Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carrollton, VA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Nicholson
Member #

Great build. Good to see another 93 getting the treatment. I'm getting ready to go through my axles, and get suspension ordered up. Found a spare 1FZ with just over a 100k on it to replace my 291k motor. Will take the time to go through one of them. How's the extra compression motor running?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Zantier

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Missouri
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Huenefeldt
Member #

Comparing your original engine bay to your dual battery setup, what did you do to eliminate the silensor?
Colorado built before.jpg

Your dual battery setup for reference:
Colorado built after.jpg

Is it as easy as rerouting the No. 2 air hose from the air filter to the PAIR valve? I think the silensor's bracket is permanently attached to the air filter lid--did you just cut it?

Oh and what's the siren thingie in the top right in the original picture? :grin:

Reactions: Jimmy P

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

OK big week for the rig. Dropped her off at Robbie's for motor swap. Here are some it pics of the swap so far. Also a big thanks to Onur for getting all the Toyota parts in so fast.

The old motor. It was still running strong just a few oil leaks.

Cleaned up the engine bay a little and replace the throt;e cable and AC while the motor was out.

AC replacement

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

Did a little work on the getting the dual battery's back in and cleaning up the wiring. Engine looks awesome. Not sure how I feel about the purple hoses. Have to order some more parts from @NLXTACY. I will say I love Robbie's attention to detail. Exhaust is next.

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

Very clean swap for sure. looks great. Did you consider a diesel swap at all?
Yes I did. I thought about all my options and this was the one that made the best sence for my use. If I get a diesel witch i will sum day I will just buy an imported one.

Last edited:
Reactions: T-88

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

Had some questions on power so here is my input.

I have driven in an 80 with a 6.0l, SC 4.5l, 4.6l and a stock 4.5l. I would put power in that order. I feel the 4.6l is more responsive and very very close in power to a SC 4.5l. With that said if I had an OBDII system I would have done an SC 4.6L. With a SC comes problems and higher ware and premium fuel. so I am very happy now that I was not able to do the SC. I am not a lead foot kind of driver. I just wanted reliability, highway passing speed and power for the mountain passes and I feel so far that I got exactly that. I am very happy with this engine and the work PowderPig did.

My biggest complaint about the 80 besides cup holders was I felt like it had 25yr old power. Newer vehicle have gained so much over the years and we have gotten used to it. After I bought this 80 and started throwing cash at it I really wondered if I made a big mistake and should have just bought a brand new 4Runner, I even test drove them a few times. Remember I could buy a fully loaded one for $40k and I was over that in this 80 at the time and had not done the engine yet. I loved the drive but hated the front window view. This week while commuting to work I really feel I have that kind of driving back and it does not feel like an 25yr old drive it feels like a brand new vehicle. I really have the 80 I dreamed of owning 25 years ago and never thought I would be able to afford when I was in High School.

I will give a more detailed update at 1k miles and get to do some trail rides. Now I need to get some more armour, roof rack, lights, comms and storage system done this winter.

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

It's your money and you're the only one you need to justify your time/money investment to.

But, as someone who's been actively looking for an unmolested non-rust bucket 80 for nearly 2 years (without luck), I'll write that tricked out 4Runners are everywhere, just like my JK. Write your checks, add your accessories and enjoy a nearly maintenance free, reasonably well powered although ubiquitous 4 wheel drive that is the 4Runner. Or keep your 80.

I'm romantic about the 80 series. Romance requires commitment beyond common sense. The only "thing" I've ever owned that I can attribute an inexplicable emotion to was a bitch kitty 1974 Alpha Romeo GTV I owned for 6 years. Forget the cost of parts, if the time I put in her was worth a nickel an hour, I had a hundred grand tied up in that ridiculous Italian excuse for a car. In an "enough-is-enough" fit of rage, I sold her for pennies on the dollar just to be rid of her. And replaced her with a totally reliable, absolutely comfortable Honda Accord.

Don't be me. I've ached for that Italian excuse of a car for two decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: BerettaMato

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

OK here is a little update. I have 800 mile on her now and I have been running like I would normally drive. I am very imprest with the new motor. I have no problems passing even on the freeway now. Cruise control will keep me at 75mph on my way to work without even down shifting or going over 3000rpm on the two big hills that are on that route. That was not possible before not even close. 0-60 time feel like it is cut down at least two seconds not sure, never recorded a baseline on old motor. I will be traveling to Evergreen this thursday for a Cruise Moab meeting and this will be my first mountain visit since motor swap. That drive is very steep incline about 3k feet in 6-7 miles and should tell us a lot. Next weekend I will be doing the first oil change and switching to Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 per Robbie's advice.

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

Had some down time before work this week so I installed the hand throttle kit I bought. Works great and should help out when filling tires and winching. Thanks @beno for sourcing the new foot pedal.

Reactions: Jimmy P

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chicago | Western Suburbs
Member #

Well done. Looks like a fantastic trail. And love the J80 you are working on. I really like those and the choices you are making on your build.
Were really excited about our trip to Fairplay in December, I am conflicted as we want snow so we can ski but on the other hand I dont want snow so we can try some trails. Either way its going to be a great trip for us.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@BerettaMato

Please excuse my ignorance. If I may ask what is the use of the hand throttle when filling tires and winching? Is your onboard air compressor/winch RPM dependent? Is it more the lock at a various throttle position than the hand control that you are looking for?

Boort