Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Elsinore, Utah, United States
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

Greetings Overland Bounders! I'd like to introduce to you the crown jewel of my setup: the low-budget, multi-use utility adventure trailer.

I bought this 5' x 8' enclosed utility trailer for $500 from my parents who had it custom built back in 2000. It has 50/50 barn-style rear doors, a passenger side access door, and heavy duty leaf springs that give it additional ground clearance and some flex. I use the trailer for pretty much everything so as I started building for overlanding, I wanted to be sure I can still use it for other purposes as well, such as moving furniture, hauling stuff to the dump, and home improvement projects. To that end, I decided everything I'm adding to this should still allow full use of the cargo area when I need it.

The first thing I did was to add a way to use it comfortably as a shelter. For this, I build a 9-post frame from heavy duty PVC (3", I believe) and 3/4" floor decking to use as a sleeping platform. It allows us to load up camping gear under the platform and keep some bedding already setup on the platform. If I ever need the cargo space, the platform disassembles and comes out entirely. So far, it's worked pretty well but I have a couple things to tweak, such as a tie-down system so it doesn't move around on gnarly trails. $70 for the whole thing.

The second thing I've added is a 8' x 9' awning that I built with a few telescoping tent poles and some hardware store supplies. The awning rolls up as one unit and stores nicely inside the trailer so it won't get caught on things and create more wind resistance. When I get to camp, I just roll it out and secure it to the quick fists on the roof of the trailer and I'm good to go. $100 for the awning.

I'm taking out this next weekend, so I'll some shots of it all set up when I get back. I have a bunch more ideas for this trailer and will post updates on it as I add things.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Greetings Overland Bounders! I'd like to introduce to you the crown jewel of my setup: the low-budget, multi-use utility adventure trailer.

I bought this 5' x 8' enclosed utility trailer for $500 from my parents who had it custom built back in 2000. It has 50/50 barn-style rear doors, a passenger side access door, and heavy duty leaf springs that give it additional ground clearance and some flex. I use the trailer for pretty much everything so as I started building for overlanding, I wanted to be sure I can still use it for other purposes as well, such as moving furniture, hauling stuff to the dump, and home improvement projects. To that end, I decided everything I'm adding to this should still allow full use of the cargo area when I need it.

The first thing I did was to add a way to use it comfortably as a shelter. For this, I build a 9-post frame from heavy duty PVC (3", I believe) and 3/4" floor decking to use as a sleeping platform. It allows us to load up camping gear under the platform and keep some bedding already setup on the platform. If I ever need the cargo space, the platform disassembles and comes out entirely. So far, it's worked pretty well but I have a couple things to tweak, such as a tie-down system so it doesn't move around on gnarly trails. $70 for the whole thing.

The second thing I've added is a 8' x 9' awning that I built with a few telescoping tent poles and some hardware store supplies. The awning rolls up as one unit and stores nicely inside the trailer so it won't get caught on things and create more wind resistance. When I get to camp, I just roll it out and secure it to the quick fists on the roof of the trailer and I'm good to go. $100 for the awning.

I'm taking out this next weekend, so I'll some shots of it all set up when I get back. I have a bunch more ideas for this trailer and will post updates on it as I add things.

Cheers!

View attachment 107677

View attachment 107678

View attachment 107679

View attachment 107680

View attachment 107681

There's a ton you can do with a trailer like that.

I almost went that route myself, and even though I ended up with something else, I'm interested in what else you do with this. Keeping it easily modifiable is key, far as I'm concerned. I keep my van interior set up the same way; easy to set up with bed, bike storage, and all the stuff I want for adventuring, but I can easily empty it if I want to carry cargo strapped to the floor, or help someone move, etc.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Cheers!

View attachment 107677

View attachment 107678

View attachment 107679

View attachment 107680

View attachment 107681
If I didn't have my 43 year old 13' (actual trailer size 10') travel trailer I would go this route myself. It's smart, it's practical and fun to work with building it to suit yourself. I watch a lot of Bob Wells videos and a lot of his tribe are going that route. What size trailer is it ? Can you sleep cross ways ? I think you have as much room inside that as I do in my scamp, maybe more. If I may ask, how much did you have to pay for it ? How much so you think it weighs ? Very good platform, congratulations there.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok I do not want to be a downer her but I got to say something, this is not the way to go at all, it is not safe and your not going to be happy in the long run, but i feel for you, so I am willing to give you $800 for the set up to help you get a fresh start, I will most likely just let this sit someplace out of the way (he says whistling while looking up to the sky...).

LOL!

Great start and I love the idea. Please keep sharing with us what you do as you do it.

Jim

Codebeagle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

If I didn't have my 43 year old 13' (actual trailer size 10') travel trailer I would go this route myself. It's smart, it's practical and fun to work with building it to suit yourself. I watch a lot of Bob Wells videos and a lot of his tribe are going that route. What size trailer is it ? Can you sleep cross ways ? I think you have as much room inside that as I do in my scamp, maybe more. If I may ask, how much did you have to pay for it ? How much so you think it weighs ? Very good platform, congratulations there.
Thank you! The trailer is 5’ wide by 8’ long, so it’s a little tight for me to sleep cross ways, but easy for the kids. I bought it for $700 from a family member back in 2014, I think. Not sure on the weight but my estimate is somewhere around #1500-1800 loaded up.

Codebeagle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

Ok I do not want to be a downer her but I got to say something, this is not the way to go at all, it is not safe and your not going to be happy in the long run, but i feel for you, so I am willing to give you $800 for the set up to help you get a fresh start, I will most likely just let this sit someplace out of the way (he says whistling while looking up to the sky...).

LOL!

Great start and I love the idea. Please keep sharing with us what you do as you do it.

Jim
LOL, very smooth! I’ll post some more after some upcoming trips and projects.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thank you! The trailer is 5’ wide by 8’ long, so it’s a little tight for me to sleep cross ways, but easy for the kids. I bought it for $700 from a family member back in 2014, I think. Not sure on the weight but my estimate is somewhere around #1500-1800 loaded up.
Hooked up to your rig it looks much bigger. Can you stand up inside, that would surly make up for width, I'm thinking bunk bed would take up less floor space. It Will be a fun project to plan and build it has so many possibilities !
Good luck !

Reactions: Codebeagle