Cheaperlanding

• HTML tutorial

rotary

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sacramento
Member #

So my father became ill a few years back and ended up passing away. My wife and I bought my parents house while he was sick to get them to a new place quickly. My parents ended up leaving a huge amount of "junk" in the garage which has been pretty frustrating to deal with. I just spent the day going over some of it and I came up with a cot, water jugs, sleeping bags, propane tanks, space heaters, 2 burner propane stove, lanterns and tools. Obviously its not a roof top tent, a lift kit or any of that other high dollar stuff but its a start. So my wife and I are going to rent a cabin for fathers day and find some dirt trails to play around on when we get there.
I had to post this because i've been so focused on roof top tents and other expensive items that I missed how much gear I already have just gathering dust.

Attachments

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

You don't need that stuff to overland anyhow. Lots of folks run out and trick out their rigs to be "hardcore overlanders" for those sweeet Instagram "likes" buying gear and doing mods without even knowing what they like or why they're doing said mods.

Learn your truck and learn your preferences and work from there. Amazing how many guys don't even know the stock limitations of their vehicle before they've put bigger tires and a lift on it just so they can go car camping in SoCal.

Cheers to your adventures.

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

If you create a wish list for yourself and you price things properly you can find a way to buy at least one decent thing every paycheck or every other paycheck if you balance it right that's how I gain all my gear and then save up a little each paycheck to buy the big things that you want but it definitely helps to create a list with prices so you know where you stand with your budget

Reactions: EscoTerrestrial

Traveler I

US
Swapmeets and yard sales are great for these items. People clean out their garages and sell this stuff for cheap. You have to keep your eyes peeled. Many people think over landing is about the vehicle itself but that's only a small portion. Preparedness is more essential. Being self sufficient on a trail or in the wilderness. Those tools are a score my friend[emoji108]

Sent from my NX16A11264 using Tapatalk

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

I like Overlanding on the cheap because working on the cheap usually means keeping it simple. All my gear is stuff I have scrounged modified or adapted to meet a need. If anything breaks I and usually fix it and if I can't I'm not out all that much. It is also fun to find things and then ask myself "what can I do with this?" and then let my imagination wander.

Traveler I

US
I like Overlanding on the cheap because working on the cheap usually means keeping it simple. All my gear is stuff I have scrounged modified or adapted to meet a need. If anything breaks I and usually fix it and if I can't I'm not out all that much. It is also fun to find things and then ask myself "what can I do with this?" and then let my imagination wander.
I've made a decent living doing just that.

Sent from my NX16A11264 using Tapatalk

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I started off with a standard rig, cooker, pot, plate, big spoon, kfs, cup, first aid kit and fire extingusher and I had several excellent day trips travelling around my local area. What that taught me was my trucks capabilities, it also taught me what I needed and really wanted rather than what I thought I wanted.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

When I was 14/15/16 we would ride junk dirt bikes in the desert in the East (Phoenix/Mesa) Valley (back in the 70's, before they fenced everything) and explore and camp 2 and 3 nights a week when school was out. We had worn out sleeping bags, a knife, matches, and pliers. Sometimes we had food, sometimes we didn't. We explored every inch of that desert for pennies.

But, we were young.......

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Wow, that stuff looks like a great start! all you need is a $20 tarp some rope and hit the road! Sac is so close to the Sierra foothills with almost endless exploring, trails and history. Weather is perfect for a tarp style tent and cot! ok maybe a good sleeping bag which you will need with any tent!

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

I have a ton of old camping stuff I got from my grandfather and my stepdad. Sometimes the "junk" is gold. Enjoy your Father's Day camp out. It's all about the place and the people, even if they are only there in your memory.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Reactions: tritonl

Shane

Rank I

Contributor III

Bread, bologna and cheese, and a color for a few drinks for a day trip. If you want to cook something, consider

http://www.cabelas.com/product/camping/camp-cooking-dining/camp-blind-stoves|/pc/104795280/c/581015880/sc/104246280/camp-chef-butane-one-burner-stove/1168735.uts

You can also find the Coleman brand at Walmart ... unlike many camp stoves, you can use any size skillet on one.

And for larger, more expensive gear, Craigslist
I picked up something similar to that at ALDI for $15 a few weeks ago and plan on using it as a back up the the trusty coleman 2 burner propane stove I've had since I was 11

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Overlanding(Car camping/offroading/wheelin/camping/trekking... call it what you will) is what you make of it. When I was a teenager and had my old jeeps, I thought camping was a 12 pack of beer, hot dogs and getting out to the remotest part of the sierras I could find without breaking anything so I could get back home. In college I thought it was all about the engine I could swap into the rig and the beefiest axles I could find in a junkyard and the tallest tires. Out of college I thought it was all about ditching the rig and getting there with my own two feet(still is sometimes to me). Now(into my forties) i think its all about how much I can get my wife to tolerate and how comfortable I can make her as well as testing the limits of just how far out into the boonies I can get her. Gear is gear. It changes with technology and fads. I, currently, stick to as little as possible that I can bring without sacrificing too much comfort. The most important part of the equation is your brain and just how you use it to keep you and your loved ones safe but adventurous.

Username Not Found

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oceanside, CA
Member #

Overlanding(Car camping/offroading/wheelin/camping/trekking... call it what you will) is what you make of it. When I was a teenager and had my old jeeps, I thought camping was a 12 pack of beer, hot dogs and getting out to the remotest part of the sierras I could find without breaking anything so I could get back home. In college I thought it was all about the engine I could swap into the rig and the beefiest axles I could find in a junkyard and the tallest tires. Out of college I thought it was all about ditching the rig and getting there with my own two feet(still is sometimes to me). Now(into my forties) i think its all about how much I can get my wife to tolerate and how comfortable I can make her as well as testing the limits of just how far out into the boonies I can get her. Gear is gear. It changes with technology and fads. I, currently, stick to as little as possible that I can bring without sacrificing too much comfort. The most important part of the equation is your brain and just how you use it to keep you and your loved ones safe but adventurous.
You just told my life story almost verbatim! :openmouth:

Reactions: Anders0nic