Chainsaws

• HTML tutorial

Moose.and.Me

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Playa Del Rey, CA
Member #

I'm currently thinking about adding a chainsaw to my list of gear I take with me overlanding. I'm curious though about the rechargeable type. Having a 4Runner with a outlet to recharge it on, does this make it a better choice? Not having to carry fuel for it might be a plus. Anyone have any experience with this type while overlanding?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

SGpdx

Rank III

Contributor III

Oregon
I always roll with a chainsaw if I am going anywhere off the main roads. I am a gas saw guy for a few reasons. I can work on it if it doesnt work, no wait time when its empty and there is just something cool about the noise of a chainsaw lol . We had to use it elk hunting just last week to get down the trail we were on. Plus if you need firewood or stuff to make tracks when stuck a saw will save a TON of headache.

Reactions: Wide Five Aaron

Moose.and.Me

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Playa Del Rey, CA
Member #

Thanks for the feedback. You make some good points, especially about not having to wait for it to recharge.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Wide Five Aaron

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Litchfield, OH
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Badertscher
Member #

...and there is just something cool about the noise of a chainsaw lol...
Yes, yes, yes. I've been trying to talk myself into a DeWalt electric since I've already got a lot of batteries, but just can't get past how emasculating it would be to use an electric chainsaw.

Reactions: SGpdx

Dakeg218

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I don’t carry a chainsaw anymore. I just never had enough use for it. I do carry a battery powered sawzal with a 14” limbing blade and a metal cutting blade. I found I have had way more use for cutting away bent metal and trimming small trees than cutting through a 20”+ tree in my path.

Reactions: Wide Five Aaron

tanner sheltry

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chickasha Oklahoma
Member #

I carry a stihl ms170 most of the time. It's pretty small and light so it doesn't take up a ton of space. Can be had for under $200 at pretty much any stihl dealer also. If I think I'll need it and have the room I'll break out my stihl 041av with a 20" bar. Is overkill for most stuff in my area though

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I have the DeWalt Electric chainsaw and a pair of batteries. The power is there.... it works really well. I actually enjoy it being quiet and hearing nothing but the chain running. As for waiting for it to recharge, well, if I have killed 2 batteries and still need more... my arms are dead and Im turning around anyway. (Not to mention that one will fully recharge before I can kill the second). They are very light and you dont need to store gas and 2 stroke oil in/on your rig as well. They also dont have a carb.... for people that travel higher in elevation, that means it starts and runs everytime without tuning and adjusting.

If I ran a saw everyday or for a living, I for sure would go gas.... but for occasional use and emergency purposes in a vehicle electric is the way to go.

Goldmarble

Rank 0

Traveler I

I plan on getting a Silky Katanaboy 650 folding "hand" saw myself. My vehicle is very space and weight limited, so devoting space and weight to a chainsaw and it's accompanying gear is utterly impractical for me.
Besides that? It requires far less maintenance than either kind of chainsaw.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
I keep a Sthil with me when I go off the beaten path. I used to just carry an axe, but when I ran in to 3 trees in a row one day, I started carrying the chainsaw as well.

I have limited experience with a Kobalt electric chainsaw and it worked just fine, but it was awfully annoying when the battery got low and then quit.

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
I have a Homelite XL with a 12 inch bar. Its what we call a limbing saw. Very small saw and with one wrench I can remove the bar to make it even more compact. Picked it up at a yard sale for $10.homelite xl.jpg

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I am leaning toward carrying a battery powered sawzall mostly because it can be used for multiple purposes, storage space is always a problem so getting more than one use from an item is important to me. It may be a hassle to recharge a battery but it can be done.

Im a big advocate of gas powered chain saws this comes from many years of fighting wildland fires and teaching chain saw classes. If you are going to use a gas powered saw on federal or state land know the laws/regulations before you go they different depending on the location.

Overlanding has drawn lots of people to the back county that have never used a chainsaw, so my advice to those people that are new to this sport and the woods is to get some sort of training! Don't be that person who buys a saw and the flannel shirt and has know idea what to do with it.

When we work on our adopted trail in the El Dorado National Forest next spring we will be required to have a chainsaw class that the forest will put on for us. (S-212)

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I've carried a Ryobi drill and inflator in my rig for a while. I just (last week) decided to pick up their little 10" chain saw that takes the same battery. I already had the 12 volt charger and 2 batteries so for me even if I run the battery dead on the saw there is no waiting around. I can just grab one of my extras while the dead one charges. The 12 volt charge also seems to charge the batteries insanely fast.

I don't expect to do any logging with this saw but I do expect it to be a nice addition for cutting up wood for the campfire.

-Curtiss

vwjay

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Another thing to consider at least with 12V saws and tools. Is that you can make up an adapter out of an old battery and power them straight front your vehicles battery or AUX battery. The military actually did this with some of their field maintenance trucks and used dedicated 24V electric tools that ran off the vehicle batteries. It adds a cord to the equation which is not ideal but gives you an almost infinite power source. I plan to do this at least with an old 12V drill I have that I can no longer get batteries for.