Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I've been looking for the Coleman Camp Oven everywhere and cannot find one. Suggestions?

NiteSky

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shoreline, Washington 98155, United States
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

I’m glad to see others had a good experience! We saw them use it on Lifestyle and my wife was all about it haha Wasn’t sure if worked consistently well for others but it appears it does. Anyone have any good recipes they use it for when camping?

Reactions: 9Mike2

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Someone might have suggested putting a piece of tile in the bottom of the oven. Does a few things for you- makes it easier to regulate cook temps, provides even heat for breads, much easier to clean burned on foods. Great for pizzas, pastry or even toast or tortillas.

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

Someone might have suggested putting a piece of tile in the bottom of the oven. Does a few things for you- makes it easier to regulate cook temps, provides even heat for breads, much easier to clean burned on foods. Great for pizzas, pastry or even toast or tortillas.
I've heard this, too. My problem is, I can't find a tile anywhere. The folks at Lowe's and Home Depot (and the local fireplace store) don't know what I'm talking bout and I don't want to put a tile in there that will explode.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I've heard this, too. My problem is, I can't find a tile anywhere. The folks at Lowe's and Home Depot (and the local fireplace store) don't know what I'm talking bout and I don't want to put a tile in there that will explode.
I use an old copper flame tamer in the bottom of mine, but I would think any ceramic tile would work, especially if it is rated fire resistant or proof. The tiles are fired at over 1000 degrees so I would not think that there is any issue using them as a heat shield on the Coleman Stove.

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

BTW, I used my camp oven fir the first time a few weeks ago. It worked great. I used a temperature sensor the first time to get a feel for the right flame level. I can't wait to use it, again.

Concerning some ovens getting too hot and burning things, my Coleman butane stove is only rated at 7,650 BTU's, which is on the low side. Maybe that's why I can have the flame turned up and not "burn my biscuits."

Attachments

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I don't think it would "explode". At worst maybe crack. Seems like I have seen firebrick that was fairly thin close to tile maybe thicker. Soapstone would work and whatever those round plates for cooking pizzas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2 and terryg

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Anyone tried beer can chicken in one?? Got one on the Weber grill rat meow! Don't know that I will have room for one of the Coleman ovens. Do they collapse? That's one of the few things I don't have!