Leadville. We'll hook up with you for sure!
If you pass through Montrose, you've got to check out Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park.

Reactions: Kelly and Thomas

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

Sounds great. Will definitely try to hook up.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
We were in that area last year same time of year. I recommend pushing it back into July or August. Last year there was still snow and 1/2 of trails were closed.

Top of engineer pass.
You're absolutely right. I've been in that same "walls of snow" situation. Some trails can only be run in August. The reason we're taking the Moho, is because I'm going to have Tomken do some work on the jeep, for a couple weeks, before we hit the trails.

Lenny

Rank 0

Contributor II

Texas
Went to Ouray/Telluride this past summer. Loved it and would love to go back. I do think late July is best to make sure everything is passable.

Reactions: Kelly

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

PM me the dates and we will see if that works for everyone else. I'm ok with late July.

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

The plan for us is to camp as much as possible above the tree line... Not in campgrounds... We will see how that will work out :-)
And, the more the merrier. Well almost. This will be kid friendly.

Reactions: Lenny

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We drove through Ouray last July and it was spectacular. We took the Alpine Loop up from the Mineral Creek trail up and over Engineer pass and down the other side. The scenery was breathtaking.
If you are looking for camp spot suggestions, we camped right here for the evening: 37.961507, -107.594365
The spot was as epic as I can imagine.

IanC83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Cambridge, NY
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Creitz
Member #

So, as I do after every summer. I'm planning on the next trip... Well, actually next three trips.
1 Ouray, CO, 2 Manchu Pichu, Peru, and 3 Labrador Hwy-New Foundland circle trip...
This thread however is about the next upcoming one. And it is an open invitation to join in if you would like.
Next year, 3rd weekend of June 2017, my friend and I will be heading out to Ouray, CO to explore the alpine loop and what ever else we find out there. The plan is to camp as much as we can but, we will have kids with us. So a night or two in a hotel will probably happen.
That's pretty much it for now as far as planning. When the dates get closer, we will get into the details.
Again, this is an open invitation to whoever would like to explore the San Juan's and be safe doing so in a somewhat family oriented group.
When you plan your trans Labrador highway trip I would love join. I live in upstate New York and my route was 3300 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk