Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all, what regions make sense for Canada? In the US we have "West, Northeast, East, Southeast, etc. WHat regions are commonly recognized in Canada? We have "West" and "Ontario" which doesn't seem quite right.

M

Reactions: ManitobaOverland

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I would take the above and tweak it a bit....

Atlantic Provinces
Northern Territories
SE Ontario + Quebec
Manitoba + NW Ontario
Saskatchewan
Alberta
British Columbia

:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Last edited:
Reactions: Glenn

Virgil

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Atlantic Provinces
SE Ontario + Quebec
Manitoba + NW Ontario
Saskatchewan
Alberta
British Columbia

You are leaving out the northern territories and you essentially naming most of the provinces instead of regions. Maritimes, then Ontario and QC are gernerally referred to as Eastern Canada, the Prairies is everything west of Ontario until Alberta which is part of Western Canada. And the Northern Territories are self explanatory.

Reactions: Winterpeg

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Atlantic Provinces
SE Ontario + Quebec
Manitoba + NW Ontario
Saskatchewan
Alberta
British Columbia

As a Winnipeger, trapped in the middle, would you say Manitobans most identify with western Canada, or eastern? Just curious.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Good points above... I apologize to my northern neighbours and have modified my post accordingly.

In my opinion Manitoba and NW Ontario are close with regards to travel.... it's a big distance from the western edge of Ontario to the east. In Manitoba the biggest city (Winnipeg) is closest to Ontario and the majority go east (and some north) to camp, etc. due the number of lakes that way. The people in NW Ontario can check out the prairie section if they are close to it.

Manitoba is definitely a prairie province.

I can't speak for everyone but I and the people I associate with identify more with Western Canada.... not the east. I'm sure there are plenty of "city folk" that identify with GTA.

I don't consider Ontario to be Central Canada. The exact centre of Canada is Manitoba... a town called Landmark actually is the closest to the geographic centre.

I agree with lumping the Prairie Provinces into one as previously mentioned.... singling them out like I did isn't good for the reason stated above by @dblack and I withdraw my suggestion :innocent:

I gotta say, it's nice to see some conversation in here about Canada though :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses: Makes me think there's a future for OB here.

Reactions: dblack

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

So based on the input to date, maybe we could say:
Maritimes
Eastern Canada
Prairies
Western Canada
NWT/Nunavut/YK (or "Northern Territories" as suggested)

Obvious overlap with Maritimes being able to fall into Eastern Canada as well, but it gives them a bit of an individual identify. Same with AB being applicable to Prairies and Western Canada, but I don't think overlap is bad.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Virgil

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Ack, I hear what you are saying @Winterpeg however we can't base regions on popular trends of where some people go camping. I fully agree that Ontario is NOT the centre of the universe and there is no "central Canada" that's why that region is called The Prairies.
So in summary I think so far there is a general consensus to:

- Northern Territories
- Western Canada
- Prairies
- Eastern Canada
- Maritimes