OB Approved Camping with Firearms

• HTML tutorial

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Great read, @Narbob! This is a conversation Michael and I have had off and on for years. I had a shooting lesson about 5 years ago, and I'm way overdue for a refresher course with an emphasis on safety. Since we have kiddos with us, the storage conversation is a biggie.

Thanks for the write up and share! :smiley:
Something everyone should do! I try to get to range a couple times each year to keep up skills, knowledge etc.

Something we went through in our family as kids under my fathers direction was learning to shoot - a .22 bolt action as it can't rapid fire and recoil is nearly non existent - to learn about safety, how it works and that GUNS ARE NOT TOYS. We learned they are tools for only very extreme situations. Bears and other animals in the forest don't like noise. Noise is a first deterrent. However, the extreme situation comes in if a bear or such is "well motivated" for coming after you. It can happen.

Reactions: T.Shack and Corrie

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Something everyone should do! I try to get to range a couple times each year to keep up skills, knowledge etc.

Something we went through in our family as kids under my fathers direction was learning to shoot - a .22 bolt action as it can't rapid fire and recoil is nearly non existent - to learn about safety, how it works and that GUNS ARE NOT TOYS. We learned they are tools for only very extreme situations. Bears and other animals in the forest don't like noise. Noise is a first deterrent. However, the extreme situation comes in if a bear or such is "well motivated" for coming after you. It can happen.
Yes, yes, yes. And mother of gawwwd. Don't get cocky (so to speak). Don't be in any situation where your child has access to ammunition AND fire arms, and has no education. Use common sense, and don't be paranoid. Train yourself to think in fight/flight situations... I could go on and on.

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Studies have shown that children who are taught to respect guns and what to do if they find one are far less likely to hurt themselves or others than kids with no exposure. Safe storage is a good thing with kids in the home, but education is a huge part of safety.
Site sources? I believe it, and let's connect the dots for others.

E

expeditionnorth

Good points but seems a tad on the lecturing side with the comment of pepper spray

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Here we go...the Firearm Safety Certificate study guide from the CA Office of the Attorney General: http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/hscsg.pdf. Includes self tests after each chapter. This link is to the same source but is the summary so it is a quicker read: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/pdf/cfl2016.pdf.

This is an interesting and very quick read, though not sure how to read it from the NFS: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5066182.pdf. I think may need to look up the Cooperative Wildlife Agreement it mentions.

This one is VERY interesting to read: Laws and Regulations in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks -- https://www.nps.gov/seki/learn/management/lawsandpolicies.htm. In part it states, "As of January 1, 2013, California law prohibits the open carry of any firearm within the parks. Persons otherwise permitted to possess firearms (in general) may possess a concealed firearm with a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm (CCW) from California. A CCW from another state does not apply." And, "Weapons (including, but not limited to, BB, Pellet and Paint Guns, Bow/Arrow, Slingshots, Bear Spray (emphasis added) and other compressed gas irritant devices) are illegal to possess (emphasis added). Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances. This also applies to concealed firearms with a valid CCW." this is a guess, but the NP's in CA may have the same or at least similar laws.

I guess you need to read up on the laws before you go to see what the laws are where you are intending to go. Kinda like checking road conditions before a trip.

I'm not trying to hijack a posting, but this is a very serious issue. Understanding firearm laws is, in my opinion, just as important as understanding firearms themselves.

Last edited:

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

As a ccw holder you are allowed to carry a gun in a national park just not inside any building in a national park since they are federal buildings. That is for california. Since 2010 firearms have been allowed in national parks. The states laws determine what the carry laws in the park.

Last edited:

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

^ This is the right answer. If you can legally carry in that state then you can do so inside the park boundaries, however, ALL structures (yes, even vault toilets) are federal buildings and thus prohibited areas. Outside those structures you just have to follow state laws regarding firearms.

If you are going to travel with firearms, I suggest you look into the app "Legal Heat". It is written by firearms lawyers to be easy to understand and is updated as laws change.

