Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We actually just bought a new tent this year, two really, after using one we found in a rental house my parents have. The tent we found died last year in a wind storm in the front yard while trying to dry it out after a trip. I've got a couple different Coleman stoves now and the wife and I are working on our trail chef status, but for years we've done sandwiches or hotdogs over the fire or even fast food picked up on the way to camp.

Start out cheap and make sure this is what you want to be doing! Craigslist and yard sales are great places to pickup gear! First and foremost, go have a good time!

Username Not Found

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oceanside, CA
Member #

I also think sometimes we get too hung up on the tech and forget to just take off once in a while WITHOUT a map OR a plan.

Like we used too.......
Maybe it's the years of adventure guiding in me, or just a personality trait, but I can't go anywhere without a plan. If the plan changes, I'm down for the adventure, but I always have a rough idea on where I am and where I'm going. I agree that we go a little overboard in this day and age with tech, but a solid plan can be the difference between going home or having a search party looking for you.

Reactions: LuxuryOverland

Dan & Jen Nevada

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the Road...
Member #

My youngest son is about to start traveling in his 1977 Ford Econoline...yes, shag carpet everywhere, dark stain wood cabinets and a map of Middle Earth inlaid on a cabinet door :sunglasses:. He's getting most of his stuff from his grandpa and some from us. Nothing fancy. Just old camping gear my dad can't use anymore. He's hardly spending anything. He's got about $4000 in the bank. He's got no real plan, no income but he's living the dream while he doesn't have the trappings of adulthood holding him back.

We're doing the same thing next winter but in a Class A motorhome :wink:. But I used to camp out of an cheap tent, sleep under the blankets I pulled off my bed, and kept all my modest gear in a big cardboard box. Best camping trips ever! The gear is secondary. The wife and I don't camp anymore...we're old and soft:yum:. But we get out an in the Jeep and explore, we go hiking, etc. Getting out and enjoying the outdoors is what matters.

BTW, we're buying our son a OB membership before he leaves. :wink:

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

My youngest son is about to start traveling in his 1977 Ford Econoline...yes, shag carpet everywhere, dark stain wood cabinets and a map of Middle Earth inlaid on a cabinet door :sunglasses:. He's getting most of his stuff from his grandpa and some from us. Nothing fancy. Just old camping gear my dad can't use anymore. He's hardly spending anything. He's got about $4000 in the bank. He's got no real plan, no income but he's living the dream while he doesn't have the trappings of adulthood holding him back.
He'll remember this adventure for the rest of his life.

Dan & Jen Nevada

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the Road...
Member #

Yes, he will. I had a job and truck payment before I knew what I was doing when I was his age. We've told our kids to do this stuff before they get entangled in adulthood and all it's trappings. It's easy to chuck it all when you have nothing to chuck. Not so easy to extricate yourself from relationships, kids, mortgages, etc.