Colorado Meet and Greet Camping Trip - 04/28/2018

• HTML tutorial

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

We're going to do something a bit different this month for our Colorado meetup as we're trying to move out of winter and into the prime CO camping season! Instead of doing our usual Denver-area brewery meet, we'll be doing a single night camping trip out to Canon City. It'll be a short one night trip, meeting in Canon City on Saturday afternoon (4-28, meeting at the City Market in Canon City at 4:00 PM) and departing camp Sunday morning (4-29). Unfortunately this specific trip won't be a massive off-grid expedition, rather just a night for a meet-and-greet, campfire bonding, and an opportunity to get out a bit and share trip ideas for this summer. Meet up time and location is also shown on the map below. This trip will only venture a couple miles off the highway on a single lane dirt road, so there's not much in the way of vehicle requirements. This is just a time to gather, meet others, and have fun so we can plan bigger trips for the coming months!

*If weather won't cooperate (snow/storms/lows well below 30) we'll work out a brewery meet in its place if necessary, but in the mean time cross your fingers! Can't wait to meet/see you all again!

View Rally Point
Last edited:
Reactions: JDGreens and Boort

TatankaT4R

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Castle Rock, Colorado
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Quella
Member #

I’m new to OB so I’m really looking forward to meeting everyone and getting the rig set up for for the first trip of the year.

Reactions: SoCOTaco

MichaelR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Park Falls, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Ruhs
Member #

I’m new to OB so I’m really looking forward to meeting everyone and getting the rig set up for for the first trip of the year.
My wife and I are new this year to OB also. Met Mitch at a meet up in Feb, really nice guy.

We’ve got a 2017 TR4 Off-Road that’s a blank slate waiting for mods. We’re going to the expo in May to start dressing her up.

Welcome and see you on the 28th.

Michael (and Suzie)

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I could be down for this depending on how my work schedule shakes out. They just asked me if I could help cover an event at the end of May :(

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Bummer. Was hoping to join up with you guys soon, but we'll be on a Grand Canyon road trip on those days. I'll try to make something in the near future!

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

My wife and I are new this year to OB also. Met Mitch at a meet up in Feb, really nice guy.

We’ve got a 2017 TR4 Off-Road that’s a blank slate waiting for mods. We’re going to the expo in May to start dressing her up.

Welcome and see you on the 28th.

Michael (and Suzie)
Thanks for the kind words! I look forward to seeing ya again and meeting Suzie!

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

@Etoimos - Hopefully it works out but if not I'll probably see you at Expo West! (I think I saw you in another expo planning thread)

@Fortis Overland - Sounds good! I may try to plan a quick brewery meet in the Springs/Monument in early to mid-May before I head out on my Moab/Lake Powell/Expo West trip.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

@Etoimos - Hopefully it works out but if not I'll probably see you at Expo West! (I think I saw you in another expo planning thread)

@Fortis Overland - Sounds good! I may try to plan a quick brewery meet in the Springs/Monument in early to mid-May before I head out on my Moab/Lake Powell/Expo West trip.
@SoCOTaco Works for me! I'll plan on being there!

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Yes, I'll be going to OEW. It'll be me and my buddy in his black TJ with a ground tent.

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

@Douglas Marker - Awesome, I look forward to meeting you! (If you're planning on coming be sure to RSVP on the Rally Point event!)

@Caligirlnic - I'm planning on camping in the Oil Well Flats area. (I'm a MTBer and it's the only place I've camped out there)

1000Taco0001

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Nalley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0AFK
I am new to OB as well. It would be great to meet up with a few local folks. I have a Colorado Land Cruiser run on the 21st. (if I am back from my conference in SF). If my wife will let me go two weeks in a row (this one with an overnight). I'd love to meet up on the 28th. Just did a day run out Canon City to Cripple Creek last month it was a fun ride. It will be great to meet you all. If I cant do an overnight I may just come for a hang out part of the day.

1000Taco0001

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Nalley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0AFK

@SoCOTaco Works for me! I'll plan on being there!
That would be great. I really dislike driving into Denver from CoSprings/Monument.

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

I am new to OB as well. It would be great to meet up with a few local folks. I have a Colorado Land Cruiser run on the 21st. (if I am back from my conference in SF). If my wife will let me go two weeks in a row (this one with an overnight). I'd love to meet up on the 28th. Just did a day run out Canon City to Cripple Creek last month it was a fun ride. It will be great to meet you all. If I cant do an overnight I may just come for a hang out part of the day.
If you can manage to make it happen we'd love to have you! Or just convince the wife to come with you!

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

That would be great. I really dislike driving into Denver from CoSprings/Monument.
I'll second that. I see a lot of meetups in the Boulder and Denver area that make them difficult to get to at times. Maybe if we can get on a steady rhythm, we can start something down in the COS area on a more regular basis.

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

I'll second that. I see a lot of meetups in the Boulder and Denver area that make them difficult to get to at times. Maybe if we can get on a steady rhythm, we can start something down in the COS area on a more regular basis.
Definitely! I've heard a lot of interest from people in the Springs, so I'm thinking that in addition to the Denver brewery meets that Gary organizes every month or two, I'll add on one in the Springs area for people from a bit further south. More details will come after this trip as I pick a date and get one organized.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Definitely! I've heard a lot of interest from people in the Springs, so I'm thinking that in addition to the Denver brewery meets that Gary organizes every month or two, I'll add on one in the Springs area for people from a bit further south. More details will come after this trip as I pick a date and get one organized.
That would be awesome! Thanks!

kaylodad

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Denver
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Hollenbaugh
Service Branch
USAF
I'm in for the Canon City trip - just need to decide if I bring the "overland" trailer or not. Had to get special permission from Overland Expo to bring it to Flagstaff 'cause it's 19' - but it does say Off Road on the side :-)
IMG_1468.jpg