Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

I'd love to have you along. Much safer with more vehicles...
What part of upstate are you at?
My brother lives just outside of Warrensburg, NY...

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Yes please send updates as you get the dates more defined. Was out there in 2013 on motorcycles on tarmac only. Saw the trails on the GPS and left yearning to bring the Jeep back. If there's room to tag along, and I can schedule it I will meet you there.

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

Alright, as of now the dates are still flexible but I'm looking to leave Columbus, OH on or around July 7th...
Figure we will be in Ouray by July 9th or 10th...
Message me if you are interested in meeting up.
This will be family oriented and we plan on camping as much as we can. Preferable on the trails...

Reactions: Kelly

virvak2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Henderson NV
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Virva
Im headed to Ouray with 7 other rigs July 7-12. Hopefully not too early for Black Bear and Imogene. We are also planning to camp not in campgrounds. Hopefully we can cross paths!

Ryan Hitchcock

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hitchcock
Member #

I also will be in this area on the week of July 9th, we should be pulling into Durango on the 9th. I would really enjoy meeting up with people since we will most likely be solo. I am very excited to camp and explore this area! It is my favorite part of CO.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I have been doing a lot in this area (SW Colorado) since moving to Albuquerque a couple of years ago - only 3-4 hours to get there, absolutely epic scenery, and amazing overloading. Happy to help with any planning - have done the Loop itself several times now, camped all over it, done the high passes from Ouray to Telluride (Ophir, Imogene) - can't say enough good things.

I will be there July 4th week, first half of the week. I have done trips each of the past two years July 4th week, and the last of the trails are just opening - mid to end of June is too questionable. Lots of snow this year, so even July 4th week may be up in the air.

Few thoughts on planning -
- you will be near 10,000 feet the whole time (Durango is around 7,000, Silverton around 8,000, Ouray itself is 8500) but as soon as you get out of town, the elevation ramps quickly
- bring warmer bags than you expect to need: my first trip I took a 40 degree bag and had to get the mylar blanket out in the middle of the night after the temp at 8pm was 33 degrees
- drinks LOTS of water: it helps with the altitude feeling and the amount of hydration you will lose just through aspiration / breathing more and harder
- the loop side is terrific - you can camp anywhere you along it except where specifically posted, which is very minimal. plan for bears - be VERY bear aware with your gear and such. the loop side isn't difficult, i saw a stock Ford Expedition kill it last year, but you have to be aware of the route in and out you take as that Ford couldn't do them all - Ironton entrance / exit from 550 just South of Ouray has some tooth-pucking switchbacks - trust me, I did that with a trailer -

Again, happy to help with planning, routes, prep, etc. If this pushes back to later in July, I am up for meeting.

Ryan

Reactions: Cavo

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

A couple pics ot add to my previous comments.

Our campspot with a view up the Mineral Creek Trail. This was on the July 4th weekend, and we awoke to a full frost cover over everything. It was a little chilly overnight, so be prepared. Million dollar view though, and the area to ourselves.

The benefit of camping out "up the hill" is that you get to witness Engineer Pass first thing in the morning, and likely all to yourself.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

A couple pics ot add to my previous comments.

Our campspot with a view up the Mineral Creek Trail. This was on the July 4th weekend, and we awoke to a full frost cover over everything. It was a little chilly overnight, so be prepared. Million dollar view though, and the area to ourselves.

The benefit of camping out "up the hill" is that you get to witness Engineer Pass first thing in the morning, and likely all to yourself.

this was last July 4th weekend - I am pretty sure we passed each other. I remember the FJ set up with the trailer as I had my trailer on it's first trip.

virvak2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Henderson NV
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Virva
I have been doing a lot in this area (SW Colorado) since moving to Albuquerque a couple of years ago - only 3-4 hours to get there, absolutely epic scenery, and amazing overloading. Happy to help with any planning - have done the Loop itself several times now, camped all over it, done the high passes from Ouray to Telluride (Ophir, Imogene) - can't say enough good things.

I will be there July 4th week, first half of the week. I have done trips each of the past two years July 4th week, and the last of the trails are just opening - mid to end of June is too questionable. Lots of snow this year, so even July 4th week may be up in the air.

Few thoughts on planning -
- you will be near 10,000 feet the whole time (Durango is around 7,000, Silverton around 8,000, Ouray itself is 8500) but as soon as you get out of town, the elevation ramps quickly
- bring warmer bags than you expect to need: my first trip I took a 40 degree bag and had to get the mylar blanket out in the middle of the night after the temp at 8pm was 33 degrees
- drinks LOTS of water: it helps with the altitude feeling and the amount of hydration you will lose just through aspiration / breathing more and harder
- the loop side is terrific - you can camp anywhere you along it except where specifically posted, which is very minimal. plan for bears - be VERY bear aware with your gear and such. the loop side isn't difficult, i saw a stock Ford Expedition kill it last year, but you have to be aware of the route in and out you take as that Ford couldn't do them all - Ironton entrance / exit from 550 just South of Ouray has some tooth-pucking switchbacks - trust me, I did that with a trailer -

Again, happy to help with planning, routes, prep, etc. If this pushes back to later in July, I am up for meeting.

Ryan
This will be a dumb question, but being that I am coming from the desert and havent camped in 'bear country' outside of an actual campground in years, what are some things to be aware of? Are you using bear canisters? What about food in a truck in a fridge? Is it actually a threat to be camping on the ground vs RTT?

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I've both ground camped and RTT'd there - never had a direct issue, but did have some bears about 150 yards from my camp walking around - so they are there for sure. I didn't do bear canisters, but I did put my pelican cooler (which is bear resistant due to the latches) away from my tent and vehicle a bit, just in case. I also keep a couple cans of bear spray handy and accessible.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk