Launch Member

Influencer II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
D
Member #

What are you using for wiring/switching?
I have an Spod mounted under the hood. I purchased one of the jeep specific kits that mounts the switch panel above the rear view mirror. Super clean and simple to use, especially if you dont know too much about electricity. I believe Spod makes a more universal kit but dont quote me on that.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I have an Spod mounted under the hood. I purchased one of the jeep specific kits that mounts the switch panel above the rear view mirror. Super clean and simple to use, especially if you dont know too much about electricity. I believe Spod makes a more universal kit but dont quote me on that.
They do make a universal kit with the availability of up to 8 switches. If you were to get the LCD screen option for the switches, you can daisy chain up to 4 of the modules to make 32 switches...not sure anyone needs that much though haha. I'm keeping an eye on the LCD for black friday

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

The Spod kits are SOOOOO expensive. Obviously, they don't make one for a Subaru - so I'd have to use one of the RAM mounts. I am definitely going to get someone else to do the wiring though. I want to get my roof lights rewired and I want to replace the forward lights on my basket with some Hella 500's with the yellow lenses and grills to match the lights on my bull bar. I want switch 1 for forward facing roof lights, switch 2 for left side roof lights, switch 3 for right side roof lights, switch 4 for rear facing roof lights and switch 5 for some rock lights underneath. Switch 6 is TBD - but probably going to use it for a power inverter in the trunk.

Reactions: JButtress

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

The Spod kits are SOOOOO expensive. Obviously, they don't make one for a Subaru - so I'd have to use one of the RAM mounts. I am definitely going to get someone else to do the wiring though. I want to get my roof lights rewired and I want to replace the forward lights on my basket with some Hella 500's with the yellow lenses and grills to match the lights on my bull bar. I want switch 1 for forward facing roof lights, switch 2 for left side roof lights, switch 3 for right side roof lights, switch 4 for rear facing roof lights and switch 5 for some rock lights underneath. Switch 6 is TBD - but probably going to use it for a power inverter in the trunk.
They are super expensive, but they make it easy, to the point I could even do it myself, its clean looking and its top of the line. I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for sometimes, and this isn't something I want to skimp on

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

Apdski

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
D
Member #

I agree with you that they are expensive, but they are made in America and the customer service is excellent. Any question I've asked over the 4 years of having the Spod was usually answered within a day or less. I once thought I had an issue with parasitic draw on my battery and the Spod tech walked me through testing different things under the hood and on the Spod to diagnose the issue. (Turned out to be just an old dead battery). I cant speak for other systems or manufacturers but I have nothing but good to say about my experience with Spod.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

They are super expensive, but they make it easy, to the point I could even do it myself, its clean looking and its top of the line. I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for sometimes, and this isn't something I want to skimp on
Yeah... I'm going to spend it to get the solid quality. I still won't be able to wire it myself. The lights on the basket have to be connected in and then the rock lights have to be wired up the frame and then up into the engine bay. The low-slung, boxer engine, headers, and dual exhaust means the wires have to be ran right through some high temperature areas.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Yeah... I'm going to spend it to get the solid quality. I still won't be able to wire it myself. The lights on the basket have to be connected in and then the rock lights have to be wired up the frame and then up into the engine bay. The low-slung, boxer engine, headers, and dual exhaust means the wires have to be ran right through some high temperature areas.
Reach out to my buddy Tyler with Queen City Overland, he loves doing that stuff

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Agreed. And it's just so nice that the only thing you have to run through your firewall to the interior of your vehicle is the cable for the controller. All the actual accessory wiring stays in the engine compartment. With a home-spun fuse block and rocker switches arrangement, you'd have wires going through the firewall for every single switch.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
They do make a universal kit with the availability of up to 8 switches. If you were to get the LCD screen option for the switches, you can daisy chain up to 4 of the modules to make 32 switches...not sure anyone needs that much though haha. I'm keeping an eye on the LCD for black friday
Only 32, eh? Hmmm, it's a start...

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Agreed. And it's just so nice that the only thing you have to run through your firewall to the interior of your vehicle is the cable for the controller. All the actual accessory wiring stays in the engine compartment. With a home-spun fuse block and rocker switches arrangement, you'd have wires going through the firewall for every single switch.
The hard part for my car is to run the wires up the windshield gutter to power the lights on top.

Apdski

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
D
Member #

Yeah.... no... not doing that. Not doing that at all.
In all seriousness though, it would require more wiring, but could you potentially chase the wire up the b or c pillars? or maybe go from the engine bay along the frame under the vehicle and then chase it up the tailgate or trunk seal

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

In all seriousness though, it would require more wiring, but could you potentially chase the wire up the b or c pillars? or maybe go from the engine bay along the frame under the vehicle and then chase it up the tailgate or trunk seal
Yeah... that is why I need to outsource the electrics. Most of the underside of my car is covered by skid plates or plastic cladding. The only thing that isn't is the exhaust.