Christmas/New Years day trip in Alleghany National Forest (o/a 29DEC2017

• HTML tutorial

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

OB East Crew, especially those residing in Western PA, I am coming up from DC for the holidays (roughly a week) to visit family and friends in the Burgh and am looking to do a day run up to the Alleghany National Forest. Anyone have any good maps, info on good trails/forest roads in the area.

I grew up with a camp in Marienville, so I am familiar with that immediate area, but haven't been there in well over 20 years. the invite is open to anyone wanting to play.

My schedule is open all week as I plan to get into town on the 26th and will be around thru the 2nd of JAN. If anyone else is interested, let me know and we'll coordinate something!

Tim

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I may be up for it. It'd be my 1st official trip. Not sure what work scheduling will be. I may be last minute. Red House/ Quaker Lake exits are within 40 minutes from me going east on 86.

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

Thanks for the info. Just got up here in Natrona Heights for Thanksgiving. Turning and burning back to MD tomorrow. I plan to be up here from December 26th thru January 1st. I'm thinking we could do the trip Friday. If more folks have off Saturday, we can go that day instead.

I'll be leaving from the A -K Valley area either from Natrona Heights or from Delmont depending on whose parents we stay with. Either way we can establish a link up point once we confirm the attendees and average driving times for folks. I suspect most folks in the area have about a 2 hr drive (more or less). If we plan to reach the ANF around 0800 or so we will get a solid day in before the sun sets around 5pm. That puts everyone back around dinner time, ish, and keeps the wives happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Unless of course the wives and the dogs come along. Lol. As of now, I have the week after Christmas off. Depending on production #'s. So I guess I'm 97% in.

Reactions: outwardbound

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Check out Bald Eagle State Forest. Went there during the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival. Great ride! Pick up a Purple Lizard Trail map for the area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app
Or just invite a member with extensive knowledge of the area haha.

Subbing because I'm not afraid to drive across Pennsyltucky to get together with OTO.

Reactions: outwardbound

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Need me to break that down for you?

I was just joking about only western Pa (aka Pennsylvania, aka Pennsyltucky) members getting the invite. I subscribed to the thread because I'm not against making the drive across the state to get together. Bald Eagle State Forest is a great place, I know it well. Lastly OTO is a reference to Ozark Trail Overland. A term affectionately coined at Expo East this year by the original poster of the thread.

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

Need me to break that down for you?

I was just joking about only western Pa (aka Pennsylvania, aka Pennsyltucky) members getting the invite. I subscribed to the thread because I'm not against making the drive across the state to get together. Bald Eagle State Forest is a great place, I know it well. Lastly OTO is a reference to Ozark Trail Overland. A term affectionately coined at Expo East this year by the original poster of the thread.
You're absolutely invited, as is anyone from the Ozark Trail Overland crew. Haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xytjb4tdfi91n30/Kinzua_Dam.gpx?dl=0

a link to a trail that was ran this summer. there was a gate at one point so give me a bit to figure out where that was to see if it can be avoided. but the trail started at Jakes Rocks and went to the Kinzua Sky bridge then down to kelletville for some primitive camping
Is the entire trail doable in a day? Also, what were the trail conditions? Anything real technical? Any water crossings? I haven't really compared the route on Gaia to Google Earth yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk