Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I have an oven on order and am interested in hearing what folks use to even out the heat in this oven. I see recommendations for putting a tile in the bottom. I’d rather have something that’s dual purpose, like a griddle that I can also cook on stove or a pizza stone. I am concerned I can’t find a griddle that will fit without a handle or that a pizza stone will break in transit.

What do you use and what all will it help cook besides using in the bottom of an oven?

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Pizza stone or ceramic tile- heats evenly over surface of tile, helps regulate oven output temp,

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
we use a pizza stone made from Cordierite which is a synthetic stone material that is quite durable and can take a decent shock without breaking

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

I found a piece of shale about an inch thick and roughly the same dimensions as the oven while camping outside Bryce Canyon NP several years back and its worked well.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I found a piece of shale about an inch thick and roughly the same dimensions as the oven while camping outside Bryce Canyon NP several years back and its worked well.
That solves it - road trip to Bryce! May have to check if there is anything better at Zion or Canyonlands.

I did order a 9” pizza stone. It was under $20. That seems like it’s multi-use. I can put it in bottom of oven if baking something in a regular pan on shelf, or use pizza stone on shelf for something like rolls. Isn’t that the way you use it, putting stone on shelf when food is on the stone and in the bottom when using it to even out heat?

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

That solves it - road trip to Bryce! May have to check if there is anything better at Zion or Canyonlands.

I did order a 9” pizza stone. It was under $20. That seems like it’s multi-use. I can put it in bottom of oven if baking something in a regular pan on shelf, or use pizza stone on shelf for something like rolls. Isn’t that the way you use it, putting stone on shelf when food is on the stone and in the bottom when using it to even out heat?
Nah, we poked around southern UT for over a month and Bryce rock is top shelf stuff compared to what you might find in the other areas. Mine even has a little Trilobite on one side. Better to find it outside the Park though - you know how picky them pesky rangers can get sometimes. The second shelf works best for biscuits, rolls etc. Cakes, brownies and such turn out best on the lowest shelf. Anything on the top shelf just turns black ....... quickly.

Reactions: Tundracamper

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I use mine on a low(er) BTU butane stove. I didn't have any issue with burning with pizza and biscuits.