Coffee Set Ups

• HTML tutorial

crrockwell14

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Portsmouth RI
Member #

I usually have a couple pipes on me as well, with either my own blends or Steven Books/House of Calabash stuff. Wilke 515 is rum laced, right?
There is a subtle rum-taste to it, but WIlke also has a very rum-heavy Rumcake, which mixes extremely well with Decatur Dark Sweet Rum. What are those blends like? Both your own and the Steven Books/House of Calabash.

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
There is a subtle rum-taste to it, but WIlke also has a very rum-heavy Rumcake, which mixes extremely well with Decatur Dark Sweet Rum. What are those blends like? Both your own and the Steven Books/House of Calabash.
Mine are all heavy VA/Pers for the most part. Steven Books just passed but his blends were some of the best in the world. He had naturally flavored aros, Englishes, and more.

Reactions: crrockwell14

crrockwell14

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Portsmouth RI
Member #

Mine are all heavy VA/Pers for the most part. Steven Books just passed but his blends were some of the best in the world. He had naturally flavored aros, Englishes, and more.
Are there any comparable blends out there? I haven't tried many VA/Pers as of now, but I would definitely like to venture into trying more Periques

jcline

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Rafael, CA
Member #

I've got a caffiano klassic that was gifted to me and it makes a pretty awesome pour over but I've been doing the moka pot lately for something a little more espresso like. The other option would be to make a nice strong batch of cold brew, especially in the summer time. By strong I mean I grind a 12oz bag of beans very coarsely and add like 64oz of water. Careful it will help you see into another dimension if you consume to much.

kickkem

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Independence, MO
Member #

I use all of the methods.

Via when I'm lazy.
Pourover, Sweet Maria Smart Dripper. Very good pourver method, lets you steep it for a few minutes before dripping.
Pourover, MSR coffee strainer. Very good and quick and easy for small cups. Does get grit in the coffee.
(I use a chemex at home, best drip system hands down)
French press: JetBoil, easy and quick and nice to have a dedicated stove/coffee maker for overlanding.
French press: Stanley MVCS, best all around.

This summer we settled on the Stanley Mountain Vacuum Coffee System. It is nice to use the pot to portion the water and boil it. The french press makes a nice easy pot of coffee. Then the vacuum bottle keeps it warm while we nurse it all morning. I get up earlier than my wife, so this way I don't have to make another fresh cup for her.

Here's a video review I did of the Stanley system:
I also tried Kuju disposable pour over. It's good, but not fast and not enough coffee:
-M
Excellent job on the videos. Thanks.

RedRunner

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Bulverde, Texas, United States
First Name
Colton
Last Name
Lindaman
Member #

Lots of great ideas on here but what about grinders. Lots of you have mentioned grinding your own beans but what grinders does everyone us and what is the life span of the grinders being used. I saw the post of the $195.00 grinder but that's not realistic for most and i was someone mention that the have used multiple differnt grinders that all seem to fall apart some way or another. So whats the king of the hill for the under $100 hand burr grinder.

tacoly

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Olympia
Member #

There are lots of hand grinders on the market. I like the Rhinowares hand grinders as a place to start and it runs anywhere from 30.00- 50.00. I have a bunch of hand grinders and that one is the most economical.

Reactions: RedRunner

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Another idea, when we reenact we make 2 gallons of coffee in the following manner. Big pot, water, 10 (the whole pack) of the Maxwell House coffee in sealed filters. I guess 5 could make I gallon, etc. You do the math. Works wonders.

Sent from my E6810 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: H3Coyote

Tomasz Przygoda

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Jose, CA
Member #

My setup maybe a bit overboard, but I use 1500W inverter, Illy iPresso (capsules based) machine and a gas stove powered milk steamer (or occasionally microwave and a cheap milk frother). I'll post pics later on, but in general all my setup fits into single pelican case with room for other kitchen-based gear.

Reactions: H3Coyote

jcline

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Rafael, CA
Member #

Lots of great ideas on here but what about grinders. Lots of you have mentioned grinding your own beans but what grinders does everyone us and what is the life span of the grinders being used. I saw the post of the $195.00 grinder but that's not realistic for most and i was someone mention that the have used multiple differnt grinders that all seem to fall apart some way or another. So whats the king of the hill for the under $100 hand burr grinder.
Hario mini Mill works well for me. It's made of hardy plastic, handle comes off easy and it's the perfect size for my moka pot. Costs about $30.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I make Cowboy coffee in an enamel percolator for my wife and whoever is joining us.
Lol, reading these posts had me rolling - no disrespect. Hell, I love my coffee too! And in fact, I did a tour of duty, working for the coffee giant (Starbucks). I thought, hey with my love of coffee - why not, I live in their backyard. And my god before working for them, I was a drive through / walk-in person - anywhere between 4 to ? times a day. After working for them, I am maybe 1 or 2 times a week (more on the line of - because what I know, and cost) sorry.

But why were the posts cracking me up? Because of how the outdoor industry has changed and changed us. The simplicities and comforts available to us. Nothing wrong with that, I like comfort too, but (for me) I always approach camping, exploring, hiking, etc., with a vintage outlook ;)
I remember camping with my folks (trailer camping) and the good old percolator - though I didn't drink coffee then ;) it is a sweet memory.

Thumbs-up to vegasjeepguy - let me first say, I had my doubts the first time, I tried cowboy coffee. But it is really not bad, I actually like it - no foo-foo fancy equipment, oh I still add some cream. But I also like what it stands for (that's just me). I and a lover of history, back when things were simpler, back when camping really was a way of life, and what they endured and what worked for them, what innovators they were - still stands today, if people want to embrace them.

Please forgive my rambles, this is not a slam or poking fun at anyone - it's just an observation, from someone who is really feeling the change of the world ;) ~cheers