Colorado Built FZJ80

• HTML tutorial

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

Matt also put some fuses in and I ordered a ton of part from Onur at Land Cruiser Parts like these battery box grommets. I also wired in the winch to match Matt's work. Ended up hiding the winch control box under the winch and can get the manual winch remote if wireless go out.

Reactions: French

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

I did upgrade the bump stop and sway bar extension to the Slee units. I don't know if they are better but I really liked the look and the use of less bolts.

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

Many have asked how the rig looks from the rear. I finally got the Jerry can holder in from 4x4Labs and mounted my licence plate holder with some LED lights. I used Tech-wrap on the LED wiring as well. I need to fab some thing to lock the Jerry cans in. I will be mounting a rear view camera to the licence plate mount under the middle of the can rack.

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

Here is a updated pic of the front with the winch mount and I added some frame recovery points. The licence plate mount worked out perfectly and does not move even when blasting through rivers or water crossings.

Reactions: French and Jimmy P

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

I ended up buying a new Toyota drive shaft and still had problems because of the 3.5" lift. So I took my old one to Ron at Boulder drive line and had him fab up a CV for me with Toyota parts and U-joints. Came out great and no more vibs. Still need to set the angle but so much better.

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

The biggest news is the 80 is getting a engine upgrade on October 22nd. I bought a brand new 4.6l HC 1FZ-FE from Robbie at Aventure Offroad. Robbie as many of you know is guru when it comes to Toyota engines. He built this one for a client a few years ago and the client decided to go with a diesel. This is a High Compression engine that makes about 70+ horse power than stock. It has all the bells and whistle done to it like porting and polishing and a CRIO treatment. It is the same motor Robbie runs in his 80. I will post some pics once Robbie replaces the old seals and I get it painted up.

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

Finally upgraded my speakers. I tried the Pioneers and then the Polk DB but did not like the lower quality sound and lack of fullness. I end up installing Focal ISC series. I used a 5.25 in the front and a 6.5 in the rear. I disconnected the dash 2.5 and the trunk 2.5. I will replace the dash speakers and use them for my Ham radio later since I don't feel I will need them after listening to the Focal's. I did buy a 6.5 subwoofer but I am not sure I will use it now. I really love how they match the interior and look almost like a stock upgrade.

The install was pretty straightforward. in the front I made a 6"x 1/2" spacer to put under the door card to give the 5.25 a hard surface to mount to then I mounted it over the door card in the factory holes. In the rear I cut the sheet metal opening larger and made a 1/2 spacer the same size as the speaker cover and mounted the whole thing with sheet metal screws to the doors inner sheet metal..

Front

Rear

French

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Irvine California
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Frechette
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Well got some more stuff done this week. I decided not to go with the ARB bumper and sent it back two big for my use. I also returned the Warn winch. I went to Slee and picked up a Short Bus bumper and a ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS winch from Ben. Really like how it fits so much better and more lightweight. I will have to make a custom mount and cables to fit the control box under the hood. I will get this done when we install the dual battery kit when Matt at Off-grid Engineering get back from Cruiser Moab and Overland Expo.

Looks freaking mean!

Reactions: BerettaMato

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

Rising Sun member spotted this Speski Offroad's rear cargo barrier for a 100 on Craigslist. Picked it up for $175 bucks. Fit fine might just mod it a little to get it level. Thanks Tim

Now I need to fab up a storage shelf.

Reactions: Jimmy P and FJ81

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

Since I deleted the rear handrails I move one to the driver's seat where US models don't get one. I was going to order one so this was a savings at $45 buck for the missing one. Sweet!!

Reactions: Jimmy P

w0ngster

Rank 0

Contributor I

This is amazing!

Where do you start on knowing what to fix, upgrade, replace? I've been in the same boat and had been looking for a J80 for ages but gave up due to the information flood.

Keep the great posts coming.

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

This is amazing!

Where do you start on knowing what to fix, upgrade, replace? I've been in the same boat and had been looking for a J80 for ages but gave up due to the information flood.

Keep the great posts coming.
Great question, this is a 25yr old truck with 233k miles on it so I started with the drivetrain and replaced everything and the engine will be the last piece. I did search for a very clean truck with no rust and a great interior so I could put my money into the fun gear for overlanding.