Can you mount Alu-cab directly to roof without a rack?

• HTML tutorial

mrn3ff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Tennessee
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Neff
Ive got a 2016 Toyota 4Runner and have been looking at alternative sleeping options. Since we do quite a bit of kayaking we’ve always left the roof open to boats and slept inside the truck. This comes with its own pros and cons but have recently been tossing around the idea of alternative options due to the lack of seating inside the truck. It would be nice to open up at least a seat and with our current arrangement that’s not an available option.

It looks like the Alu-cab Gen3 Exepedition tent has gas struts capable of holding a load which might allow us to carry boats. This would allow me to have a secondary sleeping platform inside and leave room for a fair amount of storage (and dog).

Does anyone know if you can mount the Alu-cab tent directly to the roof without a rack reducing the center of gravity and overall height of the rig?

Thanks in advance,

-Michael

mrn3ff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Tennessee
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Neff
You would want to use something like this with 3 load bars. :smiley: Don't buy the whole rack, just get the backbone and use something like Yakima load bars.

I was hoping for something even slimmer than this.. by the time I add a cross bar I’m close to the same height as my current rack. Something similar to what this guy did with the FJ. Tested: Alu-Cab Expedition III RTT — Basil Lynch

Last edited:

mrn3ff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Tennessee
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Neff
The Alpha from The Bush Co. has a bit more roof capacity at 110 lbs for an unaided open. They have several different mounting options but one that came to mind is the Z-Rail. Z-Rails (2 in Set) | The Bush Company Australia

I think they are a bit better tent. I may be a bit bias though as I do have one.
That is a good looking tent and the Z-Rails could be an option. They are low profile at a little over an inch but since the 4runner doesn't have tracks I don't think they'll fit the contour of the roof... I just heard from the guy who had the FJ (in the link above) and he said he used 1/8" steel bent to fit the factory holes. Regardless of tent choice, I believe I'll have to go down the same path he did with the custom brackets to get the lowest profile.

You could fix it with some Unistrut channel and hardware.Channel Sections | Unistrut
This could work.. I would have to use small pieces that would basically give me 4 mounting points. I don't think I could run a bar to create a rail like system because of similar reasons mentioned above.

Thanks for sharing Dave and Lou