Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I have a 6 speed diesel... but I'll have to do some more research before I decide. Performance 4.56, but fuel mileage 4.10
Oops, forgot you had the diesel. The 4.10s and the stock ratio would definitely work well and be more efficient which is nice for total range. If I had the diesel that's probably the route I'd go. With the 2017+ V6 I wouldn't hesitate to go 4:56.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I was hesistant to reccommend 4.56s because it sounds like such a huge jump but it's really not, especially with our 8spds. The OEM gearset is so high it's borderline silly. The Taco guys do 4.88s at minimum and even 5.29s when they go up to 35s.

Check out Max's install and thoughts.

I do love that guys channel. I watch it all the time. He has modded his truck (which does indeed look extremely awesome) sooo much that it keeps having major reliability issues when out on the trail. I have seen multiple steering alignment, performance, engine codes, and snapped axle vids off of the top of my head.

Actually, here is a vid of his Moab, UT trip that was ruined by one of his front axles snapping. It may have been stressed though due to 4 things.
1. Larger Tires
2. The extreme diff. re-gear providing more power/tq from the engine
3. The aftermarket long travel suspension possibly not having good angles on the CV joints
4. The CV joint it'self is a custom job. It had to be extended from factory and hand torn apart/rebuilt. Expensive, hard to get parts, and hard labor.

I am pretty sure that both sides of our CV shafts on our trucks use the same part #. They are also very affordable online. I shall be carrying an extra with me either way after seeing this.

Reactions: JCWages

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
You may want to read some of the Gear threads at coloradofans.com. Lot of guys have gone to 4.56 and 4.10's. I have 4.10's with 31" tires and love it. I plan To go to a 32.5 tire. I think anything over 33" would benefit from 4.56 with the 8 speed auto, it's 4.62 first gear and 0.66 8th gear, the 6 speed is a bit different.

ETA: The ZR2 front axle is larger. stronger than the Z71's. GMPP has a even longer splined axle at 2k each, stock is around $200. It is the weak link in the IFS. Guys that have 35's are starting to see the next weak link fail, axles and gears. Some have seen issues with the electric power steering.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages and great08

Sonny Marton

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

You may want to read some of the Gear threads at coloradofans.com. Lot of guys have gone to 4.56 and 4.10's. I have 4.10's with 31" tires and love it. I plan To go to a 32.5 tire. I think anything over 33" would benefit from 4.56 with the 8 speed auto, it's 4.62 first gear and 0.66 8th gear, the 6 speed is a bit different.

ETA: The ZR2 front axle is larger. stronger than the Z71's. GMPP has a even longer splined axle at 2k each, stock is around $200. It is the weak link in the IFS. Guys that have 35's are starting to see the next weak link fail, axles and gears. Some have seen issues with the electric power steering.
I've read plenty on cfans and know the pros and cons.

Also I am well aware of the common issues.

On 35s and 37s from what I've seen the problem is the stock lockers, both g80 and Eaton elockers. My g80 retr doesnt lock as easily ad it used to. That is why I am waiting to see if ARB will ever come through with air lockers.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've read plenty on cfans and know the pros and cons.

Also I am well aware of the common issues.

On 35s and 37s from what I've seen the problem is the stock lockers, both g80 and Eaton elockers. My g80 retr doesnt lock as easily ad it used to. That is why I am waiting to see if ARB will ever come through with air lockers.
The manufacturers have reduced weight and size on transmissions and differentials to increase economy. I think we get about a 20% cushion on torque and HP then parts start to fail. I had the hots for the Mallet super charger but finally decided I would just break parts. I'm to old to fill trany cases with aftermarket hubs and shafts, done that for 50 years, I'm done. Want to keep it as bullet proof as I can with a 32.5 tire and 4.10 gear set. I think my weakest point is the front axle shafts, wish those gmpp splined axles did cost a arm and a leg.