Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

It looks like 12 people have signed up on the Rally Point. Is there camping space for that many rigs without damaging the area? Not trying to be a Woods Nazi, just wondering is all as I've never been in that area.

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

It looks like 12 people have signed up on the Rally Point. Is there camping space for that many rigs without damaging the area? Not trying to be a Woods Nazi, just wondering is all as I've never been in that area.
So that's something I've been thinking about recently, and here's my plan. (And I've got no problem with you asking either, it's important we're here to check each other) I've only camped there once before and remember as I was driving up further towards the mesa that there were some big open grass campsites. At the time I wasn't looking at leading a big event, nor did I think there was going to be this kind of interest. What I'm planning on is meeting everyone in town, getting us all out to the trailhead where there's plenty of parking, and then separating from the group to drive a couple miles up the road (and then come back) to scout either for a site large enough to fit all of us without doing damage, or splitting up into a couple groups in nearby sites so we can either split and hang with a smaller group or convene at one site after setting up camp to make a fire and hang out for the night. At least that's the tentative plan.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I was able to use Google Maps last night to sort of scout out the area. At nearly the end of the road it looks like there is a large enough area that the group could spread out some, but still be in the same general area. I don't have to work that weekend and the wife has signed off on me going. I'm now thinking maybe I'll go down Friday afternoon and camp two nights. Just need to see if there is enough in the area to do during the day down there (I don't bike).

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

I was able to use Google Maps last night to sort of scout out the area. At nearly the end of the road it looks like there is a large enough area that the group could spread out some, but still be in the same general area. I don't have to work that weekend and the wife has signed off on me going. I'm now thinking maybe I'll go down Friday afternoon and camp two nights. Just need to see if there is enough in the area to do during the day down there (I don't bike).
If you like to hike you can always do that! There's a decent trail system there, you'll probably just see a lot of bikers. If you do decide to go down early to scout camp, shoot me a PM so I can get an exact location when you get down there and pick a site. Also, you're more than welcome to bring kids, dogs, etc!

TheBarefootFamily

Rank VII

Trail Mechanic III

Pueblo, Pueblo County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Berkenbile
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I am bring the little feets and 4 feets with us, I haven't decided if we are tent camping or car camping yet, I have 3 daughters and we haven't camped with more than 1 or 2 other families before so it's going to be fun and interesting.

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: SoCOTaco

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I am bring the little feets and 4 feets with us, I haven't decided if we are tent camping or car camping yet, I have 3 daughters and we haven't camped with more than 1 or 2 other families before so it's going to be fun and interesting.

How old are the little ones? My son just turned 8 yesterday. Not sure yet if he is going or not.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Waether looks great for the weekend so far. Does anyone want to suggest a final camp spot so those of us who might go Friday night can set up camp? We will also be mountain biking that weekend at OWF trail.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Waether looks great for the weekend so far. Does anyone want to suggest a final camp spot so those of us who might go Friday night can set up camp? We will also be mountain biking that weekend at OWF trail.
I'm not organizing this trip, but the spot I was looking at on Google Maps and on the Garmin site that looked big enough for us all to have some space but still be together was located at
38°32'26.2"N 105°12'06.9"W

38.540623, -105.201905

I have no idea where that location is in relationship to the bike trails. It also looks like it is heavily used, so could be taken by Sat afternoon.

Reactions: SoCOTaco

RoadLessTraveledAdventure

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Erie, CO
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Romero
Member #

I'm not organizing this trip, but the spot I was looking at on Google Maps and on the Garmin site that looked big enough for us all to have some space but still be together was located at

38.540623, -105.201905

I have no idea where that location is in relationship to the bike trails. It also looks like it is heavily used, so could be taken by Sat afternoon.
From what I see on Google Earth, it looks like a big enough spot and the bike trails are just to the east of it

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

38.540623, -105.201905

That spot looks good to me and was one of the ones I was eyeing, so long as it's a designated site. Because this system is a first come, first served policy I don't have a site selected. If someone does plan on camping Friday night, it's totally fine if they want to choose a site in that area that could fit the group and we (as a whole) can meet them there.

@Caligirlnic - I touched on it above, but if you want to camp Friday night and scout a location you're more than welcome to. I have no specific spot in mind aside from being in the OWF network. Check out the site in the post I quoted in this message- it looks to be large enough for all 12-15 rigs and as long as it's open and is a designated camp site (they have numbered little skinny brown post signs) go ahead and snag it or any other site you see fit. If you do find a site to stay at, be sure to PM me the coordinates when you choose it so I know where to find ya.

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

Alright everyone, the trip is this weekend! If you haven't yet RSVP'd on Rally Point as "going" please do so now! I'll start a group PM with the going list later this week with some final details and FYI's. I looking forward to meeting/seeing y'all again!

1000Taco0001

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Nalley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0AFK
I
Alright everyone, the trip is this weekend! If you haven't yet RSVP'd on Rally Point as "going" please do so now! I'll start a group PM with the going list later this week with some final details and FYI's. I looking forward to meeting/seeing y'all again!
I am going... Since you are in Monument, can I meet you at the Park-n-Ride in the AM Saturday when you head out? Still working on bringing one of the kids but my son (11) tends to get bored if there are not other kids to hang out with. It will likely just be me.

TheBarefootFamily

Rank VII

Trail Mechanic III

Pueblo, Pueblo County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Berkenbile
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I

I am going... Since you are in Monument, can I meet you at the Park-n-Ride in the AM Saturday when you head out? Still working on bringing one of the kids but my son tends to get bored if there are not other kids to hang out with. It will likely just be me.
I am bring the daughters and [emoji240] for everyone to meet, and they are fairly outdoorsy so he should have alot of fun.

Dapozer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver
Member #

Etoimos, when you thinking of heading down on Friday? I’m working til 3p but thinking of heading down a day early as well

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

I

I am going... Since you are in Monument, can I meet you at the Park-n-Ride in the AM Saturday when you head out? Still working on bringing one of the kids but my son (11) tends to get bored if there are not other kids to hang out with. It will likely just be me.
Yeah, I'm happy to caravan down there! It'll probably just be me but I'm essentially a massive child so it's probably all the same. In the PM I'll be sending out later this week I'll be adding my departure time in case anyone does want to caravan out there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Dapozer

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Me and my 8 year old son will be there on Sat. I'm thinking about going straight to the camping area earlier in the day though.