Launch Member

Traveler III

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

I picked up a good condition used 4x6 utility trailer for $100 and turned it into a camping trailer to put my RTT on. Started with cutting off factory fenders, flipping the axle, and building the rack.

Attachments

jeepman

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

Even with tent on it I can’t even tell it’s behind the 4runner. Way lighter than our pop up camper.

Attachments

Robert Fullen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kerrville, Tx
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fullen
Member #

Service Branch
None
My rack for my tent is like yours so I took it to a shop that does boat covers and they built my cover. Doubled the useful space , keeps everything dry and keep it from disappearing. It zips on the corners snd rolls up !

Attachments

jeepman

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

I have added a battery set up, water tank and pump, and a diesel tent heater for cold weather camping. Its coming along nicely. My wife bought me a camp griddle for Christmas and as soon as I get a fridge I will make a slide out and covers for them.

Attachments

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

They are out there. Just don’t get in a hurry.
I'm in no hurry. Been keeping an eye out but I don't have a place to put it right now either ( living in temperary housing) and only 1 of 3 of our vehicles has trailer wiring. I have wiring for my compass but still.nees to install it, and my TJ sits a little high for most trailers and I still need to buy my own drop bitch because I used to borrow one from my old job all the time lol.

Purpony

Rank I

Member I

CT
First Name
Marc
Last Name
C
Member #

i have the same 4x6 trailer that i also picked up for $100. I just started working on and doing something similar. How stable is the trailer on the highway with the tent up that high? Any sway?

looks great! What size tires?

Reactions: boogiedynamite

jeepman

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

i have the same 4x6 trailer that i also picked up for $100. I just started working on and doing something similar. How stable is the trailer on the highway with the tent up that high? Any sway?

looks great! What size tires?
Thanks! I still have more to do to it. I just drove to Oxford Al and back with no issues. I also ran 600-1 and 600-2 in the Talladega National Forest pulling the trailer. The tires are 30".

pa10spro

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

PA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

I picked up a good condition used 4x6 utility trailer for $100 and turned it into a camping trailer to put my RTT on. Started with cutting off factory fenders, flipping the axle, and building the rack.
Hey. I am doing a similar build. Did u swap to a different axle? I am looking at timberlen axle less set up. Any advise after your project?

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I kept the original axle for now. Going to see how it does before changing it further.
Hey there, I had a couple of questions about your build as I think I'm about to do the same thing.
1) What all did you do to fit larger wheels and tires? Flipped the axle and... any wheel spacers, lug pattern changes, etc.
2) How has it held up? I read one of MOAK's comments here and elsewhere of the failures he had but was curious if you've noticed any weak points.
3) How's the stability of the trailer with the tent unfolded? Any tipping worries? Any need for stabilizers in the corners?
4) Lastly, overall, do you recommend this idea or would you not repeat it?

Thanks!

jeepman

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

Hey there, I had a couple of questions about your build as I think I'm about to do the same thing.
1) What all did you do to fit larger wheels and tires? Flipped the axle and... any wheel spacers, lug pattern changes, etc.
2) How has it held up? I read one of MOAK's comments here and elsewhere of the failures he had but was curious if you've noticed any weak points.
3) How's the stability of the trailer with the tent unfolded? Any tipping worries? Any need for stabilizers in the corners?

Thanks!
I kept the original axle for now. Going to see how it does before changing it further.

Thanks!

Thanks!
I have not had any issues with the trailer so far. I use the tent mostly with the trailer still hooked to the vehicle and have had no stability issues. I would recommend stabilizing the trailer for use unhooked. I have not had a problem but could see situations where I could. I have run Imogene pass, Cinnamon Pass, Hurricane creek, and American Basin pulling this trailer. I would absolutely do it again. I can’t say why others have issues but properly built it will last almost anything.

Attachments

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I have not had any issues with the trailer so far. I use the tent mostly with the trailer still hooked to the vehicle and have had no stability issues. I would recommend stabilizing the trailer for use unhooked. I have not had a problem but could see situations where I could. I have run Imogene pass, Cinnamon Pass, Hurricane creek, and American Basin pulling this trailer. I would absolutely do it again. I can’t say why others have issues but properly built it will last almost anything.
Thanks for the update! Ironically, we're building it up for a trip to Colorado this summer to do Imogene and Alpine loop.

boogiedynamite

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Paducah, KY
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Klepeis
Member #

I’ve recently acquired a utility trailer myself, however it’s a tilt trailer. I don’t know if this will be a long term solution for my RTT and overlanding accessories but just wanted to see what you thought of there being any potential issues with using a tilt trailer as an initial build?

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

One more question, what size wheel spacers did you have to use to account for the backspacing?

jeepman

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

One more question, what size wheel spacers did you have to use to account for the backspacing?
I used 3” spacers to clear the factory jeep wheels. If you used aftermarket wheels you could probably use 2.5”

Reactions: AggieOE