Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
I use the Aero Press too! it wonderful, simple and easy. Takes the some of the bitterness out of the coffee as well!
I use the Aero Press at home and agree with what @CraftyDono says.

When I'm out overlanding/camping, I generally utilize the Starbucks Via Instant packets. They are tolerable to me for the extra convenience.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Some of us keep telling you guys to get a simple filter holder and filters and drop the French/Aero/whatever messy gimmick. It's the best way to have great coffee at home as well as on the road. Of course, that assumes you're not drinking preground Folgers or similar... There's a reason why hipster doofus coffee boutiques finally learned why pour over coffee is the best method ever since Ms. Melitta figured it out decades ago. They still make it too complicated with fancy filter cone holders and exotic paper or gold mesh filters but a $4 Melitta holder with one small hole, paper filters (bleached or not), freshly ground coffee measured correctly to the size of your mug, is the very best way to get a proper cup of coffee.

Don't get me started on tea! :grinning:

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Sorry to hear @blackntan, was waiting to hear your review on the Snowpeak.

Just bought a stainless percolator, going back to old school coffee making.
DEEP JOY A spare is on its way , as for a review i love it Ive got the measure spot on now and the coffee beans just to my liking The only fault being the flimsy bag supplied. All in all.
Value you for money. Bit pricey but well made ( glass top not included ) 8/10
Usability. 10/10

=Jack=

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bentonville, AR, USA
Member #

I use a 34 oz Mueller Austria french press. It's all stainless steel, double-walled, heavy duty, has a mirror finish, and is dishwasher safe. It has multiple screens that keep the grounds from getting into your coffee. It's also very easy to field strip, clean, and reassemble. I bought one from Amazon for $26.00. I highly recommend it, especially if you're looking for something that doesn't have glass or plastic parts.

Reactions: CR-Venturer

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I use a 34 oz Mueller Austria french press. It's all stainless steel, double-walled, heavy duty, has a mirror finish, and is dishwasher safe. It has multiple screens that keep the grounds from getting into your coffee. It's also very easy to field strip, clean, and reassemble. I bought one from Amazon for $26.00. I highly recommend it, especially if you're looking for something that doesn't have glass or plastic parts.
Now that is a nice looking piece of kit, and nicely priced too! For now I'm trying the pour over with the ikea french press to fall back on, but if I ever break it, I'd totally buy that one.

Reactions: =Jack=

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

DEEP JOY A spare is on its way , as for a review i love it Ive got the measure spot on now and the coffee beans just to my liking The only fault being the flimsy bag supplied. All in all.
Value you for money. Bit pricey but well made ( glass top not included ) 8/10
Usability. 10/10
Good to hear. What kind of grind do you use on the coffee that you find works best?

TSnider

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carbondale, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UYA
Pretty much exclusively on cold brew at this point. Rumble Jar is what I use in the fridge, waiting on the RumbleGo Kickstarter to finish up so I dont have to carry a glass jar anymore. I make it in a semi concentrated form so a 32 ounce jar gets me about 40 ounces.10 ounces, a little honey, put it in a Nalgene with a shaker (like people use for protein drinks) shake it up, add a little vanilla almond milk and its amazing. If I need warm coffee I use a GSI french press, or a have one of those tiny cheap stovetop camping espresso makers as well. Caffeine is important.

TSnider

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carbondale, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UYA
@Maxterra taught me the high speed baggie breakfast.

Pre-scramble eggs and any veggies or cheese you like, place in an individual heavy duty freezer bag (one serving per bag) and store in the cooler or fridge. In the morning, get the JetBoil going and plop the whole bag into the boiling water. Cook until done, but pop it out and squish it around to evenly distribute the fillings and make sure the center isn't runny.

My twist: when the eggs are done, drop some pre-ground coffee bags (like tea bags but for coffee) into the boiling water. Eat your hot eggs right out of the baggie and enjoy a hot cup of coffee while everyone else is still getting the pots and pans out. Your only mess is a single spork and your thermal coffee mug, which goes in the rig with you anyway.

Quick, easy, and a surprisingly good hot breakfast to get you on the road. As my dad would say, "We're burning daylight!" I know a lot of purists will say you need a French press and to grind your beans fresh. Believe me, I'm as big a coffee snob as the next guy, but this is actually really good without a lot of mess, or a lot of gear. It might not be the best coffee, but it is hot, black, and full of caffeine goodness. On a frosty morning, you really don't care.

Unless it is Starbucks. Seriously, friends don't let friends drink Starbucks.
I actually made some of these omelettes a few weeks ago for an upcoming trip. I premade them in vacuum sealed bags and froze them so I could batch a bunch at once. I did test one, and it works surprisingly well.

JeffersonJHunt

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

St. Louis, MO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0KZH
Same Here. Highly recommended.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've been using the pour over method, but just bought a Moka pot, and may bring that on a trip to try out.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Simplicity rules the day. For a couple of decades I insisted upon using my 16 cup stainless percolator at home and at camp. That got old fast as it was a major pita to clean, and to pack, not necessarily in that order. My daughter turned me on to French pressed coffee 4 years ago and I have since dumped the percolator and have an 8 cup press at home, a Stanley 16 oz french press for the basecamp, and a (oops ) it is a GSI 16 oz portable press for back packing.

Last edited:

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Went to Brazil a few years ago. They make what I call Cowboy Coffee and it's amazing everywhere (helps their coffee beans are REALLY fresh). Simmer/Boil the water with grounds, hit with some cold water to settle grounds out and then filter it as you pour.

Now I just do that in a kettle and make a pot to share. Seems to be the only way to make decent coffee over 9000 feet since water doesn't get past 195F (91C) before boiling.

Your mileage may vary.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I have several fancy coffee makers at home, but when Im out camping, there is just something about boiling water in a pot, dumping in an unmeasured amount of grinds and then letting it seep and then pouring it into a mug. Early morning, mist rising up off the valley floor and the sun coming over the top of a mountain and a strong cup of joe with a few grounds floating around just seems....so right! :)