Coffee Set Ups

• HTML tutorial

Foch

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Montana
Hand burr grinder, Sumatra, Aero Press for a cup, REI French press for a pot. 1960's Stanley thermos, beat to hell and still works great. SS travel mug...I like my coffee...a lot

Reactions: Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
French press, here, poured into a Yeti double wall tumbler. Coffee is life, no? P.S. if ever in St. Louis- stop off at Khaldi's Coffee and pick up a bag of their Highlander Grog. It's heaven

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade

Snow peak Titanium French Press and Caffee Latte Set. Don't use the frother much but its there when my wife wants some froth with her hot chocolate. It's light and easy and will last 100 years. Love it.
Is there no end to snow peaks gear. Got admit it there gear is top notch worth the £€$

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
View attachment 51426
I tried out my new GSI Drip Coffee maker this weekend. Super easy to use and clean, but makes kinda weak coffee. The water goes through the filter too quickly. Maybe need to add more coffee grounds. I'll keep experimenting.
You need a finer grind of coffee. It's not the filter pore size, it's the size of the individual particles of coffee that are affecting strength. With a smaller particle size, the surface area is increased, and more coffee can be extracted. Different coffee beans certainly affect apparent "strength" too. Espresso beans, or any coffee with a darker roast, will give you stronger, but not necessarily better, coffee. This is how Starbucks (Charbucks) makes a strong coffee for the mass market which is usually dumbed down with milk, sugar and other additives.

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
I used a silicon filter drip for a while, then a percolator. Both were ok. Probably preferred the filter. But then I switched to Starbucks via packets and haven't looked back. They just work too well, make a good cup of coffee, weigh nothing, take up no space, and require only hot water. So I can do up some water with a pack mess kit using a tiny pack stove in-vehicle when it is -5 outside. With little if anything to clean afterwords (paper coffee cups go in the fire, or help start the fire).

Space in my XJ is at such a premium, that it is hard for me to get excited about kettles, pots, pans, etc.

Reactions: Terex

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

View attachment 51426
I tried out my new GSI Drip Coffee maker this weekend. Super easy to use and clean, but makes kinda weak coffee. The water goes through the filter too quickly. Maybe need to add more coffee grounds. I'll keep experimenting.
Lower the filter so it sits in the water, lift up to drain when it’s strong enough. Use it like a French press instead of a drip machine.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Pour over is a good simple approach for a great cup, but yeah, it's also totally hipster. I should know, I've got a Chemex I use at home...
I also prefer pour-over. I don't like French Press. Plus, pour-over is easier to clean if you use a paper filter. I just got a new GSI pour-over setup.

Reactions: JimInBC and TerryD

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

View attachment 51426
You can try a couple things; maybe try them together. First, for cone filters, you might try a finer grind. That will hold the water in the filter basket longer and make the flavor stronger. Also, try tamping down the coffee slightly after it's in the basket. that will also slow the rate of flow. Hope it helps.

Reactions: Square Foot