Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kent, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

I have a very open relationship with coffee, and I usually have as many ways to make it as I have means of starting a fire. But I always drink it black, no sugar.

My most recently-added fling is a moka pot. Just amazing. Cut it with water, drink it full-strength, or add it to a mug of another type of coffee. I like coffee in my coffee.

Most frequently-used is either pour over or french press (I have a 12-oz. Bodum and an insert that fits Nalgene bottles).

I always bring a standard percolator, but use it mainly for hot water.

I'm not averse to Starbucks Via or some of the similar single-serve packets either.

I should go home and bring it all together for a photo :)

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Daniel Diaz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Harlingen, Texas
Member #

As much as I LOVE coffee, when it comes to wheeling adventures and/or camping, I tend to be lazy with coffee setups. I just boil water and use some instant coffee (HEB Organic instant coffee tastes awesome - GO TEXAN) and Sugar in the Raw packets are my "go-to" setup for coffee. I haven't felt the need to try anything new just yet, but some of the setups in this thread are pretty freakin' cool!!

Cheers!!

Flyte74

Rank 0

Traveler I

As much as I LOVE coffee, when it comes to wheeling adventures and/or camping, I tend to be lazy with coffee setups. I just boil water and use some instant coffee (HEB Organic instant coffee tastes awesome - GO TEXAN) and Sugar in the Raw packets are my "go-to" setup for coffee. I haven't felt the need to try anything new just yet, but some of the setups in this thread are pretty freakin' cool!!

Cheers!!
I'm with you on this. I usually take either Vinacafe or G7 3-in-1 instant coffee. You can find them in most larger Asian stores, or online I suppose. My mom is from Vietnam and I grew up on the stuff so there's a little nostalgic connection, but the coffee is halfway decent. Could be a little less sweet and a bit darker, but it gets the job done for me. If I'm feeling spendy I'll get some starbucks Via and mix some in there to add a little more strength.

Daniel Diaz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Harlingen, Texas
Member #

I'm with you on this. I usually take either Vinacafe or G7 3-in-1 instant coffee. You can find them in most larger Asian stores, or online I suppose. My mom is from Vietnam and I grew up on the stuff so there's a little nostalgic connection, but the coffee is halfway decent. Could be a little less sweet and a bit darker, but it gets the job done for me. If I'm feeling spendy I'll get some starbucks Via and mix some in there to add a little more strength.
I'm lovin' those coffees and hope to find some!! We actually have a pretty decent asian grocery store here in S. Texas, so I'll definitely check it out, especially because it's Vietnamese. Vietnam is on my Top 5 bucket-list countries to visit.

I'm happy you messaged me about this. If I find some, I'll let ya know!!

keepnitgreen

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Comox, BC
Member #

This thread alone was worth the price of OB membership :sunglasses:
...I used to just use Starbucks VIA, but I picked up an aero press after reading about it on this thread..hadn't heard of them before. Love it.

No question that going forward, this will be my go to.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

I use the Stanley Vacuum Coffee System. Wasn't too bad, a bit more grit than I expected, but worked. I do need to get a grinder though.
now you started it - do people take their coffee ground, or do they have a press? If they have a press, which one?

I'd like to say I'm so macho I grind my coffee with my pistol butt, but nah, I take a bag of good beans and grind enough before a given trip to last through. My preference for the actual bean is from our local fair trade roaster, Cafe' Campesino. I know the folks who buy and roast the coffee, so get recommendations on what I might like.

I've got two or three manual grinders in my Amazon wish list, but haven't coughed up the cash -- any recommendations?

CROwarrior21m

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, Arizona
Member #

now you started it - do people take their coffee ground, or do they have a press? If they have a press, which one?

I'd like to say I'm so macho I grind my coffee with my pistol butt, but nah, I take a bag of good beans and grind enough before a given trip to last through. My preference for the actual bean is from our local fair trade roaster, Cafe' Campesino. I know the folks who buy and roast the coffee, so get recommendations on what I might like.

I've got two or three manual grinders in my Amazon wish list, but haven't coughed up the cash -- any recommendations?
Right now, I take just the grounds. Like you, i have a list in my wish list.

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

I use a primula espresso maker with Pilon espresso and either heat water in my camp teapot for americano or heat milk in it and whip it with a french press for cappuccino. Depends on what the wife is in the mood for. Either way it takes about 5 minutes for 4 cups of coffee (which we drink 2 each, generally) and it's delicious. I sometimes do french press, but the espresso uses a lot less grinds and is 5 minutes quicker for the same mount of coffee; but both are delicious.

I have owned the truck for about a year now and have finally gotten around to starting the build. This will be a mild build as this is my daily driver and most of my trips involve lots of hwy miles. The truck has HID head lights and fogs and LED high beams as of today. There are 4 or 5 mods that will start tonight and progress over the next few days.

Enjoy...

Current mods...

Stay tuned...

Overland Bound member #6560
Got to love that Cuban coffee. That's all we drink down here. One shot and your off to the races.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

I somewhat like Aeropress. It doesn't make a full cup, and the wife and I love coffee. But I will use it in a pinch. My van has a 1500 watt inverter, and runs our Nespresso machine just fine lol.

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

I have a wildly inappropriate relationship with coffee. If I am backpacking, Starbucks Via packets are my choice. If I am vehicle supported - a hand grinder and an Aeropress!
honestly, I'm that way - if going ultralight, I try to find the most appropriate caffeine source, pretty much no matter what it is.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
didn't know B
Black Rifle Coffee Company’s instant coffee is outstanding and easy:
View attachment 71580
Dissolves completely without using a spoon/stirring.
RC made instant coffee.....gonna have to look into this as an option in my camp kitchen. Kind of on the fence with the current french press I use as I still end up up with a bunch of grounds in my coffee when I pour it into my cup.