Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

That looks like fun... I'd love to do that.
I wonder how much fuel that would take? And what the distance between fuel would be...

Reactions: tinyOVERLANDER

tinyOVERLANDER

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Member #

That looks like fun... I'd love to do that.
I wonder how much fuel that would take? And what the distance between fuel would be...
It is roughly 440 from the start of the Dempster to Inuvik. There is a gas station at the start of the Dempster. At about 220 miles there is gas at Eagle Plains, Yukon. There is also gas at Fort McPherson, NW which is about 330 miles from the start of the Dempster. Total miles to Inuvik, NW is about 440. Inuvik, NW to Tuktoyaktuk, NW on the ice road is or was about 110 miles or so. Current price of gas is somewhere around $4.60 a gallon ($1.22/Liter).

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Heading up there in August of 2018 and was just going to go to Eagle Plains, maybe a little farther, but this changes thigs for me. Might have to adjust the schedule and ending point.

RMEWanderer

Rank 0

Traveler I

Horseshoe Valley, Ontario
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Bachmann
I did this run to Inuvik about 15 years ago in a doge shadow. Beautiful scenery. Make sure your spare(s) tire is in good shape the big gravel road just shreds tires. Eagle plains has a tire shop but limited stock.

ilatak

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Calgary, AB
Member #

I did Dempster HWY in July 2017 and it is great drive. Ended up going up in one day to Innuvik. After talking to locals, the road is already complete but not officially opened yet. Basically they told us that people are driving it already, which pisses Tuk folks off as it shouldn't be open yet. Official story that they are putting up signs on the new road but they are basically waiting to see if the road sags over time. We decided not to take it until it opens, which gives us a reason to come back:)

On a side note I have talked to folks at Innuvik about taking a tour of Tuk in a plane and they wanted 800$ CDN for one person. Crazy if you ask me as they are about to go out of business with new road opening up

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YttSpYDJHO12Rnxq2

RMEWanderer

Rank 0

Traveler I

Horseshoe Valley, Ontario
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Bachmann
$800 does seem extremely steep. On the other hand when I drove up from Vancouver I watched the prices daily for food (Green Peppers) specifically to see the mark up. In Van they were $1.99/lb in Inuvik they were $10.99/lb. Everything food, fuel, lumber etc has to be flown or driven up from Dawson or Whitehorse, 1000km south. Gas was almost $.50 more per liter than in Van.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We are headed north to the Arctic next summer. We've been planning this for a good year now, and specifically planned for next summer so that we could (hopefully) drive the new highway up to Tuk.

Zuk4Life

Rank I

Contributor II

Will be heading up to Tuk the end of next summer as well, convoying with a Zuk and a Landrover. Looks like we may see a few of you on the way! Say hi if you see us! :)

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Will be heading up to Tuk the end of next summer as well, convoying with a Zuk and a Landrover. Looks like we may see a few of you on the way! Say hi if you see us! :)
We are heading up in July. I have the Milepost sitting on my coffee table and I've been reading through it every other day. Checking out route options along the way. Definitely taking the Cassiar Hwy northbound, with a detour to see the Salmon Glacier. I've been looking at this Campbell Hwy and the Lower Canol Rd as options on the way back south as well. Not 100% sure of the exact route, we will leave some of it to chance, how we feel as we progress, and how time permits.

Reactions: Zuk4Life

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

The guy who organized the BC Overland Rally was the first to drive this highway with his buddy before it was even open. Awesome guy. He gave an outstanding story hour fireside talk about their journey on one of the evenings. Sounds like a spectacular trip. Best of luck to anyone who gets to go!

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

We did it last summer as part of a cross Canada trip. It was an awesome trip. We liked it so much, especially the Yukon, we sold our farm, bought a house online and we moved to the Yukon Territory from Ontario in November.
I’m editing a lot of footage and will upload a movie to YouTube about the whole trip.
I will post a trip report next month. We’re just a little busy unpacking still.
If you got any question just ask.

Here are some pics.....

Driving through Tombstone area on the Dempster Hwy
23BBFE06-2F3F-404E-B4E6-F9B8583080AA.jpeg

Waiting for one of 2 ferry crossings.
7273A3DB-4509-456B-9E39-6146F1293F05.jpeg

Camping at Mt Robinson BC. Great facilities.
E3072D6A-5385-4E20-95B7-4915EC866B03.jpeg

Heading south on the Dempster
BDD40FE6-7895-4F66-BA4A-121934C92C32.jpeg

Us at the Start/End of Great Canadian Trail in Tuk
89651F3A-7040-4580-92D2-4AD95DDA5440.jpeg

Yes we made it!
B6AD293D-9963-428B-8CD2-BB474BE69A0A.jpeg