Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon capability

• HTML tutorial

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

I have a gen 1 GMC Canyon. I have the 3.7 i5 4x4. I have many friends into off roading and It is interesting how many people are in love with many of the typical platforms everybody else uses . Why is it that the Chevy trucks don’t get respect ? This little truck has a lot of power and is very light . I have been through thick mud snow and everything else . Seems that it gets me through anything I need and had always been reliable . Got 200k on it now with no issues . Anybody else have running one these trucks with same or different results ?

I haw been real happy with mine

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Graeman

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

When I think of overlanding, I barely (rarely?) think of a truck. SUVs seem like a better option for what I do, which is bring friends along, or several children, and have a cavernous inside for gear...

Trucks are great, I have one, but I take the suv overlanding.

There is probably a reason most overlanding rigs are:
Land Cruisers
4Runners
Jeeps
Monteros
Troopers
Etc. (read: nearly any midsized 4x4 SUV that is narrow on the trail, holds people/gear inside, and has opportunity for a large roof rack for more storage)

A truck (with either a cap or a roof rack) closes off the cab from the bed, meaning you have to get out to access any of the storage space, whereas an SUV you can access at least some of the storage space inside.

Adding a cap may seem like the same thing as buying an SUV, but then you have to add a drawer system or climb into the back of the truck, under the cap, on the metal bed, on your knees...

I know there are trucks that overland, and that’s cool. It just doesn’t make sense for my primary mission, and obviously the majority of the overlanding community.

I didn’t mention my vehicle, an Expedition, because it is an outlier, certainly not common in the overlanding world. It’s wider than a midsize, longer than a midsize, consumes more gas than a midsize, and basically just doesn’t fit the mold. I can ask why people don’t use Expeditions, but I think I already kinda get it... :):):)

James

Overmodified

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Star, Idaho, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Spencer
Member #

I have a gen 1 GMC Canyon. I have the 3.7 i5 4x4. I have many friends into off roading and It is interesting how many people are in love with many of the typical platforms everybody else uses . Why is it that the Chevy trucks don’t get respect ? This little truck has a lot of power and is very light . I have been through thick mud snow and everything else . Seems that it gets me through anything I need and had always been reliable . Got 200k on it now with no issues . Anybody else have running one these trucks with same or different results ?

I haw been real happy with mine

I agree with you that the 355 Colorado/Canyon is a great platform that is somewhat undiscovered in the overland/off road world. I'm building a 2010 Colorado crew cab V8 for overland/trail use and am anxious to get it on the road this summer.

Personally I prefer the truck configuration over the SUV, and its hard to argue with the price point of the Colorado. My crew cab is roomier than my JK Unlimited and weighs 1000# less. Add the 300hp factory V8 and it's pretty hard to beat. Also, the vast availability of cheap replacement parts makes it a very budget friendly choice.

I see you're in my neck of the woods, let me know if you are looking for any parts for your truck. My build is pretty extreme so I have a lot of low mile drivetrain parts that you might be able to use (Factory 4:10 truck with locker).

Jim

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Trucks with caps are some of the best overland platforms. Take a look at TacomaWorld and see what those guys do with them. They're great because you can design a bed/cap/drawer system to your liking and none of the dirty stuff gets in your cab.

GMs don't get talked about as much because they don't have the aftermarket and popularity that Toyota does. That said, they're more than capable platforms. Build away!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Graeman and BrianP

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

I have no problem with the Toyota’s as well have many friends with them . Seem to be capable. I think a large reason for what you said is that Toyota did a good job of marketing them across the globe. So they are on literally every continent. That means it’s a giant aftermarket parts market .

NorCalZR2

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
J
Last Name
P
There's a weekly OB meet up at sunrise mall that we can join. I plan on attending once I get my truck on the road, just have a little work to do between now and then...
Too bad the Facebook group requires you to buy a membership. I would be happy to meet up and plan some trips with OB folks.

When is the next meet-up?

Reactions: wheelhard916

NorCalZR2

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
J
Last Name
P
There's a weekly OB meet up at sunrise mall that we can join. I plan on attending once I get my truck on the road, just have a little work to do between now and then...
I stand corrected on this group...there group does meet at the mall, and they are cool cats. Facebook group does not require a OB membership. There is one that does though.

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

I’m looking for my first rig and am considering a used ZR2 or a new Ranger. I’ve thought about the ZR1 but am concerned about the rear differential and clearance.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I have no problem with the Toyota’s as well have many friends with them . Seem to be capable. I think a large reason for what you said is that Toyota did a good job of marketing them across the globe. So they are on literally every continent. That means it’s a giant aftermarket parts market .

I think this hits it. Chevy (and Ford and Dodge) has a market strategy more geared towards work here in North America, while Toyota has a global strategy of showcasing their products as a do anything machine. Around here its plain to see, TONS of toyotas geared up for exploring and play, but not a single service truck, all the legit work trucks are Chevy, Ford, or Dodge (with the most common ones being Ford 350, 450, and 550s). It really just comes down to chosen market.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

The Land Cruiser is the only global platform 4x4 Toyota sells in the US (LX and GX if you want to split hairs).

I think the reputation of reliability and performance of the Tacoma is the driver behind its popularity (sales numbers), and that is the driver for the healthy US aftermarket.

Performance + reliability = sales
More Sales = better aftermarket

US automakers have always focused on full-size trucks because that’s where the money is in the US. That, combined with Toyota’s more capable and reliable platform, let Toyota run away with the mid-size truck sales title for a long time. It seems Ford and GM are putting a little more effort into their mid-size offerings these days. Time will tell if they can dethrone Toyota.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It doesn't help the colorado platform that most owners are older and aren't willing to modify anything so no crowd begging for aftermarket items in the U.S. in Australia and parts of asia however the holden colorado and isuzu d max have been around for a while and is very popular and there are a lot of aftermarket parts available, you can import parts pretty easily and most fit the us market colorado. Most of the parts i use ive imported from Australia and the Philippines.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Nice video. The only surprise there was how terrible the new Ranger is. I’m not a Ford fan, but the whole truck is just disappointing. Reinforces why the off-road aftermarket is a plenty for the Tacoma though.