First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
About Coleman
More than 100 years ago, a young man with an entrepreneurial spirit and a better idea began manufacturing lanterns in Wichita, Kansas. His name was W.C. Coleman, and the company he founded would change life in America. A man plagued with such poor vision he sometimes had to ask classmates to read aloud to him, Coleman saw a brilliant light in 1900 in a drugstore window that stopped him in his tracks. He inquired about the light inside and discovered he was able to read even the small print on a medicine bottle by the illumination. The lamps had mantles, not wicks, and were fueled by gasoline under pressure instead of coal oil. Soon afterward, Coleman started a lighting service that offered a "no light, no pay" clause--a big step forward for merchants who were burned by inferior products that rarely worked--and drew substantial interest from businesses that wanted to keep their lights on after dark.

In the ensuing years, Coleman expanded its product line well beyond lanterns. The company's current catalog is thick with products that make spending time outdoors a pleasure. There are coolers that keep food and drinks cold for days on end, comfortable airbeds that won't deflate during the night, a complete line of LED lights that last for years, powerful portable grills that cook with an authentic open-grill flame, and much, much more. Coleman has truly fashioned much of our outdoor camping experience, and expects to do so for generations to come.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i think a coleman oven is a great idea....that way when i go camping, i'm not going off half-baked....

• Haha
Reactions: 9Mike2

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I use an old copper flame tamer in the bottom of mine, but I would think any ceramic tile would work, especially if it is rated fire resistant or proof.
These seem to be available on Amazon, at least in steel. Any idea of the max diameter that will fit inside this oven? Mine isn’t here yet. Seems these would be less likely to break on bumpy roads.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

These seem to be available on Amazon, at least in steel. Any idea of the max diameter that will fit inside this oven? Mine isn’t here yet. Seems these would be less likely to break on bumpy roads.
My copper plate is 10x10 inches and fits very nicely.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I've heard this, too. My problem is, I can't find a tile anywhere. The folks at Lowe's and Home Depot (and the local fireplace store) don't know what I'm talking bout and I don't want to put a tile in there that will explode.
Any piece of ceramic flooring tile will work. Smoother is better for ease of cleaning. If you want, you can also use small 8-10 inch round pizza stones from Amazon. Cost a little more than a ceramic or terra-cotta tile but anywill work

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I wrap my piece of 10 in tile in a dish towel, then use the towel as an oven mit and/or table trivet for the tile and food on it when it comes out of the oven.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Recently bought this little oven off Amazon. Also got a small pizza stone for cooking. Just went on my first trip with it to try out with my usual Sunday morning cinnamon rolls. Wow!! I think they turned out better than home. Just barely crisp on the crust, nice and soft inside, and no burnt spots. The Coleman Oven is likely a permanent part of my kit now.

2B436C83-8A94-4C8C-9BAA-F8F929E30B1C.jpeg