Cold Weather Camping. How do you keep Warm in single digit temps?

• HTML tutorial

TrlMixx

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Napa, Napa County, California, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Kramer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6PHL
Thought I would post a topic regarding cold weather camping and how to stay warm when the weather is 9°. Granted, it will warm up to 30° by the afternoon, but when the evening comes, yikes! So, whet do you do to keep warm, and still function at camp.

chadsends

Rank II

Contributor III

NC, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Bruner
Member #

Hot hands are a great tool. Usually about 30 mins before rack out I'll toss 1 in the fart sack, helps prep the bed. And it's been said a million times.....layers.

Reactions: Downs and TrlMixx

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Usually when I'm out winter camping I have a fire going for cooking and heat. At night its usually just a cold weather sleeping bag. Usually I throw a tarp on the ground and a wool blanket under the sleeping bag. I have also made huts with a small wood stove using tree branches and tarps.

Attachments

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melboure,Victoria, Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
Double bagging worked in minus 6.7C, thats a sleeping bag inside a sleeping bag. Then add one chunky black lab cross and a quilt and you're warm as toast.
That was in a cheap 2 man tent but my usual accommodation is a double swag which has quite thick canvas so keeps the heat in quite well, mine you we don't get anywhere near as cold as you guys in NA do.

IMG_20230708_153929.jpg

Last edited:

TrlMixx

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Napa, Napa County, California, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Kramer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6PHL
Great Ideas! Great Photos!

Thank You for the responses.

I like the camp stove and the double sleeping bag idea the best so far.

Keep the Great Ideas Coming! I have more cold weather camping coming up!

Thank you
TrlMixx

Reactions: chadsends

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I think I responded in a similar thread, but I've camped in single digits and in snow. I don't know if you're on the ground or up in a RTT but I like to do tarp, tent, inside tarp or rug, cot, foam pad, sleeping bag, blanket on top. Then I know the whole "ah don't wear clothes you'll sweat and the sweat will freeze" that is BS, I wear socks / pants / shirt / beanie to bed every time.

49551472_1149468388548925_2739681851965702144_n.jpg

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Take one or more of the large 48oz Nalgene bottles and fill it with heated water for in the sleeping bag with you. You can also use large pill bottles full of hot water in your coat pockets.
Little thing on sleeping bags; if the bag is rated for lets say 40°F, it means you shouldn't die if it gets that cold, not that you will be warm and sleep great when it is that cold. I try to use a bag rated for >20° less than what I expect to be in.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

1. A good sleeping mat. If weight is not a consideration (as in you’re driving to your campsite, not walking), there are inflatable pads with very high R values. My Exped DownMat weighs about 1.5 pounds, has an R value of 7 and packs very small. I pair it with a closed cell foam mat (Thermarest) between the ground and inflatable for extra insulation.
2. As previously stated, your sleeping bag’s “rated” temperature is misleading. There are actually three ratings: The survival temperature (the one advertised prominently on the tag); you’ll live, but you’ll shiver a lot. The comfort rating, which is typically 15-20 degrees higher, where you’ll be happy; and a number in between those two, where you may feel somewhat cold, but not uncomfortably so. For outside temps of 5-10 degrees Fahrenheit, I’d have a minus 10 degree bag to stay reasonably warm.
You can fudge that a bit by layering a warm blanket(s) inside your sleeping bag. Don’t place it on top of the sleeping bag, as you’ll compress the down/poly fill and negate it’s effectiveness. Think of making a cocoon, with you in the center.
3. Warm, layered sleeping clothes, with a moisture wicking layer against your skin. Never use cotton as the base layer, as it retains moisture which may make you colder. Merino wool is great, as either a base or middle layer, with warmer fleece garments as outer layers. When selecting wool garments, ALWAYS read the label to see exactly how much wool is in the fabric. Socks/hats/gloves should be at least 50% and other items at least 90% wool for the best warmth. I prefer separate sleeping clothes, as whatever you’ve worn all day may retain moisture and salt from sweating, as well as being dirty.
3. The suggestions of Hot Hands and hot water in a Nalgene bottle are excellent. Add a warm hat or balaclava. Bonus points if your sleeping bag has a built-in hood.
4. Around camp, a fire will certainly help keep you warm. Again, layered clothing with an outer layer of a down jacket. If it’s windy, you can put a loose hardshell jacket over the down jacket. Wool gloves under wind resistant mittens. A balaclava and a warm beanie hat. When washing dishes, use hot water and wear rubber dish gloves, preferably with a thin pair of wool gloves as a base layer.
5. Allegedly, having a high protein, high fat snack shortly before bed increases your metabolism and raises your body heat. At least you won’t be hungry. Also, if you have to pee in the middle of the night, do it (not in the bed, lol!). Having a full bladder makes it difficult to relax and sleep well.

chadsends

Rank II

Contributor III

NC, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Bruner
Member #

Initial burn in, and testing this weekend, live trial run over Veteran's Day weekend. High hopes

Reactions: TrlMixx

GeoSing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

North Canton, OH, USA
First Name
George
Last Name
Singarella
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Thought I would post a topic regarding cold weather camping and how to stay warm when the weather is 9°. Granted, it will warm up to 30° by the afternoon, but when the evening comes, yikes! So, whet do you do to keep warm, and still function at camp.
All great ideas here. Not a fan of too many luxuries when camping, but the advantage of vehicle based camping v. backpacking has serious merit. Find a mat that has a high “R” value, good sleeping bag rated for the temps you will be staying in typically. You can also find decent sleeping bag liners that add warmth rating to your kit. Wear a good base layer when you get in (merino wool), beanie, and eat something before you jump in the sleeping bag. Your body will produce some heat digesting your food. Have your preps ready for a fire when you wake and make some great coffee in the morning!

Reactions: TrlMixx and Speric

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
the eating something before you eat idea is interesting. never really thought about that as a way to generate heat. although, when I eat before bed I will wake up super early very hungry. as in the hunger pangs will wake me. hmmm.

for me, the challenge is getting out of the warm sleeping bag and into the cold air.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I think it's been covered already but here's my 2 cents. I used to backpack on the Laurel trail every winter (temps from 0-32 degrees with snow).

-A good cold rated mummy bag is key. Used with a light pad.
-Fill a nalgene bottle (I use 32 oz) with boiling water and put it at the bottom of your bag as you are going to sleep. You could use hand/boot warmers. I've never done that, but no reason that would work.
-Sleep in clothes/head covering balaclava or similar, but not more than one layer or you will wake up hot in my experience (temp depending- if it's negative 10, adjust as appropriate). It won't kill you but you'll be uncomfortable if you are sweating and it'll make the start of the next day shitty.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I want to put in a word about how to dress for bed when it is cooold. Like most of us I grew up with dress warm and then get in the sleeping bag. This changed for me in the 90's when my son joined the Army. There they taught him to undress, throw the clothes in the bag and climb in.
The theory is that when you climb in fully dressed it takes a longer time for your body heat to reach the sleeping bag and warm it as the heat has to warm your clothes first. When undressed you heat the bag up faster and retain heat, then once the bag is warm you can get dressed if needed. It works for me.

Also in favor of using a pee bottle.