Chicagoland/Illinois

• HTML tutorial

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chicago | Western Suburbs
Member #

Another new Overlander here with no rough terrain experience. I have a stock 2017 4Runner Off Road Premium with the TRD Pro package. Other than some more capable tires than the Bridgestone Duellers, what would be necessary for me to do to my rig in order to have fun in McHenry, the Badlands in IN or the trans Wisconsin trail? I have some rock sliders ordered from C4 Fab and the tires (either Goodyear MTR or Goodrich KO2s) will go on in a month or so. Looking forward to meet ups in the area.

WindyCity_MDX

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New to overloading and I don't have a "conventional" overland vehicle (body-on-frame). Been trying to get back into camping after a long hiatus. Not looking to turn my SUV into a mountain goat but to get through any weather especially during an emergency.

Currently located in the north side of Chicago with wifey-poo.

Matt Cerasa

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Cer
Member #

Another new Overlander here with no rough terrain experience. I have a stock 2017 4Runner Off Road Premium with the TRD Pro package. Other than some more capable tires than the Bridgestone Duellers, what would be necessary for me to do to my rig in order to have fun in McHenry, the Badlands in IN or the trans Wisconsin trail? I have some rock sliders ordered from C4 Fab and the tires (either Goodyear MTR or Goodrich KO2s) will go on in a month or so. Looking forward to meet ups in the area.
Hi Rangone, with your vehicle the first two things I would replace after the tires and rock sliders would be the rear bumper, then the front bumper in that order. With a vehicle like the 4 runner, the rear bumper is going to be the first thing to get crunched if you go over any kind of rocky step decline or over anything that exceeds the departure angle of your vehicle. Better when a steel bumper comes down in a rock then a plastic one. Same with the front one.

Honestly after that, you should be good. I've seen stock suspension 4 runners tackle some crazy stuff in Moab. Most of it is driver skill

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Eric Stencel

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Thanks Matt. I appreciate the advice. I like the c4 fab front bumper/winch but haven't researched the rear. Driver skill is something we plan to work towards on less technical terrain soon.

Contributor II

Matt. I have been wheeling my 2014 4runner for 3 years now.. for what you described you are going to do, there is nothing other than sliders that would be absolutely needed. There are fun things to have, but they are not must haves... I have a c4 fab bumper and skids... With winch, never needed them, nice insurance. Hit us up sometime at chitown4x4.com if you need to talk parts or wanna save some $$ on them... We stock most of it!

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Eric Stencel

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I wish I would have found you guys before I ordered from C4Fab. Will Chitown4x4 install parts that don't come from the shop? I'll bring my sliders over after I get them powder coated in Brookfield and we can talk tires too. I don't have a budget cleared yet for a rack and ladder but Im glad to hear you guys are nearby.

Matt Cerasa

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Cer
Member #

Matt. I have been wheeling my 2014 4runner for 3 years now.. for what you described you are going to do, there is nothing other than sliders that would be absolutely needed. There are fun things to have, but they are not must haves... I have a c4 fab bumper and skids... With winch, never needed them, nice insurance. Hit us up sometime at chitown4x4.com if you need to talk parts or wanna save some $$ on them... We stock most of it!

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app
I think you have me mixed up with the person I replied to. I stand by my post as I've witnessed mostly rear 4 runner bumpers getting crunched on rocks so many times. All it takes is one time and your rear bumpers toast plus all the brackets. I've even seen one guy come down on an angle and the bumper pushed out his quarter panel. 4 runners don't have the best departure angle on a stock bumper. Just google search pictures [emoji51] Not to mention it looks great [emoji16]. But I'm a wrangler guy so....

Love the FJ btw

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: RAngone

Phil C

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chicago
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Crisologo
Member #

Hey everyone! New member here from Chicago (Galewood to be exact). Been browsing the OB site for a while though but officially joined recently and awaiting my care package. Hopefully I can make it to one of the meetups to meet some of you folks! (I wasn't able to get out to the CT4x4 events due to work and a trip to NC)

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Hey everyone! New member here from Chicago (Galewood to be exact). Been browsing the OB site for a while though but officially joined recently and awaiting my care package. Hopefully I can make it to one of the meetups to meet some of you folks! (I wasn't able to get out to the CT4x4 events due to work and a trip to NC)
Welcome aboard! What do you drive?

I take the train through Galewood on my way downtown everyday.

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

Hello fellow Chicagoland overlanders! SW burbs here, Shorewood. Been looking over this site for awhile, makes me feel I should move to Colorado. Any meetups, trips or trails planned soon? Would be great to get everyone together.

Reactions: Lead K9 and RAngone

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

Hello Everyone in Chicagoland Midwest Overland Bound,
Getting the word out that a meetup has been scheduled for Saturday October 7th at the Bass Pro Shop in Bolingbrook. It's next to the Promenade shopping center off the exit of Boughton Road and I-355. Meetup is scheduled from 1000-1200 or however long we decide to stay. An invite was sent out using the Rally Point feature on this web site, but it only allows up to 50 members in the invitation based on the member map. All are welcome, so trying to get the word out to everyone as there seems to be more than 50 of us in the area. It's also listed in the Meetups Forum.
It will be an informal event to get to know other members in the area and possibly plan a regular meetup schedule. Other topics of interest are trails and OHV options within a reasonable distance, planned trips like the TransWisAT, vehicle build features, communication preferences, dual battery systems, etc. If any members in attendance are able to speak to some of this that would be great.
Hope to see you there!

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

Chicagoland Meetup
It was great to meet everyone today! Looking forward to the Wisconsin Adventure Trail!

TRL DMG1

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chicago
Member #

Hello artist8686. I live in Wilmette and I am new to the group. Had my renegade at the 22nd Annual Northwoods Jeep Jamboree last July and it did pretty good on the trails. I'd like to find some locals to go trail hopping with that's one reason I joined. I go to the Nicolet National Forest a few times a year. So far solo so not to aggressive with trails.

Reactions: WellFuch

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

The Chicogoland Travel Group made its first trail run this weekend on the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail. Despite the rainy, gray weather a good time was had by all. Trail conditions were fairly easy and there is talk of finishing the northern part of the trail at a later date. Pictures will be posted soon.

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

Hey guys, new Chicago residents on the forum! We're Matthew and Kelly, and our rig is a 2001 Jeep XJ prerunner outfitted to be a two person camper. Looking forward to doing some trail rides/overland trips in a convoy soon!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using OB Talk mobile app
Welcome Matthew and Kelly! Stay tuned to the Chicagoland Travel Group posts, we're a bunch of newer members to OB and just completed our first group trail ride this last weekend. We'll be scheduling some more meetups and planning more trips soon. We'd love to have you join the group!