Chevy TBI Idle problem(IAC?)

• HTML tutorial

Rob K

Rank II

Advocate II

This one is pretty technical but I can't seem to find my exact problem anywhere and I thought I would share it here and see if we can't figure it out.

So my girlfriend has a 95 K2500/Silverado with a 350 Small Block with Throttle Body Injection. Recently in the cold weather the truck has had a hard time starting and wont idle on its own until it warms up for about 2-3 minutes(Manual Throttle input is needed so that it doesn't stall). Other then those first few minutes the truck idles well and I can't notice any significant performance problems.

The first thing I did was check the vacuum lines and hoses to make sure everything was still in the right place. What I did find was the vacuum hose going to the EGR Valve solenoid had come lose and disconnected. So I reconnected that and also took the Idle Air Control valve (IAC) out and cleaned it and put that back.

Initially after doing this the truck started and idled up the way it is supposed to. It started and raised the idle up to about 1750 (It was about 20 degrees out yesterday) then slowly lowered it down to about 1000 as the engine warmed up. Problem solved!....Until it say a few more hours and the temperature continued to drop.

Later that night we went to start the truck it continued to have the original problem. With the idle never raising above 1000 unless manual input was used.

At this point I am going to try replacing the IAC. I think it is getting stuck in the closed position and will not allow the idle to raise up when it is cold. I'll keep updated as I continue to diagnose this problem.

Any other recommendations or ideas on the issue? Please let me know and I'll try to take a look. Thanks!

Rob K

Rank II

Advocate II

To wrap up this post......

Yes, it was indeed the IAC valve that had failed or was failing. This past weekend I changed both that and the connector going to it and the truck idles up the way it should now. While searching the internet I did not run into a lot of symptoms similar to this, but in case anyone else has a similar issue, this was the fix for me.