Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

First off, I'm MVHS class of '95.
For the last 15+ years I've been using a French press made of Lexan, a Pocket rocket stove and pot of water. It takes less than 10 minutes from set up to pouring life in a cup.

Reactions: Matt Hixson

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I used to pack beans, a grinder, Aeropress, and a Jetboil. Going through the process of building that cup of coffee was enjoyable. Now I pack VIA, powdered creamer, some sugar and I call it good. Hell, sometimes I just brew tea. No matter what I drink I always use my Yeti Lowball.

Reactions: Matt Hixson

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Backpacking is Jetboil, VIA packet and a packet of hot chocolate in my mug. Overlanding is Jetboil, a Stanley coffee press, and beans I ground at home. Jetboil is quick. Let the ground soak in the Stanley and press after 10 minutes. The Stanley keeps it warm all morning as I drive.

OverlandVan

Rank 0

Traveler I

I used to use a french press, still have 2 of them (3 cup and 5 cup), but moved on to the Moka pot and not looking back. Nice strong coffee and makes exactly 2 cups. You can put the pot straight on the fire or use gas which is what I usually do. I keep the french presses for times when I need to make more than 2 coffees.

french-press-coffee.jpg moka-pot-coffee.jpg

Reactions: Nor Cal Ursa

DCFISK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

LANTANA, TX
Member #

I used to use a french press, still have 2 of them (3 cup and 5 cup), but moved on to the Moka pot and not looking back. Nice strong coffee and makes exactly 2 cups. You can put the pot straight on the fire or use gas which is what I usually do. I keep the french presses for times when I need to make more than 2 coffees.

View attachment 39190 View attachment 39191
If I had a little too much of your John Daniels there, I might need more than 2 cups![emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

drrobinson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0DRR
+1 for Aeropress and a hand grinder. Same thing I use at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Would a Kurig work with a 12v / 120v converter?
I tried to hook up a friend's Keurig to the 115v outlet built into my Jeep JKU once but as soon as it kicked on and started sucking power the outlet shut itself off. I then saw that the built-in inverter only allows 150 Watts, which is 1.3 Amps. The Keurig, depending on the model, draws up to 2000 watts, or ~17 Amps. If you have a separate 12v -> 110-120v power inverter that supports at least 2000 Watts for about 3 minutes, you'll probably be fine. You might want to keep your vehicle running while you make coffee

MattK

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Carlsbad, CA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Keen
Member #

Boil water in a pot.
REI 32oz. French press. Looks like they don't offer it anymore but it seems to be a rebranded Planetary Designs item.
Coffee is more function than a passion for me but I will bring some powder creamer and sugar along to get fancy with. :D

crrockwell14

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Portsmouth RI
Member #

I use the below pour-over brewer, and my favorite coffee with it is Kick Ass by Kicking Horse Coffee.

Just need to boil some water and pour it through!

crrockwell14

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Portsmouth RI
Member #

I love my mokipot, and keep it in the rig at all times. There's nothing like a lil cafecito to keep on moving.
Thats a nice portable humidor, too! When I go overlanding, and everywhere else, I always have my pipe, and at least one blend. My favorite blend so far is Wilke 515, which is actually the same blend that the original actor portraying Sherlock, Basil Rathbone, smoked!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I don't think about it to much, first cup Starbucks instant heating the water with Jet Boil while percolator is brewing. And sometimes just the Starbucks due to time.

Reactions: MBroenkow

mAd mOrdigan

Rank I

Enthusiast I

previously i was doing french press, on the past couple trips this year, i've switched to using an aeropress along with a Hario hand mill. The aeropress is plastic and lightweight. I think I originally convinced wife to buy it because it would be "better" for our camping trips.

Reactions: Jackalope Dave

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
Thats a nice portable humidor, too! When I go overlanding, and everywhere else, I always have my pipe, and at least one blend. My favorite blend so far is Wilke 515, which is actually the same blend that the original actor portraying Sherlock, Basil Rathbone, smoked!
I usually have a couple pipes on me as well, with either my own blends or Steven Books/House of Calabash stuff. Wilke 515 is rum laced, right?

Reactions: crrockwell14