Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
Had a great workshop this past Sunday! 12 people showed up, along with 7 kids I believe, they were runnning around and having a good time, I can't remember how many were actually there. Lol.

Either way, it was the biggest meet up yet! If we have another with this many people, we may have to look for another site to fit everyone! Which is exciting!

I have been approached by someone about adopting a trail, so I am really hoping we continue to grow and have regulars and people who enjoy taking care of our trails as much as they enjoy pizza!

I will be looking around for a topic for our next meet up, and with February ending, and me taking my kids to school without a jacket, we need to get our first trip on the books!

Here are some pictures from the meet this weekend. A big thanks to Tyler Lausrsen from Morrflate for donating the tire repair kit featuring Colby Valve and Glue Tree! It was e a big part of a successful demonstration!

Linked above is the exact kit that we featured and used if you were there and saw what we used. There are smaller kits with less items, but this is the same kit that I keep in my truck at all times.

I would also like to thank @Mark E for bringing his spare tire for use to use during the demonstration. There were tire plugs in it from a Mojave Road trip almost 3 year ago, and it was still holding air when Mark drove his drill through it!

IMG_2925.jpegIMG_2926.jpegIMG_2927.jpegIMG_2928.jpegIMG_2930.jpegIMG_2932.jpegIMG_2935.jpegIMG_2936.jpegIMG_2939.jpegIMG_2942.jpegIMG_2944.jpegIMG_2946.jpegIMG_2948.jpegIMG_2950.jpegIMG_2954.jpegIMG_2956.jpegIMG_2959.jpegIMG_2961.jpegIMG_2962.jpegIMG_2964.jpegIMG_2965.jpegIMG_0744.JPGIMG_0746.JPG

Last edited:

BettyWhiteOneSeven

Rank VI
Launch Member

Contributor III

Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
Greetings from Omaha Nebraska! I have been traveling for work and should be back this Saturday, just in time for our meeting!

Date:
March 19th, 2023

Mountain Mike’s 3601 Pelandale Ave Modesto CA 95356

Time:
1300hrs -1500hrs PST

1300-1400hrs: social hour, get some pizza, check out each others' rigs, get some introductions on!
1400-1500hrs: the more official meeting where we will discuss topics and share ideas!

Presentations:
We will be going over some of the basics of the Gaia Maps application. This will be Apple product based, as that's all I have, but I believe the app works pretty much the same on all platforms.

Future education and trainings:
Bring suggestions for any kind of training you would like to see.

Trip planning and reports:
We will be planning out first trip at this event. I was originally going to plant trip to an old fire tower, but apparently Italian Bar Road is inaccessible. We will look at alternative areas this meeting.

See everyone there!

Reactions: SJ Dave

BettyWhiteOneSeven

Rank VI
Launch Member

Contributor III

Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
Greetings from Omaha Nebraska! I have been traveling for work and should be back this Saturday, just in time for our meeting!

Date:
March 19th, 2023

Time:
1300hrs -1500hrs PST

1300-1400hrs: social hour, get some pizza, check out each others' rigs, get some introductions on!
1400-1500hrs: the more official meeting where we will discuss topics and share ideas!

Presentations:
We will be going over some of the basics of the Gaia Maps application. This will be Apple product based, as that's all I have, but I believe the app works pretty much the same on all platforms.

Bring suggestions for any kind of training you would like to see.

We will be planning out first trip at this event. I was originally going to plant trip to an old fire tower, but apparently Italian Bar Road is inaccessible. We will look at alternative areas this meeting.

See everyone there!
I'm going to be adding how to create a Rally Point to the agenda. Looks like it should be raining during the meeting so I'm going to try my best to get as much content indoor as I can for you guys.

BettyWhiteOneSeven

Rank VI
Launch Member

Contributor III

Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
Small turnout today, but very informative. We busted out our first aid kits and saw what each of us had.

We got to see the over packed bag I brought, and the more appropriately packed bags the others brought! We all learned some new things and have ideas to improve what we bring in our first aid kits! And even with everything I have in my bag, I found a few more things I am going to add!

--------------------------------

Talked about the upcoming trip next weekend, we're excited for that! It'll be my fire dirt trail run I've done in a long time! Excited to bring everyone along on the road that started my love for overlanding!

Attachments

BettyWhiteOneSeven

Rank VI
Launch Member

Contributor III

Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
Date:
May 21st, 2023

Time:
1300hrs -1500hrs PST

Presentations:
This will be a bring-something-new-to-you day. Bring your hi-lift, jack, bring your soft shackles, bring your first aid kits, bring your new CA compliant gas tank, bring your spare tire and a jack, bring your ham radio (mobile/portable), bring your new roof top tent, bring your new tire deflator kits and let's play with it!

If you've never used it, or not used it as much as you wish you have, bring it and either I, or something at the meting will know how to use it. If not, we have the power of all the information in the world at our finger tips to look it up!

Bring suggestions for any kind of training you would like to see. I'm literally just thinking of stuff to bring a quality meeting to you guys and I could use some ideas or some presenters to talk about new things.

We will talk about any recent trips we have and take any suggestions for ideas for trips. I need some volunteers to head some possible future trips, I'd love to go as much as I can, but work availability leaves me limited to overnighters, but I have lots of GPX files and track available for planning! I do have a trip lined up for June for us! Stay tuned for that!

See everyone there!

Last edited:

Jeep n Joe

Rank V

Advocate III

Stanislaus County, California, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Vona
Member #

First Rally Point is up! Day trip from Briceberg to Groveland!

Anyone record a track and want to share it with me? I'm heading up with the family on Sunday. I wish I could've went with you all but it was our son's last baseball game and closing ceremony.

BettyWhiteOneSeven

Rank VI
Launch Member

Contributor III

Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
Hello everyone. With great displeasure, I am going to have to cancel this meetup for the foreseeable future. I just got a new job and my Sunday's are not going to be as available as they once were. I want to thank the regulars who showed and the new comers that had come and gone. I will also be focusing my energy on trails instead of meetups at a pizza places to there's that to look forward to!

Thank you again to all who came, I always had a good time. And a big thank you to Morrflate, GluTread, and Overland Bound itself for donating things to try to help make these meet ups more interesting.

Take care all. See you out on the trail some time. Don't hesitate to say hi!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Any chance someone will step up and take over this meet up?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Any update about the meetups?
No one has stepped up to start this one up again. If there is anyone that might be interested in taking over I can help them get it going again.
Just message me @Kent R and we can get it going.

SJ Dave

Rank IV

Explorer I

Modesto, Stanislaus County, California, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Freitas
Member #

Any update about the meetups?
No one has stepped up to start this one up again. If there is anyone that might be interested in taking over I can help them get it going again.
Just message me @Kent R and we can get it going.
Awesome. I’ll see if I’m able to do it monthly

Reactions: Kent R

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Awesome. I’ll see if I’m able to do it monthly
I will DM
If SJ Dave can't do the meeting. I'll hold one on march 17th in Fresno. I have meetings and speaking engagement that are keeping me busy till then. I'll see who will come and help get anyone that wants to carry it on. If Dave can let me know if he can, if not, then I'll post post the Rally point.

Reactions: Kent R