Site sources? I believe it, and let's connect the dots for others.
http://kutv.com/news/offbeat/hidden-gun-experiment-teaches-kids-parents-life-lessons

This same thing was covered by CNN, NPR, USA Today, most the major cable news sites, and pretty much every major broadcast news network. There is video in the link.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Great article! One thing I would like to see, however, is if you could put links to sources such as DOJ, CA AG, etc. That would be helpful. Reason I say that is some of what I heard from a deputy sheriff up in Nor Cal contradicts some of what is stated above. But, what others have said, it's possible the deputy I spoke to may not be completely familiar with all of it. For example, I was informed that it is legal to open carry in National Forest (Dept of Ag) but carry and even possessing a firearm - even locked, unloaded in your car - was absolutely forbidden in National Parks (Dept. of Interior).
@Lassen10463 thank you for reading my article and for the feedback. Without repeating much of what has already been written, I’ll address the points you brought up. Since I’m writing this in California, I’ll start with California law first;

VC 25610. “Section 25400 shall not be construed to prohibit any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or
is temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that the following applies to the firearm: (1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle.”
(I’ve edited non-relevant parts of the section)

Regarding the National Park System, HR627 section 512 “Prohibits the Secretary of the Interior from promulgating or enforcing any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm, including an assembled or functional firearm, in any unit of the National Park System (NPS) or the National Wildlife Refuge System (NWRS) if: (1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and (2) the possession of the firearm complies with the law of the state in which the NPS or NWRS unit is located.” This section became law February 22, 2010.
Everything I’ve read and researched regarding National Forest land basically states that local state and federal laws apply.

US Code Title 18 Part I Chapter 44 Section 930 Does not allow Firearms or dangerous weapons in any federal facility (Building).
US Code Title 18 Part I Chapter 44 Section926A Allows transportation of firearms on federal land in a locked container.

I hope this adds clarification to some of the many statutes regarding this subject. By the responses and posts I’m glad to see the article met the intended purpose of getting folks to ask questions and research the information as I urged them to do so in the original article.

As a side note, since the article is about camping with and transporting firearms, I purposely did not discuss firearm safety past the minimum basics, CCW, and open carry (unlawful since 2012 per PC26350) as those are huge subjects that should have their own dedicated article.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlysonH

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Good points but seems a tad on the lecturing side with the comment of pepper spray
@expeditionnorth there was no lecturing intended regarding the use of pepper spray. That paragraph was added for those unable to carry or uncomfortable carrying a firearm. As a 30 plus year LEO (Retired) who carried pepper (OC) spray and also mace back in the day, I can say its a good non lethal alternative when placed in a situation where harsh words may not be enough to protect yourself or others.

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

@Lassen10463 thank you for reading my article and for the feedback. Without repeating much of what has already been written, I’ll address the points you brought up. Since I’m writing this in California, I’ll start with California law first;

VC 25610. “Section 25400 shall not be construed to prohibit any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or
is temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that the following applies to the firearm: (1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle.”
(I’ve edited non-relevant parts of the section)

Regarding the National Park System, HR627 section 512 “Prohibits the Secretary of the Interior from promulgating or enforcing any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm, including an assembled or functional firearm, in any unit of the National Park System (NPS) or the National Wildlife Refuge System (NWRS) if: (1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and (2) the possession of the firearm complies with the law of the state in which the NPS or NWRS unit is located.” This section became law February 22, 2010.
Everything I’ve read and researched regarding National Forest land basically states that local state and federal laws apply.

US Code Title 18 Part I Chapter 44 Section 930 Does not allow Firearms or dangerous weapons in any federal facility (Building).
US Code Title 18 Part I Chapter 44 Section926A Allows transportation of firearms on federal land in a locked container.

I hope this adds clarification to some of the many statutes regarding this subject. By the responses and posts I’m glad to see the article met the intended purpose of getting folks to ask questions and research the information as I urged them to do so in the original article.

