• HTML tutorial

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

.... for what its worth
Thanks. It’s the second time I’ve seen a reviewer mention the front being weird, and inducing motion sickness doesn’t bode well for my wife, lol. Only way to know for sure is to brave the lots and test them out. I was surprised by how poorly the Ranger did off road. However, they also said the Colorado doesn’t have a locking rear, which I guess is technically true. Although it does have an automatic locking rear. It also sounded like the Tacoma had its crawling feature on or something — I could hear the clicking. And I’m not sure if the driver of the Ford ever locked the rear. And now it appears there’s a potential MPG/EPA issue with the Ranger.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

She didn’t put the Tacoma in low range, so crawl control could not have been engaged. No locker either. 4hi the whole way up. If you heard clicking it was probably the noisy leaf springs or camera gear clinking around.

It didn’t look like the guy in the Chevy needed 4lo. I think he just engaged it to engage it.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
It doesn't help the colorado platform that most owners are older and aren't willing to modify anything so no crowd begging for aftermarket items in the U.S. in Australia and parts of asia however the holden colorado and isuzu d max have been around for a while and is very popular and there are a lot of aftermarket parts available, you can import parts pretty easily and most fit the us market colorado. Most of the parts i use ive imported from Australia and the Philippines.

You need to check out the FaceBook pages for the Colorado. There are dozens and dozens of specialty shops making everything you can think of for the Colorado's. 3 or 4 companies are making super charger kits, tons of suspension parts, thousands of bolt on stuff.

Reactions: Arailt

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

She didn’t put the Tacoma in low range, so crawl control could not have been engaged. No locker either. 4hi the whole way up. If you heard clicking it was probably the noisy leaf springs or camera gear clinking around.

It didn’t look like the guy in the Chevy needed 4lo. I think he just engaged it to engage it.
Thanks for clarifying that. Makes the Ford look even worse.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I know this is an old thread, but I'm going to chime in here.

I'm currently rolling around in a stock 04 colorado z71.

They're great platforms,but like any other vehicle, they also have some weaknesses. The 4 and 5 cylinder trucks have very few options for lockers. Z71s come the the g80 (which is an automatically locking diff), and they do work quite well. If you can source an 8.6" axle from a v8 colorado, it's a direct swap, and you have way more options.

The front differential isn't strong enough to take a locker, since it's an aluminum housing. Several people have swapped them for a cast iron diff from an h3, but those are really hard to find.

The steering rack bushing has a tendency to break from heavy off roading. Mayhem Metal Works makes a much stronger replacement part for 200 that solves the problem.

Cv axles are notorious for breaking without doing a differential drop.

The stock transmission cooler (on automatic equipped trucks) is pretty inadequate for the truck. Adding an auxiliary cooler (fairly easy job) helps tremendously to keep your transmission in a healthy condition.

The last big one is the valves in the cylinder head. From 04-08, GM used sub-par valve guides. This causes the valves to not function properly, which will cause misfires, bad gas milage, and other issues. A valve job (about $300-$500, if you can get the head off yourself)solves the problem.

All that being said, these are fairly capable trucks. My truck has 182k on the odometer, and is still purring along. I definitely have some maintenance stuff I need to take care of (new radiator, drivers side cv, diff seal, and transfer case output seal), but parts are cheap, and they're fairly easy to work on.

You can also source mods from overseas for a dmax. Most parts that fit an 04-12 dmax and holden colorado will fit the us models.

If you have any questions, let me know. If nothing else, I can try and point you in the right direction.

Reactions: JCWages

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

The Hummer H3 was the SUV version of the Gen1 Colorado/Canyon. Great truck with a solid engine and easy to work on. I was well north of 100K on mine when I sold it and I still got good money out of it. The only thing I didn’t like was that it was anaemic on the interstate. Not really the fault of the I5, it was the gearing and the 4 wheel drive system.

I imagine the Colorado/Canyon is every bit as good on the trail. It’s a sure-footed platform and I never once had trouble with the 4 wheel drive.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Thanks. It’s the second time I’ve seen a reviewer mention the front being weird, and inducing motion sickness doesn’t bode well for my wife, lol. Only way to know for sure is to brave the lots and test them out. I was surprised by how poorly the Ranger did off road. However, they also said the Colorado doesn’t have a locking rear, which I guess is technically true. Although it does have an automatic locking rear. It also sounded like the Tacoma had its crawling feature on or something — I could hear the clicking. And I’m not sure if the driver of the Ford ever locked the rear. And now it appears there’s a potential MPG/EPA issue with the Ranger.
If youve seen a ranger in person you may have noticed the tiny little rear sliding window thats useless, and the tiny little bed of the truck that wont even hold a kids 4 wheeler. I had a good look at one at a rtruck and jeep show recently and im not impressed the interior is really cheap too.

Just cuz i own a chevrolet colorado dont mean i hate ford rangers in fact i have a 2000 ranger with way more bed space than the new one and i suspect it has more capability than the newer ones, im in the camp that says all rangers should be turned into baja trucks 20190428_074627_1556455588627.jpg20190420_150141.jpg

Reactions: jplemons

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
The Hummer H3 was the SUV version of the Gen1 Colorado/Canyon. Great truck with a solid engine and easy to work on. I was well north of 100K on mine when I sold it and I still got good money out of it. The only thing I didn’t like was that it was anaemic on the interstate. Not really the fault of the I5, it was the gearing and the 4 wheel drive system.

I imagine the Colorado/Canyon is every bit as good on the trail. It’s a sure-footed platform and I never once had trouble with the 4 wheel drive.
The biggest issue with the 355 is ground clearance. On the last trip I did, I had to stop a couple of times to dig some rocks out from under the truck. I didn't have skids at the time, and a large rock managed to wedge itself between the transfer case and rear most cross member. On the same trip I got high centered on my transmission cross member.

Other than that, I've not had any issues. The g80 works surprisingly well for me, and is relatively cheap to replace if it grenades.

A torsion crank and differential drop would likely solve most of my clearance issues, but I have to replace a few things first.

Reactions: J.W.

Overmodified

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

The biggest issue with the 355 is ground clearance. On the last trip I did, I had to stop a couple of times to dig some rocks out from under the truck. I didn't have skids at the time, and a large rock managed to wedge itself between the transfer case and rear most cross member. On the same trip I got high centered on my transmission cross member.

Other than that, I've not had any issues. The g80 works surprisingly well for me, and is relatively cheap to replace if it grenades.

A torsion crank and differential drop would likely solve most of my clearance issues, but I have to replace a few things first.
I was able to solve the ground clearance issue on mine with some slight mods and 37" tires..

My build was a little extreme because I plan on doing a little more rock crawling than the average Colorado owner, but I agree that it's a very capable platform with plenty of interior room and cheap replacement parts.

If you know anyone who needs any drivetrain parts from a V8 Colorado I still have the front and rear axles and T-case from mine that I'm looking to get rid of.
IMG_0475.jpg

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I was able to solve the ground clearance issue on mine with some slight mods and 37" tires..

My build was a little extreme because I plan on doing a little more rock crawling than the average Colorado owner, but I agree that it's a very capable platform with plenty of interior room and cheap replacement parts.

If you know anyone who needs any drivetrain parts from a V8 Colorado I still have the front and rear axles and T-case from mine that I'm looking to get rid of.
View attachment 101551
Did you sas yours? I'm leaning towards doing an sas swap, but don't have any Fabrication abilities.

As far as those parts go, I actually could use the CVS, depending on price/shipping. I'd love to swap my 8" axle for the 8.6" from the v8, but don't really need to right now.

BTW, that is one sexy 355. :DROOL: