Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

oh for sure...i'm still finding sand from Labor Day haha. But it would be awesome with a big group
I'm not a beach person either, but I'd really like to do some fishing. I'll probably bring the kayak this time... unless anyone is coming from the upstate, has a tow capacity of around 8200 lbs, and willing to pull the Miss Mildred down there we can do some serious fishing.

Reactions: JButtress

RPDjeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clayton, NC
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Foran
Member #

Thinking about trips for 2020, I thought it would be fun to have a big group head out to the Outer Banks. What are everyone's thoughts on a trip to the Outer Banks? I was thinking Memorial Weekend, to get the extra day off of work. Memorial Day is Monday, May 25, 2020. My thought would be a Thursday to Sunday or Friday to Monday trip.

If there there is interest, I can speak with the ferry service and see if we could do a group reservation, with group pricing to save a little money. The ferry can only take 4 vehicles max at a time, so I would need to plan for arrival times based on how many people sign up so people aren't sitting at the dock for hours.

Let me know you're interest and ideas and we can talk further. Thanks
I would be interested in a OBX trip

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I was out on Hatteras and Ocracoke mid-October 2018 when they allow driving on most all the beaches up there. It was much fun for me as I had always wanted to go there. Thousands of fishermen and about three women. Caught some fish too but spent lot of time looking around and talking to all the fishermen. Sounds like ya'll are talking about the Cape Lookout area? I have a RTT now so things aren't so complicated. Wouldn't mind doing a little surf fishing again. I have a boat but don't know the waters and dragging a boat that far gets complicated...and aspensive.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I was out on Hatteras and Ocracoke mid-October 2018 when they allow driving on most all the beaches up there. It was much fun for me as I had always wanted to go there. Thousands of fishermen and about three women. Caught some fish too but spent lot of time looking around and talking to all the fishermen. Sounds like ya'll are talking about the Cape Lookout area? I have a RTT now so things aren't so complicated. Wouldn't mind doing a little surf fishing again. I have a boat but don't know the waters and dragging a boat that far gets complicated...and aspensive.
I feel you on dragging a boat all the way down there. I have a shallow water flats skiff that isn't so bad to drag with me, but the shoals can stir up some rougher water than I'm comfortable with in that boat. I've been out there plenty before in my bigger boat that has forward, down, and side-scan sonar with constantly updated charts that keep me from getting into any trouble but I'm probably not even going to worry about it. If I go it will only be for 2 nights at the most and isn't worth the effort of getting a hauler to move it down there for me. You know what they say though: "If you ain't been aground, then you ain't been around."

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I might be in for a trip to the OBX. Have to see how the schedule works out. What's the weather and water going to be like that time of year? I was in Avon once in early June and it was NOT swimming weather.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I might be in for a trip to the OBX. Have to see how the schedule works out. What's the weather and water going to be like that time of year? I was in Avon once in early June and it was NOT swimming weather.
You'd be about crazy to swim off Cape Lookout. It is very sharky.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Well my first trip to OBX was Labor Day weekend this year. It was warm/hot but breezy and the water was warm. I'm not sure what the weather will be like in May, but I'd imagine similar but i'm not positive

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I feel you on dragging a boat all the way down there. I have a shallow water flats skiff that isn't so bad to drag with me, but the shoals can stir up some rougher water than I'm comfortable with in that boat. I've been out there plenty before in my bigger boat that has forward, down, and side-scan sonar with constantly updated charts that keep me from getting into any trouble but I'm probably not even going to worry about it. If I go it will only be for 2 nights at the most and isn't worth the effort of getting a hauler to move it down there for me. You know what they say though: "If you ain't been aground, then you ain't been around."
Sounds like a nice boat! I have 21' CC with some electronics but not like yours. Pretty shallow draft w/Yamaha 150. Probably good for that area. Planning on spending some serious time there in the future. I would bring it down since you have knowledge of the area but two days is a pretty small window. Where is it ya'll go? What's the closest marina?

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Understood. Kinda knocks down the fun factor for me then. We're not the fishing types so with swimming eliminated, that's just sitting on sand and drinking beer.
There is a small area where you'd be alright to swim within reason on the leeward side of the island, right behind the lighthouse. It's a tiny little natural bay that everyone who boats out there anchors into. There is also a small passenger ferry that docks there. You'd probably be alright swimming in there because the boats coming and going would be significant enough to keep the herring and mullet from schooling there which would keep the predators away. The rest of the water up against the island is either filled with big bitey fish, jellyfish washing out of the gulf stream or pluff mud. The Outer Banks is a beautiful place and it is worth the trip. But as wonderful as it is, it is equally as wild. The shoals and currents make it dangerous and unfeasible for large commercial fishing boats to be close to the islands. It is a mecca for sport fishing, but it isn't a place to run nets or even large boats. It got the moniker of being the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" for a reason.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
There is a small area where you'd be alright to swim within reason on the leeward side of the island, right behind the lighthouse. It's a tiny little natural bay that everyone who boats out there anchors into. There is also a small passenger ferry that docks there. You'd probably be alright swimming in there because the boats coming and going would be significant enough to keep the herring and mullet from schooling there which would keep the predators away. The rest of the water up against the island is either filled with big bitey fish, jellyfish washing out of the gulf stream or pluff mud. The Outer Banks is a beautiful place and it is worth the trip. But as wonderful as it is, it is equally as wild. The shoals and currents make it dangerous and unfeasible for large commercial fishing boats to be close to the islands. It is a mecca for sport fishing, but it isn't a place to run nets or even large boats. It got the moniker of being the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" for a reason.
It might be ok for a one night stay for us then. Maybe a couple nights if it was just me and I didn't have to listen to the kids whine about being bored and so close to the water but unable to swim.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Sounds like a nice boat! I have 21' CC with some electronics but not like yours. Pretty shallow draft w/Yamaha 150. Probably good for that area. Planning on spending some serious time there in the future. I would bring it down since you have knowledge of the area but two days is a pretty small window. Where is it ya'll go? What's the closest marina?
Cape Lookout is the destination but you'd want to use Cape Pointe marina on Harkers Island to launch. It's protected in the sound so you don't have to worry about the big water and gulf stream wash. There are still a few shoals and tricky currents around the straits, but it is easy enough to learn. It's kinda like learning to navigate a river (but with tides and waves), you just have to learn how to read the water. I learned out there from my dad way before electronics.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Cape Lookout is the destination but you'd want to use Cape Pointe marina on Harkers Island to launch. It's protected in the sound so you don't have to worry about the big water and gulf stream wash. There are still a few shoals and tricky currents around the straits, but it is easy enough to learn. It's kinda like learning to navigate a river (but with tides and waves), you just have to learn how to read the water. I learned out there from my dad way before electronics.
Way before electronics! You might be as old as me! Well, there is plenty of time for planning. I'm happy anytime I have a line in the water. Hope to get down to Charleston-Edisto-Beaufort area next week or so.