As a side note, since the article is about camping with and transporting firearms, I purposely did not discuss firearm safety past the minimum basics, CCW, and open carry (unlawful since 2012 per PC26350) as those are huge subjects that should have their own dedicated article.
AWESOME!

Last edited:
Reactions: Narbob
E

expeditionnorth

@expeditionnorth there was no lecturing intended regarding the use of pepper spray. That paragraph was added for those unable to carry or uncomfortable carrying a firearm. As a 30 plus year LEO (Retired) who carried pepper (OC) spray and also mace back in the day, I can say its a good non lethal alternative when placed in a situation where harsh words may not be enough to protect yourself or others.
Ok thanks
Wasn't trying to be rude
Hope it didn't come across that way looking back

chris90

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Townsville, Australia
Member #

I hope this doesn't come across in the wrong way but over in Aus we have a very different culture with firearms and I'm just curious why you take them camping? Is there a credible chance of needing them for protection from bears in many areas?

Just to clarify I have no problem with firearms and have plenty of experience with weapons both from the military and on civvy st and from my perspective it seems more trouble than it's worth to have to worry about safety and security of weapons when you are trying to relax on a camping trip, then again maybe I'm just lazy.

Last edited:

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
I hope this doesn't come across in the wrong way but over in Aus we have a very different culture with firearms and I'm just curious why you take them camping? Is there a credible chance of needing them for protection from bears in many areas?

Just to clarify I have no problem with firearms and have plenty of experience with weapons both from the military and on civvy st and from my perspective it seems more trouble than it's worth to have to worry about safety and security of weapons when you are trying to relax on a camping trip, then again maybe I'm just lazy.
@chris90 -It's a valid question. Speaking for myself, I tend to camp alone in some remote places and I like the security of knowing I can defend myself against animal or human predators. Aside from coyotes and sometimes bears, I'm a little more concerned about the people that have removed themselves from society and live in the remote area of the deserts and forest. Although I'm glad to say that I've never had a bad encounter, I do like being prepared.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
@chris90 -It's a valid question. Speaking for myself, I tend to camp alone in some remote places and I like the security of knowing I can defend myself against animal or human predators. Aside from coyotes and sometimes bears, I'm a little more concerned about the people that have removed themselves from society and live in the remote area of the deserts and forest. Although I'm glad to say that I've never had a bad encounter, I do like being prepared.
Likewise here in Northwestern Arizona, there are plenty of people you don't want to come across unarmed, fortunately I haven't. I have however came face to face to a large mountain lion, that had stalked me for over an hour while I was hiking alone, in a State park where it was unlawful to discharge a weapon. I did however have my side arm in the ready, while making my way out of the large cats territory without it trying to take a piece of me for lunch. Glad I was armed, and even more glad I didn't have to use it.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Likewise here in Northwestern Arizona, there are plenty of people you don't want to come across unarmed, fortunately I haven't. I have however came face to face to a large mountain lion, that had stalked me for over an hour while I was hiking alone, in a State park where it was unlawful to discharge a weapon. I did however have my side arm in the ready, while making my way out of the large cats territory without it trying to take a piece of me for lunch. Glad I was armed, and even more glad I didn't have to use it.
That's scary. I do believe in the saying " Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"

chris90

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Townsville, Australia
Member #

That's pretty full on. Luckily we have a lack of large predators that stalk you through the bush here.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

It's not about the chances, it's the stakes.

I take a gun with me (and not just camping) because there is a chance, although a slight one, that I will need it. Bear, moose, mountain lion, coyote, and the occasional human can be problematic in my area. I was out camping with a guy who told us about stumbling in on a meth kitchen set up in an old ghost town. The space and weight costs of an appropriate firearm for the environment is negligible, but the comfort and protection it brings is immeasurable.

I've gone into more detail in other posts here, so I won't rehash what's already been said.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Is there a credible chance of needing them for protection from bears in many areas?
Yes. Typically see a few in the area that I camp. It's mostly a really effective noise maker.... and a Plan B if absolutely necessary.