Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Virgil Thanks for consolidating this. In the US (which BTW seems way more disorganized than Canada) we defaulted to a government agency mapping that was closest to what the community "felt" was right, but we still have the governmental agency mapping to fall back on. We cannot make everyone happy. How does you mapping above map to this:

The Regions of Canada
  • The Atlantic Provinces:
    • Newfoundland and Labrador
    • Prince Edward Island
    • Nova Scotia
    • New Brunswick
  • Central Canada:
    • Quebec
    • Ontario
  • The Prairie Provinces:
    • Manitoba
    • Saskatchewan
    • Alberta
  • The West Coast:
    • British Columbia
  • The Northern Territories:
    • Nunavut
    • Northwest Territories
    • Yukon Territory
Is it close?

Also, @15Canyon suggested:

• Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut: "Territories" Regional Patch (or maybe "The North")
  • British Colombia: "West Coast" Regional Patch
  • Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba: "Prairies" Regional Patch
  • Quebec, Ontario: "Central" Regional Patch
  • Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick: "Atlantic" Regional Patch
It seems we are close - I'm not sure what is considered "East" and what is considered "North".

M

Virgil

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

@Michael you are 100% correct with the above breakdown. And the patch breakdown as stated above also makes sense to me and I think that would cover Canada's regions very accurately.

FYI, afaik East is everything east of Quebec, and North is everything that's above the coast to coast provinces IMO.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael you are 100% correct with the above breakdown. And the patch breakdown as stated above also makes sense to me and I think that would cover Canada's regions very accurately.

FYI, afaik East is everything east of Quebec, and North is everything that's above the coast to coast provinces IMO.
Which version looks good?

Virgil

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Both are correct, but I think as far as breakdown goes what regions I like the second part better as suggested by 15 Canyon

Reactions: 15Canyon

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Both are correct, but I think as far as breakdown goes what regions I like the second part better as suggested by 15 Canyon
OK great, how about:
  • North - Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut
  • West - British Colombia
  • Prairies - Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba
  • Central - Quebec, Ontario
  • Atlantic - Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick
?

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

OK great, how about:
  • Atlantic - Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick
?
Not to toot my own horn, but I think that looks pretty darn good. ;)

ManitobaOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Manitoba
Is 'Canadian Shield' a concept that is at all useful here? I feel a part of that region as much as Prairies - which i totally like and am definitely a part of as well.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

Is 'Canadian Shield' a concept that is at all useful here? I feel a part of that region as much as Prairies - which i totally like and am definitely a part of as well.

In the same way people in Winnipeg typically drive 40 mins East to the Canadian Shield, Calgarians (myself included) typically drive 40 mins West to the Rocky Mountains. It does seem a bit crazy that we are in the same region when in fact we live a good 14 hours apart, but I suppose a line has to be drawn somewhere and typically people group the three predominantly prairie provinces together. If I saw the proposed list of forums, then I would naturally pick the Prairie region because that's what I'm used to doing for everything else.

I'm originally from Winnipeg btw, and I love the Canadian Shield. It's a special place!

Reactions: Winterpeg

ManitobaOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Manitoba
Yeah - I'd proudly rep both decals and check both areas. Shield is such an iconic - and HUGE area (like from here through Quebec?) - that I thought it worth mentioning. Maybe the badge for 'Central' features iconic shield outcropping.

Reactions: 15Canyon

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

OK great, how about:
?
Yes, keep it simple.

Reactions: Billiebob

Matt92101

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Temecula ,CA
Member #

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

On that note, thinking of doing a trip from Maine to Newfoundland, roughly one week. Been as far north as Lubec, Maine. Any ideas or suggestions from our Canadian brothers or anyone that's been up that way? Thanks! Matt
Probably best to start a thread i the trip planning section for that to get more exposure.

Reactions: Matt92101