Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

It makes me groan to see Lowes and Walmart parking lots listed in it. I don't judge anyone for staying where they do. I myself have napped as needed along the road. It just lends an air of dubious quality to the app's entries.
I agree and I don't know how they would take it if I opened up the RTT in the parking lot! LOL

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Yea, I know what you mean by Walmart, Lowes, Bass Pro Shop, et al, ....been there done that! BUT if you need to cover ground and get some shut eye, I've been VERY grateful to have ANY place to stay. Yea, it's not on the top of Engineer's Pass in CO with an awesome view, but it is sleep so you are in good fiddle for the next day, SO you can make it to Engineer's Pass (or wherever :-)

And I don't think anyone cares if you deploy your RTT.

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Yea, I know what you mean by Walmart, Lowes, Bass Pro Shop, et al, ....been there done that! BUT if you need to cover ground and get some shut eye, I've been VERY grateful to have ANY place to stay. Yea, it's not on the top of Engineer's Pass in CO with an awesome view, but it is sleep so you are in good fiddle for the next day, SO you can make it to Engineer's Pass (or wherever :-)

And I don't think anyone cares if you deploy your RTT.
I think there might be a big difference between Basspro and Walmart when it comes to the RTT. I would much rather have those that shop a Basspro checking out my RTT then “The people of Walmart”
Either way, we’re getting up very early and getting the heck out of Dodge.

FlyingFischer5

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
Member #

I was looking for a app like this and couldn't find one. Thanks for the heads up and I'll check it out and hopefully find some use for it.

Overland Vic

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Vic
Last Name
Member #

I agree and I don't know how they would take it if I opened up the RTT in the parking lot! LOL
Hey Hank! That's what I thought when I passed by a truck with a RTT setup in Kalispell, MT Walmart one morning.

For those who don't want Walmart searches in their search results, on a mobile device, you can select filter on the top right side and slide "informal campsites" to off and that should keep any places that are an unadvertised camp spot often associated with another business (Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Cabelas etc..) or institution (Gas station, restaurant, etc) from showing up on your search results. If you're looking for Free campsites, check off "Established Campsites" (I believe 99.9% of Established sites require a fee). Happy Camping!

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I just finished a trip up California to the Lost Coast and I used iOverlander a lot looking for dispersed sites. I was out of range a lot and I like that the info is available offline, though the map doesn’t load. So I used it in conjunction with my Gaia maps. It lead me to this spot just north of Fort Bragg off Hwy 1 :)
69C5F068-1A5D-4BE2-ADB5-35BAB1BDC2CA.jpeg

Overland Vic

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Vic
Last Name
Member #

I just finished a trip up California to the Lost Coast and I used iOverlander a lot looking for dispersed sites. I was out of range a lot and I like that the info is available offline, though the map doesn’t load. So I used it in conjunction with my Gaia maps. It lead me to this spot just north of Fort Bragg off Hwy 1 :)
View attachment 80736
Wow, can't complain about that view. Nice find. Just curious, how do you use Ioverlander in conjunction with Gaia?

Thanks!

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Wow, can't complain about that view. Nice find. Just curious, how do you use Ioverlander in conjunction with Gaia?

Thanks!
I use them separately but together. :)
So if I’m out of service range iOverlander won’t display a map, however it will still give me a blue dot for my location and campsites nearby. The info is already preloaded for description and coordinates independent of service. Then I use Gaia to map out the coordinates to locate the site. If you have service iOverlander can handle all that for you.

No can’t complain, I used it to find these spots as well.

The ocean is just over the berm
ABA09A48-B735-4C57-BBB2-87373E594B60.jpeg 8E4B0EC1-1636-455A-9E42-43AA052B58D9.jpeg

Zacharry Sison

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Antioch, CA, USA
First Name
Zacharry
Last Name
Sison
Member #

I wish I saw this post the other day, I was looking for a place to camp in el dorado national forest all day after snowboarding; I was not trying to drive back to the bay area tired!!
but glad to see there is an app for this!

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

iOverlander is a new app for finding free campsites, worldwide, see
ioverlander.com
It’s all based on user input content and allows you to pull up places within about 100km of where you are.

If you look it up you will see there is not much posted about free camping in the US, YET, but with self help that problem will be resolved, again it is a new app!

SO, join up and add the places you know of that offer free camping.

And FIND places where you can camp for free!
Sounds like a cool app to utilize … I'll have my kids figure out first they are electronically smarter than I am.

ZR2_Zamboni

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lancaster, OH, USA
Member #

I use an app similar to that for EVs called PlugShare. Relies on members to update and rate the public electric charging stations operational capability.

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

It makes me groan to see Lowes and Walmart parking lots listed in it. I don't judge anyone for staying where they do. I myself have napped as needed along the road. It just lends an air of dubious quality to the app's entries.
I hear you but this app was created for people who are international travelers. So sometimes just finding a safe place to sleep is crucial.