Cheap utility trailer build

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

jeepman

Rank I

Contributor II

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

I picked up a good condition used 4x6 utility trailer for $100 and turned it into a camping trailer to put my RTT on. Started with cutting off factory fenders, flipping the axle, and building the rack.

Attachments

MOAK

Rank V

Traveler III

Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

I started with the same trailer and after 10 years it is being rebuilt. The frame had cracked, as I knew it would. We cut the spring hangers off and welded in a 2x2 subframe.

Advocate II

Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

They are out there. Just don’t get in a hurry.
I'm in no hurry. Been keeping an eye out but I don't have a place to put it right now either ( living in temperary housing) and only 1 of 3 of our vehicles has trailer wiring. I have wiring for my compass but still.nees to install it, and my TJ sits a little high for most trailers and I still need to buy my own drop bitch because I used to borrow one from my old job all the time lol.

Purpony

Rank 0

Contributor I

CT
First Name
Marc
Last Name
C
i have the same 4x6 trailer that i also picked up for $100. I just started working on and doing something similar. How stable is the trailer on the highway with the tent up that high? Any sway?

looks great! What size tires?

jeepman

Rank I

Contributor II

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

i have the same 4x6 trailer that i also picked up for $100. I just started working on and doing something similar. How stable is the trailer on the highway with the tent up that high? Any sway?

looks great! What size tires?
Thanks! I still have more to do to it. I just drove to Oxford Al and back with no issues. I also ran 600-1 and 600-2 in the Talladega National Forest pulling the trailer. The tires are 30".

pa10spro

Rank 0

Contributor I

PA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Townsend
I picked up a good condition used 4x6 utility trailer for $100 and turned it into a camping trailer to put my RTT on. Started with cutting off factory fenders, flipping the axle, and building the rack.
Hey. I am doing a similar build. Did u swap to a different axle? I am looking at timberlen axle less set up. Any advise after your project?