• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Edy Coyote, @JDGreens,

I'm pretty sure that any trail that ohv's are allowed on will technically need one. But like I said I have encounted pletty of forest rangers and never have they checked for this. I would imagne that if they have a conflict with what someone has done, they would be more likley to look for compliance. * do know 4-mile vehicles are supposed to have it. I almost think that it is just a way for all of us to help with the cost to keep current trail maintenanced (many groups can apply for funding to do trail repairs on thier adopted trails and have forest rangers on site) and possibilly re-open some that have been closed due to a event that closed them.
@JDGreens is correct. from the CPW website:
OHV PERMITS
Colorado OHV Permit requirements:

All OHVs and motor vehicles (including motorcycles) that display a valid Colorado license plate must also display a current Colorado OHV use permit sticker when operated on designated OHV trails in Colorado.
All out-of-state OHVs (including OHVs that display an out of state OHV registration) must also display a current Colorado OHV use permit sticker when operated on designated OHV trails or routes in Colorado.
Permit fees are $25.25.

For Resident-Plated Vehicles
Permits for resident plated vehicles (off road + street legal vehicles) are available to purchase online at CPW Shop from April through December. Please allow 14 days for your order to arrive in the mail.

OHV permits are also available at retail locations selling hunting and fishing licenses. To purchase a permit in-person upon arrival in Colorado, please see the authorized sales agent list to find a retail location near you.

Full details available at:

Boort

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

@Edy Coyote, @JDGreens,

@JDGreens is correct. from the CPW website:
OHV PERMITS
Colorado OHV Permit requirements:

All OHVs and motor vehicles (including motorcycles) that display a valid Colorado license plate must also display a current Colorado OHV use permit sticker when operated on designated OHV trails in Colorado.
All out-of-state OHVs (including OHVs that display an out of state OHV registration) must also display a current Colorado OHV use permit sticker when operated on designated OHV trails or routes in Colorado.
Permit fees are $25.25.

For Resident-Plated Vehicles
Permits for resident plated vehicles (off road + street legal vehicles) are available to purchase online at CPW Shop from April through December. Please allow 14 days for your order to arrive in the mail.

OHV permits are also available at retail locations selling hunting and fishing licenses. To purchase a permit in-person upon arrival in Colorado, please see the authorized sales agent list to find a retail location near you.

Full details available at:

Boort
Yeah, I was talking about ATVs

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
The OHV permit is only required for FULL SIZED VEHICLE ROUTES THAT ARE DESIGNATED AS TRAILS, not roads.

Please read this page carefully: Full Size Trails | Stay The Trail

Notice it says TRAILS, not roads. The list of 60 trails at the link are those that require the permit. Popular 4wd roads such as Engineer, Imogene and Black Bear Pass don't require the permit because they are designated ROADS, not TRAILS. Please read the link carefully.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
After reading the link in my above post, look very carefully at the first column of this image captured from :
Registration and Permits | Stay The Trail

Here is a Screen capture. Looking at the first column, notice that FULL SIZE PLATED are OK on ROADS OPEN TO OHVS and only require the permit on JEEP TRAILS. Keeping that in mind, most of the stuff we do are ROADS either open or closed to OHVs and only a small number are officially designated as JEEP TRAILS. That's the list of 60 "Trails" that was given earlier.

If you still think the list of of 60 are just the most popular, ask yourself why the following 4WD roads aren't even mentioned:
Black Bear
Imogene
Engineer
Cinnamon
Poughkeepsie Gulch
Medano Pass
etc.

Pick what you think are the most popular 4wd roads in Colorado and see if they're on this list:
Full Size Trails | Stay The Trail

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I just know my 4x4 club has hashed this ohv sticker in threads over for a couple of years now most if not all the trails we go to now techniclly require them and like fishing linceses they are yearly available every March. For me it's just better to buy one and not worry wgere I'm heading out too.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
For me it's just better to buy one and not worry wgere I'm heading out too.
I agree with your logic. It is certainly for a good cause. I was persistent because I don't want folks to think it's a requirement for this RP. I'll make some calls on Monday just to be sure.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Neal;
I have only been once myself. I camped there for the 14er event last year. I didn't see many of the actual 4-mile trails, but used it as a base camp and went to trails such as Mount Antero. There were some areas between Buena Vista and my campsite that would accommodate dozens of vehicles. Here is an entry I made on iOverlander.com for the campsite I used.. Realizing that I've seen only a small fraction of Four Mile, I'm not adamant about using that site.

Looked up this site I think it would work well I will use this as the spot, If I am able to acquire it when I get down there Thursday evening. If not I will set-up some where near there. I don't have any O.B. banners but I will try to make a sign for this at the spur inertance to the campsite.

Neal;
Maybe we can plan one trail a day for those that interested in riding as a group. Others can splinter as they choose. I wouldn't mind leading a group on Mount Antero. Perhaps we could plan one major trail a day and use any leftover time to explore the lesser trails of Four Mile Recreation Area?

I think a Saturday with a trail run or two would be great. I have not run Mount Antero yet. To be honest I am not sure if my rig will be together for this event but if it is I would love to run it if it is. If not I really plan on just hanging out in the 4-mile area and get to know people that came out for this event. There is Hiking, Mnt. Biking, and mild trails to be had as well.

So give me some time and I will get the ball rolling.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Yeah I was trying to on my P.C. because I have a picture of Mnt. Princeton taken from the area of the camp spot you provided I wanted to load for the Rally Point

Reactions: Neal A. Tew